1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best cable for Kef eggs

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by c_fletcher, Aug 4, 2005.

1. c_fletcher

c_fletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I have just upgraded to Kef 2005.2 system and now need to replace the cable (Amp is currently a Sony STRDE475, shortly to go in favour of a Denon 2805) and dont really know how far to go in terms of cost/diminishing return on ability to notice any further quality difference. Am considering QED Silver Anniversary but not sure whether I will tell the difference between the QED micro for example.

I will need ~20 metres in total for all 5 sats, longest run is 10 metres.

Any advice gratefully accepted

2. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am. In a blind test, where you don't know which cable is installed, you will not be able to tell the difference between either of those or standard house mains flex.

Just get any multi-stranded cable of at least 2.5mm² CSA and half-decent construction and you'll be fine. If you want something that looks nice, by all means spend the money, but be clear that you're not doing it for increased sound quality.

3. c_fletcher

c_fletcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Troon think you are absolutely right, ended up with 25 metres of 79 strand cable from B&Q for £11 after reading many articles on the subject. Have to say that I think most of the hype around cables is total b*l*oc*s, heres a really nice debunking of all those myths which is what eventually led me to forget paying ££s per metre for cable

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Having said the above I did pay ~£30 for 2 10 meters lengths of Monitor Audio Litz speaker cable back in 1980 and it did sound better than bog standard speaker wires of the time, still have it and would hazard that its better than the stuff that costs hundreds of pounds. Suppose i better duck now and await the purists claim we are philistines