1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Camera for movies?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by wildbillmusic, Oct 19, 2003.

1. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all again, i've started a new post, because the last one (with the same subject) didnt really phrase it all too well, and I got lots of different suggestions (which is good, but i just go confused a bit!), anyway heres the same question remixed!..... My budjet is £300...

Is the Minolta dimage z1 the best option for a camera that is good for taking movies and and storing a lot of them. Is thier a better one for this price rangeBasically I need....

A camera than can do good avereage pictures (2 million pixels standard? or something like that), have a good zoom and be Very Good at...

Taking movies
    Have a good storage space on it (or be compatible with high qaulty memor cards etc)
    Have a good duration for movies (like 1 minuit each)

Cheers all and thanks for your time! :smashin:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I think the Z1 is about as good as you will get at the moment for video. It is certainly the best I have seen on a digital camera.
    Storage is on memory card that you replace once full. You can then download the footage from the cards to a PC, delete the files on the card and then reuse it again. Therefore storage is down to how many/how large the cards are that you buy.
    My Minolta Dimage 7 will take continueous movies until the card is full, and I would think the Z1 would do this as well. Therefore the length of the video is only restricted by the size of the memory cards.

Mark.

ps, if I didn't already have the Dimage 7 I could be very tempted by the Z1.

3. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response, respect that.....!

ahhh i see, so theres no limit to the duration then. Cool. Ive just been looking on sites and stuff, ive found some possibilitie myself acutally..

Fuji FinePix S304 Zoom
    Fuji Finepix M603 Zoom
    Minolta Dimage F300

If I bought a the Dimage, you get a 16 MB SD card with it. How much can this store pictures wise (in defualt mode)/ Movies wise (in the 30fps with sound mode). Like, say if i just left it on record for movies till the memory ran out, how long would it go for on 16 mb? im thinking of buying also a 128 mb SD card, or possibly higher, but not sure yet!

Cheers!

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Minolta Dimage Z1:
    Storage Capacity
    Approximate storage capacity of a 16MB SD (Secure Digital) Memory Card
    2048 x 1536/1600 x 1200/1280 x 960/640 x 480
    Fine 9 frames/14 frames/22 frames/69 frames
    Standard 17 frames/27 frames/39 frames/100 frames
    Economy 32 frames/47 frames/69 frames/150 frames

Movie Clips
    640 x 480/320 x 240/160 x 120
    30 fps 13 sec/21 sec./1 min. 22 sec.
    15 fps 26 sec./41 sec./2 min. 30 sec.
    Movie clips recorded with audio.
    Actual number of images may vary depending upon the subject and memory card.

Any camera with the same amount of pixels will give very similar results as the above.
    Not all cameras will give continuous video. Some will only record for set set period of 30 seconds etc not until the card is full. Also I do not know of any other digicams than the Z1 that will do such high quality video.

Mark.

5. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think im going for the Z1 now with a 128MB SD card. One thing i noticed on some sites it has a large flash light onthe top of the camera, and on some other pictures its not. The flash isnt something purchsed seperatly is it?

And also, it says it takes 4 AA bateries so i take it id have to buy rechargables to go with it.

Cheers

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The Z1 has built in, but low power flash (max distance of 20Ft) and an external flash can be used.
    You will need to buy Ni-MH rechargeable AA batteries for this camera. You could use standard disposable batteries but this will cost a fortune. Do NOT try and use lower cost Ni-Cad rechargeables as they will last next to no time and may even be too low powered to power up the camera.

Mark.

7. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you recomend me some good rechargable batteris for this camera then please?

Thanks

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
  9. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This forum is propa! I’ve done the same thing on some others, but not as excellent response as this! Thanks to everyone, now all i got to do is do some over time work!

My Final Question......

: Can you recommend the best quality rechargeable batteries (with charger) for the Z1, like ones that will last a long time with this particular model.

: Also, Can anyone recommend the best/cheapset 128MB SD card

: Finally, a decent bag to keep it in, after all im taking it biking with me (a hard case or something?).

Budget for all these accessories is strictly no more than £100.

I’m thinking of buying the Z1 from Amazon as its quite cheap there, and its free delivery so if I can buy the accessories from hem that would be cool (I’m England Based)

Cheers all, keep up the good work and if any of you want a chat sometime just ask.

WB

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    From the site I listed above:
    Powerline 4 Upgrade Deal AP4FC with batteries upgraded to 2200 mAH Nimh AA cells for only an extra £5 - Great offer!!
    UPGRADED WITH:4x 2200 mAh Nimh AA cells £49.95

The higher the mAH value the longer the batteries will last.
    This charger can be used abroad on different voltages and comes with changerble plugs.
    They also do a good range of cases around £20
    128Mb SD card from £35

Total cost of around your £100 budget.

Also worth looking at a Jessops shop as they will pricematch the internet prices as long as it is a UK site and everything is in stock. Might save a bit of a headache if something goes wrong.

Mark.

11. wildbillmusic

wildbillmusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking of buying it all from amazon except for a case which I will buy from the one you suggested to me. Can you have a look at what im buying an tell me if im getting a good deal? Cheers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008GSXP/026-6601878-8787666 (£25)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000A42WJ/026-6601878-8787666 (£34)

and of course...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...47355/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-6601878-8787666 (£267)

Total: £325

Where as I can get this deal from photosense...

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/minolta_Z1_offers.html (£353) (including delivery, where amazon is free delivery)

WHICH DEAL IS BETTER DO YOU THINK!?

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    To be honest, why spend the extra £28 with fotosense?
    They both seem to be offering much the same, so go for the cheaper. I have never had any problems with Amazon.

As I said though, why not go to Jessops with a printout of all the details from Amazon and get them to pricematch/beat! If you do have any problems then there is somebody to talk to face to face. You also get to play with the camera before you buy to see if you like the way it handles.

Mark.