1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best calibration tool?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by peter123, Jan 6, 2005.

1. peter123

peter123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the best settings for infocus 7200 PJ? i want the best possible image

im very dissipointed in DVE and calibrator they provided no proper explanation...

any guide perhaps online or something?

thanks

2. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    avia......for ntsc though :thumbsup: tried it out when i first got it and didn't really like the results (probably my fault though not taking my time)

i've yet to really get into setting my pj up with it yet, i have the pal dve aswell, so i'm going to have a go over the next week or so, as i've just got a new dvd player and screen.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,020
    To set white and black levels, I think DVE has a 3 bar pattern or PLUGE somewhere. You set the brightness so that only two black bars are just visible, and contrast for the white bars.

For NTSC, you'll need Avia and the needle pulse tests.

Setting black and white levels is very important IMHO. It's what determines a good contrast ratio to a degree, and also makes sure you are getting all the dark and light detail from your display. Otherwise the image can look wahshed out with noisy dark areas, or be masking shadow detail and sky detail such as clouds.

As this often comes up, I think we need an FAQ or similar so that people can quickly look at how to uses these disks easily without having to trawl through the disk trying to find the correct test patterns. I looked at DVE but couldn't find what I wanted without a lot of effort. I have a Peter Finzel test disk which has good documentation on how to use it, so I tend to use that for PAL if I need to:

http://www.peterfinzel.de/pftd.htm

Use babelfish or similar to translate. I have a .pdf in English with a list of all the stuff that's on the disk, so it's easy to find what you need.

Gary.