1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best cabling for this system?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by calvinhobbes, Feb 7, 2005.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I have the following system and wanted to know what the best way of wiring it up was:

Sources:
    Homechoice: (RGB) Scart Output only
    Xbox: Composite Video
    HTPC inc DVD Player: 2xDVI/VGA out
    Denon 2805 (3x component in, 1x component out, 6xs-video/composite, upscaling to compoent)

Displays:
    Sony VPL-HS50 10m away from sources: 1x Component, VGA, HDMI, Composite Inputs
    Pioneer MXE1 3m away from sources: 1x Component, VGA, DVI, Composite Inputs

I see two options in terms of cabling:

1. Standard
    Use Denon as switcher / router, add a component splitter/DA to split the 1x Denon component output to the two displays
    Homehoice: Use Scart>Composite into Denon (upscaled to the 1x COmponent output)
    Xbox: Use Composite into Denon (upscaled to the 1x COmponent output)
    HTPC DVD player: Use DVI cables backed up by VGA cables to both displays directly.

2. HTPC
    Use both Denon and HTPC as a switcher and router.
    Basically, exactly same as above, but have the 1x Denon component output to go to a Sweetspot video capture card on the HTPC instead of the splitter/DA, then use HTPC's dual DVI/VGA out to displays directly.

Any thoughts on the two options or any suggestions in terms of other options?

Cheers

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello calvinhobbes

As per recent correspondence I'd definitely forget about using the Denon to up-convert - especially so if it means going back a step in quality at the source to begin with.

Have you considered the HiDef cable pack for your X-Box? You then have YUV out from this source.

Do you require all sources to both Display devices?

Can you configure the two DVI outputs to different resolutions to best suit the Plasma and Projector?

Do you require both Displays active at one and the same time?

Best regards

Joe

3. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe

Yes, I'll get the hi def pack for the Xbox.

I require the Projector to have all sources, with the Plasma, I can probably live without the XBox.

On the resolutions, I think both do 720p so I'll stick to that.

Both displays won't be active at the same time.

Cheers

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello calvinhobbes

Your 'problem' is going to be fiscal :)

Given no limitations on your spend on a solution I'd simply install a Zektor HDS4.2 YUV switcher for your Analogue Switching and Distribution.

Digibox > RGB2YUV converter > HDS4.2
    X-Box > HiDef pack > HDS4.2
    AVR-2805 > HDS4.2

HDS4.2 > Output 01 to Plasma + Output 02 > Projector.

HTPC DVI > Output 01 to Plasma + Output 02 > Projector.

Any Composite or S-Video sources can go through the AVR-2805 and be unconverted to YUV.

Problem is that that lot will cost you near 600.00 GBP.

A more expensive alternative (approx 1000.00 GBP) would be to introduce a DVDO or Lumagen Video Processor + Gefen DVI Distribution amp and process and switch all sources via the Processor with dedicated output settings to best match the Projector and Plasma.

Possibly less costly than all of the above would be your initial suggestion to add a capture card to you PC and input the RGB signal from your Digibox and then output to your Displays and bypass the AV Receiver altogether.

Best regards

Joe

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Back again

I forgot - you can reverse wire the lower cost Zektor HDS4 switcher; it can act as a 1 In 4 Out Distribution Switcher (only one Output active at any time).

So:
    Digibox > RGB2YUV converter > AVR-2805
    X-Box > HiDef pack > AVR-2805
    AVR-2805 > HDS4

HDS4 > Output 01 to Plasma + Output 02 > Projector.

HTPC DVI > Output 01 to Plasma + Output 02 > Projector

Budget will be nearer 400.00 GBP.

Best regards

Joe

6. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe. What's the quality difference between the Zektor and something like the Video Storm / Inlay Distribution Amp? www.video-storm.com

On the Xbox component, I've just learnt you need to mod the xbox to get it to display component

Cheers

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello Calvinhobbes

If the Video Storm products are as well built as the Zektor products they should be pretty good - Zektor build the HDS4 and HDS4.2 to a very high quality.

There are lots of examples of folk trying less expensive switchers and not being happy with the results - probably best to do a search on a US Forum though!.

Here's what Zektor say is important in a Video switcher - http://www.zektor.com/support/componentvideo.htm

Keep in mind too the Zektor kit is CE approved - not sure if Video Storm, are looking to the UK/Euro market and have gone to the expense of CE approval and UK/Euro power supplies.

If your sticking with SCART RGB out from the X-Box simply daisy chain it into and out of your Digibox - I'm assuming your Digibox has SCART RGB pass-through.

Best regards

Joe

8. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You only need to mod the Xbox to display 480p, 720p etc you can use the hi-def kit to output thru yuv still though.

This is what i have configured, with my non-modded xbox going into YUV on av amp using a hi-def kit (dvdboxoffice.com appx £17 shipped for offical MS one)

Joe, is that the uk price for the Zektor unit (HDS4) then £400?? does that include any cables or just the HDS4(.2) am looking for something similar myself due to possible upgrade of DVD player to a componet capable one, will run out of YUV connections on amp if I do upgrade

regards
    Gary

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    nealgs

The guide price is for a twin output unit - drop me a PM for pricing on the single output unit.

Cables tend to be on an 'as required' basis.

Best regards

Joe