1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best cable/signal set up

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ged, May 5, 2004.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I bought a PW6 last week including an extra scart board as the component board was not in stock and I wanted to fire it up on the day.

The component board has arrived as well as the RGB component converter, I am just about to configure it all but need some help as to whether Sky through Scart RGB is the same as if it is converted to component? I have potentialy over spent already and don't want to spend too much more on extra component cables.

My idea is to daisy chain Sky - HS2 - Scart board (RGB)
    Pioneer 757 dvd - component board.
    Or will converting the scart link be worth the outlay?
    I have a 3802 amp and appreciate the video switching feature but not if there will be no picture improvement.

I am not in a position to test the component performance as I don't have the cables and need to buy at least 1 and buying 3 only if it is worth using the converter.

Thanks

2. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scart on D6 is very poor quality compared to component. it has smth to do with their boards. it's softer and lots of early users, myself included used to get a diagonal line pattern on their scart feed reagardless of the source. I would only keep it if the auto-switching is an absolute must (i don't deny it's a very important aspect of comfortable viewing).

for 130 pounds that you've spent on scart board you can get an RGB-VGA converter and plug it straight into your VGA in. You can get a cheaper passive one (just the cable) or active one. Most people here use active JSTech converter. I've got the Q-sync by QED for 150 (paid by returning my scart board), which includes an excellent hardwired QED 1m RGB-scart and a 2m vga cable. The one from JSTech is 110 but comes w/o the cables. The picture improvement is really noticable.

Some people prefer RGB-component converter. I think the Q-sync turns out the best value as it needs no extra board and includes 3m of high quality run. Your future actions are of course subject to your supplier granting you the return of goods, but they should still be quie happy to take them back seeing as they made a bit of money on your plasma recently, and if they play hard you can always claim poor pre-sale advice and force them to get that back.

3. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    The RGB conversion to component is apparently a little softer than using the RGB2VGA, so my 6 which arrives tomorrow will be wired using the VGA slot. AV-sales agreed to swap the scart over for the component so I was lucky there.

Auto format switching is important to me, and I will get the unit that gives me this back.

4. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Another excellent upgrade, which doesn't cost the earth - is getting a better mains cable for your panny 6. Russ Andrews do a yello cable (which I have) for about 30 quid - and it really cuts down on interference.

5. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the replies, I have eventually sat down and watched some films, Crimson Tide scared me witless as the transfer was so poor even my wife was worried. Subsequent discs have been OK.
    I am happy with DVD-component and may look at RGB scart to PC (not sure of the right hub).
    Once again, thank you, any hints on setting up the plasma appreciated.