1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Camcorder in Dark or Low Light

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Rookies, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    I have just returned a Panasonic Camcorder as it was rubbish in low light and dark at night compare to my old 5 year old camcorder. I am wondering if anyone know of any good ones at night time and low light in the budget of up to £500

2. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You get chuff all at that price range I'm afraid. You need a 3CCD camera and stick a wide angle adaptor on it too!

A camera with a big lens - a lot of glass is a good bet, but never a certainty.

Hyper HAD chips are something to look out for, VX2100 - £2500.

3. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't say they are all rubbish at this price range, this has been discussed on here before by people wishing to film kids in the house with obvious low light issues.
    In this budget the old opinion was that the Sony TRV22 having a single bigger CCD was best for low light as opposed to the TRV33 that had 3 CCD's.
    Sony also apparently came out on top against the Panasonic and JVC's I was looking at in the same price bracket.
    Anyway I got the TRV22 and it is perfectly acceptable in low light and has a night vision mode for filming in the dark, which again will show the subject reasonably well albeit in a green screen effect.
    Lets face it, night vision goggles are not perfect at 5 grand!
    If you are looking for perfection in low light then you would probably be working for a film studio and wouldn't be here in the first place!

4. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Generally, the bigger the CCD, the better it is in low light. The VX2001 & VX2000 have a reputation for superb low light performance with 3 X 1/3" CCD's. But a lot of cams in that price range have 1/3" CCD's.....& don't work as well in low light!

5. lion789lion

lion789lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the sony TRV14, i had the same problem and tried many camcorders, and this one is by far the best.

6. p306

p306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None of the camcorders in lower price range are good in low light nowadays. Use of external video lights would help, inbuilt lights you can find on some of them are almost useless.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ultimate low light is not necessary a good measure.

The TRV33 will generally not go as low as some cameras, but does maintain colour performance quite well.

My previous camera (Sony HVC4000P) worked down to 35 lux but in border line conditions retained better colours than a Panasonic CCD camera with a vhs deck in it. The Pana worked in lower light but in the conditions lost colour well before my HVC4000P, this I thought was very interesting, wide aperture, gain on high yet picture was pretty good, the Pana was black and white!

You have to test each camera - not just go on figures.

8. p306

p306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SONY TRV33 is a good choice in its price range especially because of its 16:9 shooting quality.
    What I mean to say is that one can improve shooting quality in dim light using external video light. Any small camera is far from having good low light qualities and yours is one of the best among those.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A light is useful, but I do little inside or in dark, inside is not bad.