Quantcast

Best Buy Turntables of 2016

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
Are the Pioneer and Numark the same turntable? Looks like identical tonearm and button layout to me...

nomster

Standard Member
Are the Pioneer and Numark the same turntable? Looks like identical tonearm and button layout to me...
Yeah and also near identical to the Audio Technica LP120
Audio Technica LP120USB review
(Old review but it's still available)

All of which are of course aping a famous design classic

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
I've had the planar 3 for about 2 weeks now, and it is very easy to set up and a joy to listen too when you get good vinyl on it, i also bought the Rega Phono stage and even upgraded my cartridge to the ortophon 2M red stylus very happy... @edselley i've pm'd you but i dont think you have read it, just thanking you as my purchases were based on your recommendations and after getting a demo of the equipment.

Mercurial

Not a Project in sight?
Whilst I appreciate that these "Best Buy" articles can help people with choices, I do think it only fair that it should be pointed out that these are only a very few of what's actually out there, and that your recommendations are purely based upon items that have actually been reviewed.
There are many omissions from highly reputable manufacturers that are not included, or given a mention, which to me would warrant inclusion, or at least a mention.
Project is a very notable exclusion here. They are Rega's number one competitor in the UK and make an excellent range of turntables. The fact that Sony, Technics, Pioneer et al, have jumped on the bandwagon of producing turntables, because they have become desirable and saleable again, does nothing to inspire me towards their products. Especially when so many dedicated manufacturers have stayed with the medium throughout the dry years.
And now Tescos and Sainsburys have decided to start selling records again? Tells you a lot really doesn't it.

Last edited:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
i know you mention it in your post mercurial, but how can avforums make a recommendation on turntables they haven't reviewed. i think the issue is the need for more turntable reviews from a wider cross-section of manufacturers, so the comparisons can be more balanced. i'm falling in love with the whole process again, from the buying the record to admiring the artwork on the cover, sleeve notes, and any inner details, to putting the record on the turntable and anticipating the sound and music. this is something that cant be achieved with downloads in cyber space, i think there was a programme on bbc 4 recently making the same points...im loving vinyl for the second time in my life after a 30 year break...its an expensive business though i found out, ive already spent over £1000 on everything, and that is seen as fairly modest!

robel

Funnily, I have recently decided to buy a record deck and start listening to my large and varied vinyl collection. I have made my mind up and will buy the Rega Planar 2....

Mercurial

i know you mention it in your post mercurial, but how can avforums make a recommendation on turntables they haven't reviewed. i think the issue is the need for more turntable reviews from a wider cross-section of manufacturers, so the comparisons can be more balanced......
This was why I thought it would be helpful if it was pointed out that the best buys are only ones that have been reviewed here, and not to be taken literally for the whole market.

Top Bottom