1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best cable to use for sony vpl-hs2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paul1672, Jul 31, 2003.

1. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi there.
    i'm totally new to all this so please be gentle.
    i've recently purchased my first front projector (sony vpl-hs2) after owning a rear projection tv (toshiba 42inch) for a couple of years.
    what i am asking is what would be the best way to connect the projector to my panasonic dmr-hs2 dvd recorder?i have looked around this forum and the general idea i get is that component is best.the only problem is as far as i can see the dvd recorder doesn't have component out.
    is there a way around this at all?
    also,i have heard various people talk about screendoor effect,sorry to sound thick but what exactly is this please?
    sorry for my ignorance and i thank-you in advance for your help.
    paul1672

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Screen door is the effect of the LCD panel showing its grid formation on your picture, just like you can see how a normal TVs pixel make up if you get to close to the screen. This can be reduced or got rid of by you viewing position being far enough away ( 2 times the width of your projected image rec.). A very slight defocus can also help.

Sony I believe has a dedicated lead to send component through the HS2.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    http://www.shootandshow.com/sony-vpl-hs10.htm

which can be found at

www.nexnix.co.uk

These leads are actually for the HS10 but will work on the HS2. As your DVD does not have component out I would suggest using s-video for now and buy this -

SIC-HS40 PJ Multi to Composite, S-Video, Component Cable £85+VAT

So that when and if you go for a deck with component out you have the leads ready. (they will need to order it from Sony).

I had an HS2 on demo for a week and thought that it offered a cracking image with s-video. As for screendoor, its called that in reference to the fly screens american homes have on the porch door. So, when you watch a film and a PJ has noticable screen door it is said to be like watching a movie through this.
    Also called chicken wire effect too!:lesson:

There is some screendoor apparent on the HS2 but it depends on your seating and a slight defocus will help, but not enough to ruin the image. Therefore, enjoy your PJ:hiya:

Cap:smashin:

4. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    many thanks for your quick replys.
    very much appreciated.
    guess i'll just have to use s-video for now.
    would you recommend using a reasonably good make of s-video lead or would a lead from maplins do (their own make costing £15 for 10m)
    everything makes alot more sense to me now.
    i am sooo looking forward to receiving my pj and having a play with it (should be here today).
    paul1672

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I suppose it depends on what you want to spend and the distance from your DVD deck to the PJ. I use IXOS scart leads in the lounge, I happen to think that Ixos leads are superb quality but a 3 metre lead is about £69.00 and thus a 10 – 15 meter lead from these guys will cost a small fortune. In the end I bought an ‘evolution s-video lead’ from the guys at

www.intoav.com

Its great quality and it was a good price as made to spec. They also supplied my component leads and screen.

Check them out, you can order by phone. Although the leads at Maplin sound reasonable enough price to get you started and give you a picture.

Incidentally, look at the ‘film’ mode on the HS2 as this offers the best picture in my opinion. Hope this helps, ask again if you need to – oh and welcome to the front projection club:).

Cap.

6. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    well,i received my pj today as expected and after a bit of messing around i got a half decent picture.
    was trying to get it dead right using the sideshot settings but had crap results with picture going way over the edge of the screen.so i got out a useful stand and at the moment i am using that to sit the pj in line with the centre of the screen.now just to get a perfectly smooth picture without it going over the black edges of the screen (it's only doing it a little bit now but can't seem to zoom it in/out without it either being too much or not enuff)
    any ideas?????
    must admit though,i'm well happy with the quality of the picture and if component leads are even better i can't wait to see what they look like.

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Paul, not quite sure what you are saying there.

It may be a case of simply moving the PJ back or forward a foot or two and zooming in or out to fill the picture.

Use a DVD with 1:85.1 transfer so that the image fills the screen without black bars.

Have you remembered to set side shot and keystone to zero?

As for component, remember that the HS2 does not have dedicated component 'in' inputs but you can obtain a component video signal using the multi lead I referred to in my post above.

Hope this helps.

cap:smashin:

8. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i'm off to buy a new coffee table today to sit the pj on hoping that it will produce stable results (the stand was only a temporary measure and not to wifeys liking).i'll then give that a go with a 1:85.1 film and try your suggestion.i did have keystone and sideshot set to zero capt.hopefully all will be solved.the picture only goes over the edge by about 2-3cms and i tried zooming in and out.it's only in the top right corner and bottom left corner.guess it could be the stand wasn't level.or maybe my father-in-law didn't fit the screen level although it does look very level to me (running along the top of my window).anyway,i really do appreciate your help in this matter capt mate.without people like you we'd never get anywhere and would just think these pj's were rubbish.once again many thanks.
    on another note,do you know how i can blackout the light from behind the screen (when pulled down it's slap bang in front of my window) so viewing during the day could be better?
    sorry for asking so many questions
    paul1672
    :suicide:

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Sounds like the image is not quite at a right angles with the screen. I suspect that the new table may sort things. I seem to recall the HS2 having adjustable feet in the packaging - to help this kind of situation. I bet its your floorboards!

As for black out the only thing I can suggest is to buy some black out material and maybe get the mother in law or an able friend to back the curtains in the bay. Alternatively, perhaps you could fix black out to the rear of the screen - but be careful not to damage it. Black out is available from most good material shops. I think its about £3 - £4.00 a meter and it really does work.

As for my help, just giving back what I have learnt here. Far from an expert. I am sure you can help the next HS2 owner with the odd query whenever they may appear:)

Hope this helps.

Cap.

10. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    well,i got the coffee table and hey presto,a much better fill on the screen.no more overlapping in the corners.and the table makes a great place for my son to eat at too so wifeys well happy.
    also,my father-in-law gave me some deep blue polythene today to try and black-out the light and am gonna try that tomorrow.good day all round really.
    i'm now off for some serious movie viewing.
    i thought i had it good with my 42" rear projector but this tops that by far.
    anyway,thanks for all the help capt.
    paul1672
    :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: