Best Buy Ultra HD 4K OLED TVs

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Steve Withers, Dec 12, 2015.

Tags:

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,088
      • Like Like x 3
      • Thanks Thanks x 2
      • List
    2. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,607
      Typo in the last para Steve, "revenant" ;)

Useful roundup of what's currently on offer.
      I'm still holding off until the problems are sorted, I'm not prepared to pay 3 grand for a tv with any issues no matter how small.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,368
      I fixed that when proofing but for some reason it changed back. Now fixed, thanks.

4. kbfern

kbfern
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,033
      Lets hope 2016 models can eliminate the issues current sets seem to have and prices also come down further to £1.5/2k for 55 HDR sets and £2.5/3k for 65 sets otherwise I shall have to get a Hisense 65 for £1-1.5k to do me for the short term till OLED reaches more affordable prices.

5. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +649
      The EG920V can already be had for a shade over 2k (£2199)

6. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,464
      Have to agree. 4 grand is an enormous amount of money for a TV and for that money it should have no issues. Especially as Panasonic have shown that it is possible, in terms of image quality at least. Lg should be applauded for persevering with OLED and I hope it pays off for them but right now the issues OLEDs have shouldn't be glossed over. Not for this sort of money.

7. Har-One

Har-One
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,830
      Very nice Steve. You and Mark have made a great summary of what we have for 4K TVs.

I hope that discussion does not get too heated.

8. RomanHD

RomanHD

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +26
      Thanks again for review.

Probably we all know the history of Pany Oled ... made by LG Display Co. ...
      It would be nice if Panasonic would go further with OLED tech.

The last known info. to me from Samy they would not step in Oled run till 2017.

On the other hand if you are going to go with new tech. you should develop an idea and tech. much befor launching the first models ...

Sorry for my bad English ... "I am back from the future" :laugh:

9. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +480
      The conclusion could be seen as LG simply need to look at what Panny have done with the LG source panel and include these changes into their 2016 panel at a reasonable price. Simple!

10. RomanHD

RomanHD

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +26
      In deed. I have a feeling that Pany is this time in a small shadow regarding their top models and other top manufacturers? ... Or?

11. vaktmestern

vaktmestern
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,540
      Great tvs dont Get why people still buy LCD tvs than Perhaps gaming with lower lag.

12. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +649
      Price?

13. gigglebug

gigglebug

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +120
      Could be easier said than done if Panasonic are having to implement a higher quality and therefore more expensive list of components to get the best out of the panel's. I don't see that Panasonic would deliberately set the price of their product so high if it was a simple case of software making all the difference. Maybe it's a case of LG already knowing how to get the best out of the panels but not wanting to commit to the extra cost to the consumer that getting it right would induce. I can see LG not wanting Panasonic to produce a direct competitor to their own OLED's just yet as the market is relatively small so I understand why the Panasonic has come in at a different price point but I can't see Panasonic deliberately making theirs twice the price of the competition in such a tight market place unless the initial component price required it to be so.

14. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +946
      I think you may have hit the nail on the head.:)

I think many millions of people are simply waiting for the price to drop and true 4K content to become widely available. Hopefully we shall have both of these in 2016 ...

15. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,625
      I bought the Samsung 9000 for £1850 and it had issues so for the extra £400 the LG OLED 950 is far far superior.

16. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +649
      I agree that id rather buy an OLED rather than a flagship LCD (like the JS9000/9500); however most LCD's are around 20-50% the price of an OLED. It's a lot of money for technology that's still in its infancy.

I recently got an EG920V (replaced my HU7100) and yes I haven't looked back but it was over £2000 which is a lot of money for a Tv that has flaws.

Even on this site, there's only a select few people that are willing to spend this kind of money on a TV.

17. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,625
      I looked at some 65" 4K for round £1000 but asways wanted an OLED since they were first announced and it doesn't disappoint. It is expensive but worth it.

18. gargoyle67

gargoyle67

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +196
      I'm still waiting for the prices to drop, Long gone are the days I'd pay 2k for a tv, Plus I haven't watched live tv in over 17 years, So they need to sort out screen burn\image retention for computer usage, Which given the latest news about LG going into the OLED monitor business things are looking up....

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    19. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,492
      You never know what kind of deal Panny have with LG. They could have stipulated they cannot in anyway undercut them on this particular deal.

Panasonic may have gone to LG and said, hey give us some panels at a good price to experiment on and we'll showcase what we can do if we promise to charge a price that no-one contemplating an OLED would consider instead of an LG

20. gigglebug

gigglebug

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +120
      I don't doubt it but I'm just not sure that Panasonic would have had to go all the way to £8000 for it to be a big enough margin, surely even £1000-1500 above the equivalent LG's would have been a big enough difference to omit them from being direct competition. That's a whole heap of money to most folks on top of what are already decent enough prices in the first place and would be a big decision to make but another £4000 above suggests that the technology and quality of components implemented by Panasonic must be on a completely different level to the LG's so I would be surprised if LG themselves could replicate what Panasonic have achieved at a significantly lower price point, well maybe not for a couple of generations at least. Happy to be proved wrong though!

21. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,492
      Yeah I can see your point.

Bare in mind though that in the days of the Kuro, it would appear the Pioneer wasn't charging nearly enough for their plasma efforts and the fact that after the Kuro died and Pansonic released a professional panel ( I forget the model number ) they were charging something like £4K for it and it was on paper at least, barely level with the Kuro. I remember the guys talking about it on the podcast. So the Kuro it seemed could have been massively subsidised?

So don't think it could be that Panasonic have learnt a bit and are charging a premium (and a half) to make sure they don't sell 1000's a reduced cost and end up loosing money.

But given the faults that they have overcome yes your right it does seem that all they have swapped out everything bar the very basic panel.

22. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +242
      Purchased my 65 oled 960 for 2999 on black friday. Image is truly amazing.

23. vinnie97

vinnie97

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,220
      Any issues? I think you might be in for a long, arduous wait. They've had one issue or another since they were unveiled in 2013, with the advent of 4K just throwing a roadblock on the road to unattainable perfection. Feed the current sets pristine 4K content, and they are 99% of the way there. But truly, no display technology created by man has been 100% problem-free. I certainly get why people want a lower price, it's easier to put up with the minor issues when you haven't had to spend as much coin. I just think people need to temper their expectations.

24. gigglebug

gigglebug

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +120
      Yes I've read the rumors of the Kuro's being subsidized myself, not seen any concrete evidence personally but it's not unheard of for manufacturers (I'm thinking of car's specifically but I'm sure it translates to all categories of consumer products) to take a hit on certain products to showcase what is achievable especially if it has a halo effect for the rest of the range. I've got a 600A myself with which the background blacks (after a large amount of tweaking) are as dark as having the set turned off, there really is no difference. It only cost me £235 all in as well so I'm not looking forward to ever having to replace it, gonna be a massive jump in outlay to better it!!

25. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,464
      So apparently the 960 was a thousand pounds cheaper on black Friday.....
      I would have had some of that :(

26. blacksheep99

blacksheep99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +398
      AVForums have to be commended for their recent articles seeking to inform the general public about the advantages of OLED. We all need OLED to be a success otherwise we could be stuck with LCD as the only choice for the foreseeable future. The investment LG have made shows how difficult it is to bring a new tech to market.

27. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
      AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,575
      What TVs don't have flaws? They all do of some kind (depending on what you consider a flaw).

28. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +649
      100% agree with you; though it's a lot harder to spend 2.5k+ on a TV knowing full well it's Flawed. Like you said it depends on what an individual may perceive as a flaw.

My original point was that only a select Few will be willing to spend this kind of money on a TV whilst most will wait for either wait until the niggles are rectified, or for prices to fall. Most will want both of these to happen before pulling the trigger.

In other reviews regarding TV's, decent units can be had for under 1k. We are not talking a few hundred quid in price difference. It's big money.

29. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +480
      I sure when LG remove or more likely move the bar so that the flaws are so minor not one moans, we well all move the bar and complain about something else!

30. gibbsy

gibbsy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,930
      Have to agree with Stuart, my Panny VT65 has line bleed, yet it is still the best TV I've ever owned. My son has an LG 4K LED, not sure of the model but it cannot hold a candle to a quality plasma. The only OLED I've seen are at the local Currys. Blasting out crap feeds they look disappointing, but again what panel doesn't look awful at those stores.

At the moment I can see no justification whatsoever to parting with more money and changing a 30 month old VT for OLED at their particular price point and uncertain quality issues. Plus I don't see a massive roll out of 4K content. Then there is the problem of getting the very best quality feeds. I'd be struggling at the moment for broadband speed. At least now I can feed a blu-ray to the Panny for watching an excellent image. Then there would be the added cost of upgrading to the yet unavailable 4K players and possibly a new AVR. So for me a high end OLED is going to cost me a lot more than just the set and I really need to upgrade my speakers as well.

OLED and 4K must be at least another three years away for me simply on cost.