Best calibrated settings PS60E550 Samsung

Mastbruch

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps really happy so far especially the 3D & HD channels but just wondered if I have the settings correct.
I have basically just left the picture as it come in the box and wondered if anyone has any tips on on making a decent picture even better.

Thanks.

Same here! So many options there.... So hoping someone found a good setting yet ;)

if you want the best out of the tv, get it calibrated properly, either pay someone or buy some gear your self.
heres a free dvd that can help set brightness(to refrence black) contrast,, colour, and tint(colour and tint via using blue filter built in tv)sharpness.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration
as for any other settings, like colour gamat and 10pt wb you need a proper metter.
also if you use movie mode as this is the most accurate you will need a 2pt white balance adjustment you can do it by eye and get it to look better but its not gonna be 100% accurate and you will never be 100% happy untill you get it calibrated properly.
with a tv of this quality calibration is a real must in my op the difference can be night and day.

Last edited:
heres some setting to try
these are my old settings from a different duller firmware but might look great on your tvs but it might not
just remember any settings you get from anyone that has hd there set calibrated doesnt mean yours will be as everyset is different and trust me when i say that whats good for one wont always be good for another.
these are from a 59"d550
my setting are for gamma 2.2.

movie mode - warm 2
cell - 18
contrast - 95
brightness - 45
sharpness -10
colour - 43
tint g53/r47
gamma - +2
cinema smooth - on(else the gamma is all or the place as will be the colours)
edge enhancment - on
colour space,
red = r69/g43/b20
green = r100/g70/b0
blue = r/5/g33/b100
yellow = r62/g55/b0
cyan = r100/g67/b63
magenta = r65/g81/b100
2pt wb = offset = r30/g28/b18
= gain = r18/g22/b26
10pt wb
interval
1 = r-4/g-4/b-4
2 = r-5/g-5/b-5
3 = r-2/g-2/b-2
4 = r-3/g-3/b-3
5 = r0/g0/b0
6 = r0/g0/b0
7 = r+3/g+3/b+3
8 = r+1/g+1/b+1
9 = r/+10g/+10b/+10
10 = r+10/g+10/b+10

Ok thanks! I will try it out :)

I will also look for a DVD for calibration. Main problem is that of most settings I dont know yet what it means... lol

the dvd above is free and will do everything you need and more that you cant unless you have a metter.

Just back... Some settings are the same... but only the first part up to gamma. When I figured out my settings with the dvd I will come back with my settings.

heres some setting to try
these are my old settings from a different duller firmware but might look great on your tvs but it might not
just remember any settings you get from anyone that has hd there set calibrated doesnt mean yours will be as everyset is different and trust me when i say that whats good for one wont always be good for another.
these are from a 59"d550
my setting are for gamma 2.2.

movie mode - warm 2
cell - 18
contrast - 95
brightness - 45
sharpness -10
colour - 43
tint g53/r47
gamma - +2
cinema smooth - on(else the gamma is all or the place as will be the colours)
edge enhancment - on
colour space,
red = r69/g43/b20
green = r100/g70/b0
blue = r/5/g33/b100
yellow = r62/g55/b0
cyan = r100/g67/b63
magenta = r65/g81/b100
2pt wb = offset = r30/g28/b18
= gain = r18/g22/b26
10pt wb
interval
1 = r-4/g-4/b-4
2 = r-5/g-5/b-5
3 = r-2/g-2/b-2
4 = r-3/g-3/b-3
5 = r0/g0/b0
6 = r0/g0/b0
7 = r+3/g+3/b+3
8 = r+1/g+1/b+1
9 = r/+10g/+10b/+10
10 = r+10/g+10/b+10

+2 gamma?
Thought 0 was 2.2 on Samsungs and 2.4 is -1?

+2 gamma?
Thought 0 was 2.2 on Samsungs and 2.4 is -1?
every tv is different and with the firmware cap and the low output (this is why proper calibration is a must to get the best from the tv)
now im on 1024 in steadof 1026 and my tv will output 120cdm easy in movie mode unlike before max was 98cdm, and now 0 is gamma 2.2 but thats only because it calibrated with the 10pt white balance to smooth out the gamma, if you see these tvs pre calibration results you will see gamma is all over the place and can go from gamma 2 to 2.4 just like that.
this was my brothers tv d550 59" (same as mine and his tv is totaly different)
his is still on 1026 and pre calibration on 0 gamma is gamma 2.4

gamma-1.jpg

this is mine on firmware 1026 as you can see its totally different.
gamma.jpg

Last edited:
Well... I played around a bit with those paterns... But I guess my eyes are bad lol, for example with that color patern (from basics) I almost couldnt see a difference when changing some color settings, or at least I couldnt get it better. Maybe its also because I don't understand yet what Im changing and because options have different names. Like the color settings in the xxyyD550 are already different with the xxyyE550.

Or maybe the default settings were already good enough.....

did you use the blue filter built in on the tv for tint and colour.

Well... i read about it... but could find it. So i was guessing the tv didnt had a blue filter. Maybe i should read the manual lol

it should have one, in the advanced setting its called rgb mode select blue.

I found it, and now I understand why I couldn't find/use it. It is not available when using allshare :(

Also not when using USB stick. But it does work on HDMI. So I guess I should should calibrate via HDMI channel and then take those settings over for allshare. Because each channel (allshare, usb,etc) has its own settings....

Also I just found out that when using xbox I dont get Dolby Digital/DTS over HDMI. So xbox is with HDMI connected to TV and optical out i used to connect to my receiver. But when I look in the sound settings I can only select PCM, so I dont get DTS/DD on my receiver....

Also not when using USB stick. But it does work on HDMI. So I guess I should should calibrate via HDMI channel and then take those settings over for allshare. Because each channel (allshare, usb,etc) has its own settings....
first of burn to dvd or bluray and calibrate on your bluray player, then you can transfer all the settings across.

Also I just found out that when using xbox I dont get Dolby Digital/DTS over HDMI. So xbox is with HDMI connected to TV and optical out i used to connect to my receiver. But when I look in the sound settings I can only select PCM, so I dont get DTS/DD on my receiver....
the xbox has already decoded the audio as dd or dts so the amp will pick it up as pcm 5.1 as the amp is not doing the work(decoding) now if it did the decoding it would lite up with dd or dts.
so use hdmi to the amp or optical, hdmi is only a benifit to devices that can output hd sound like bluray player hd,dvd players and ps3.

I thought the TV could just pass through the sound (DD/DTS) to the amp what is given to him? So I was wondering if it could have to do with the HDMI cable Im using....

I played some more with the patterns now I was able to use the RGB filter. But I dont know, looks like I cant get it better the default settings... Also with every pattern (from the basics) I use it seems like Im going the opposite direction again. E.g. with pattern 2 I get low brightness settings and with pattern 3 I get high brightness settings. It seems more beneficial to me to adjust it when watching a movie.

I thought the TV could just pass through the sound (DD/DTS) to the amp what is given to him? So I was wondering if it could have to do with the HDMI cable Im using....

I played some more with the patterns now I was able to use the RGB filter. But I dont know, looks like I cant get it better the default settings... Also with every pattern (from the basics) I use it seems like Im going the opposite direction again. E.g. with pattern 2 I get low brightness settings and with pattern 3 I get high brightness settings. It seems more beneficial to me to adjust it when watching a movie.
surely its just as easy to have a hdmi from xbox to amp or hdmi to tv and optical to amp, then hdmi to tv the optical to tv.

also if your happy to adjust to eye from a film then your not worried about getting as close to calibration as you can with the means you have,
use the full black screen for brightness. and the full white one for contrast and then the colour/tint with the blue filter, set brightness so that refrence black cant be seen(i find turn the brightness right up then turn down a notch at a time try not to blink untill you cant see refrence black) and with the contrast(white level) depending on how bright you like it turn it to max and back of untill your happy(make sure you have no colour shift) it might tint red(means the colour red has run out) back of untill it goes back to normal.

Yeah thats what I did now, HDMI from xbox to TV and optical to amp (my amp doesnt have HDMI). But that doesnt make sense, why would it work for you with a PS3 or BD player and not for me with an Xbox. Its not that different... When I use my cable decoder with HDMI to tv or with CI+, then on the TV I can select what kind of audio it outputs to spdif (PCM or DD). Same when using allshare (PCM, DD or DTS depending on the movie), but when I use xbox I can't... Its like greyed out.

And for the colors, it will take some time before I found my settings hehe.. Only I do feel more and more irritated by the reflections. After using a beamer I was hoping I could have a more lighter room now, but I still need to keep it dark.... Or maybe Im just used to watching TV in a dark room after all those years lol

Yeah thats what I did now, HDMI from xbox to TV and optical to amp (my amp doesnt have HDMI). But that doesnt make sense, why would it work for you with a PS3 or BD player and not for me with an Xbox. Its not that different... When I use my cable decoder with HDMI to tv or with CI+, then on the TV I can select what kind of audio it outputs to spdif (PCM or DD). Same when using allshare (PCM, DD or DTS depending on the movie), but when I use xbox I can't... Its like greyed out.

And for the colors, it will take some time before I found my settings hehe.. Only I do feel more and more irritated by the reflections. After using a beamer I was hoping I could have a more lighter room now, but I still need to keep it dark.... Or maybe Im just used to watching TV in a dark room after all those years lol
what have you got the xbox to output is it pcm(decoded information) and what have you got your other sources set to pcm or bitstream. and you will get used to it over time.

Well.... on the Xbox I can only select stereo, DTS or DD WMA (or some microsoft thing). It doesnt make sense to me... If I connect any other device, then on that device I select if it outputs DTS,DD or stereo or something. That output should just be passed on by the tv to the amp, no matter if its DTS, DD or stereo... Same as you do with your PS3, unless you link the HDMI cable directly to your amp.
Also the tv doesn't remember its setting, so when I watch a movie with allshare I have to select DTS output (or DD when thats in the movie) in the sound settings. But the next time I use allshare again I have set it again.

Just stupid that the TV doesnt recognize if it gets DTS, DD or PCM. If if gets DTS then it just should output DTS and not PCM

Well.... on the Xbox I can only select stereo, DTS or DD WMA (or some microsoft thing). It doesnt make sense to me... If I connect any other device, then on that device I select if it outputs DTS,DD or stereo or something. That output should just be passed on by the tv to the amp, no matter if its DTS, DD or stereo... Same as you do with your PS3, unless you link the HDMI cable directly to your amp.
Also the tv doesn't remember its setting, so when I watch a movie with allshare I have to select DTS output (or DD when thats in the movie) in the sound settings. But the next time I use allshare again I have set it again.

Just stupid that the TV doesnt recognize if it gets DTS, DD or PCM. If if gets DTS then it just should output DTS and not PCM
i understand what your saying, my ps3 is connected via hdmi to my amp.

right if your xbox is connected to the tv via optical and then the tv to the amp via optical, and you select the xbox to output the audio as dts(the xbox converts the oaudio to dts) and sends it to the tv as pcm(decoded data) so the tv will output it as what it is pcm(dts 5.1) and on the amp it will show as pcm(because the amp doesnt need to do any decoding)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom