Best cable for Audio Quality

PannyAdams

Novice Member
I have a Panasonic DMP BD30 and a Yamaha RX V2700 (which doesn't encode HD Audio formats). In terms of sound quality what is the best way to route the Audio?

Should I let the BD30 decode the audio and route it via the 5.1 analogue outs to the Yamaha? I guessing this will be best?

The other ways are outputing an LPCM from the BD30, what is the best way quality wise of doing this? I assume Coax and video via picture HMDI rather than both via HDMI? But is the quality going to be noticable?

Anyone? Thanks

Barry

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I have a Panasonic DMP BD30 and a Yamaha RX V2700 (which doesn't encode HD Audio formats). In terms of sound quality what is the best way to route the Audio?

Should I let the BD30 decode the audio and route it via the 5.1 analogue outs to the Yamaha? I guessing this will be best?

The other ways are outputing an LPCM from the BD30, what is the best way quality wise of doing this? I assume Coax and video via picture HMDI rather than both via HDMI? But is the quality going to be noticable?

Anyone? Thanks

Barry
Hi PannyAdams. :)
It's only the PCM track that can be sent (if present) over the Multi's on the HD audio side i'm afraid.HDMI it's bitstream only for HD,so if your amp can accept audio over HDMI then go with that for audio/video if not go HDMI video and coaxial/optical for audio.

All the best.

chrissyman

Novice Member
i just looked at the specs for the bd30 and there is no on board decoding of any HD audio so he will need to change his amp, i cannot understand why Panasonic have omitted this feature even the PS3 has on board decoding.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
i just looked at the specs for the bd30 and there is no on board decoding of any HD audio so he will need to change his amp, i cannot understand why Panasonic have omitted this feature even the PS3 has on board decoding.
Hi chrissyman. :)
Panasonic left it out so they could release the BD50. ;)
All the best.

PannyAdams

Novice Member
Arrghh! It either should be this confusing (or I'm just thick!)

Some facts....My Amp plays 5.1 over HDMI (its HDMI 1.2).

I bought the BD30 as a "wife friendly" Blu Ray player for the living room (because it can play R1 DVDs too).

I'm just going HD in my home cinema - and I'm moving my PS3 into there (you can't hear it over my PJ :smashin:).

I have a Yamaha v2700 and need to buy another AVR - Was looking at Onkyo 705 or 875. I could use either amp in either place.

My questions:

What's the difference between LPCM and Bitstream?

Will I notice a great deal of difference between HD Audio and what I'm currently getting out of the BD30 and v2700?

If the Onkyo's decode HD if I wire that up down stairs with the BD30 by HDMI will that give me HD Audio?

If the PS3 decodes HD if I run this through the V2700 by HDMI will that give me HD Audio?

Will my head stop hurting?

:lease:

kingfats

Distinguished Member
My questions:

What's the difference between LPCM and Bitstream?

Will I notice a great deal of difference between HD Audio and what I'm currently getting out of the BD30 and v2700?

If the Onkyo's decode HD if I wire that up down stairs with the BD30 by HDMI will that give me HD Audio?

If the PS3 decodes HD if I run this through the V2700 by HDMI will that give me HD Audio?

:
Hi PannyAdams. :)
My amp is HDMI 1.1 :smashin: so the PS3 suits me just fine as it decodes HD audio and sends it LPCM via HDMI.
With the BD30 it can only send the HD audio bitstream (like your DVD player does with DD/DTS) so you have to have a compatible amp to decode the new HD audio soundtracks. :)
It's the same sound ;) either way you do it. :D
If you bought a PS3,this will give you access to all HD soundtracks with your set-up.
Yes you would notice a big difference,as at the moment your only getting DD/DTS.
All the best.

PannyAdams

Novice Member
OK. I'll put the PS3 and BD30 through the V2700 tonight to see if I can tell.

Thanks for your help!

Barry

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom