1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best cable from dish?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mandril, Sep 16, 2003.

1. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be moving my sky dish soon onto the new extension at home and I want to get the absolute best picture/sound possible.

Which cable should I use?

Many thanks

Ricky
    PS forgot to mention I've got sky+ with quad lnb.
    Also the dish is getting on five years old now should I invest in a new one?

2. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    use ct100 and why not change the dish to a 60cm one for the best signal in bad weather. also u got a signal meter to help u align the dish when you move it ?

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many SKY+ boxes were installed with CT63 "shotgun" cable which is only good for up to 20 metres because it has quite high losses.

Its advantage is that it's thin and goes through a 10mm hole. It requires special "F" connectors (although some Sky installers do a bodge by threading a sleeve of ordinary cable sheath over it so a standard "F" connector fits).

If you don't mind two separate cables, use CT100, as suggested, or H109 which is a direct equivalent.

The important point is that it should be double-shielded copper-on-copper. Although aluminium-on-copper was widely used for analogue, it's not quite as good and tends to corrode sooner outdoors.

Don't forget to buy clips and self-amalgamating tape.

As the man says, aligning a dish with a satmeter is much easier than without!

Fman

4. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, I have shotgun cable at the moment but I never thought it was any good really. The new cable run will be around 15 meters at a guess I'd say.

CT100 it is then. Where do I get it from, maplins? And about the dish size, how big is the standard sky dish?

Cheers Ricky

Oh and I dont have a sat meter, I have moved the dish probably 6 times now and I can get the bars in the service menue to 3/4 on both feeds.

5. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    maplin may have it or theres a few places on the web, maily satellite stores that'll have it.

the standard sky dish is 43cm, some say its better to have the zone 2 sky digi dish which is 60cm as that improves the signal in bad weather.

6. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do I get one from?

Do they crop up on ebay?

What do they cost?

Cheers