Best Buy Subwoofers - article discussion

Are you sure the price quoted for the Sunfire XTEQ 12 is correct?
If it is, where can I get it?

(Price has now been corrected! I thought it was too good to be true.)

Last edited:
Are you sure the price quoted for the Sunfire XTEQ 12 is correct?
If it is, where can I get it?

Yeah, i might have one at that price!

I tested dual units of the smaller 10" Sunfire XTEQ shortly after reading your review, and while I agree with a few of your performance findings I had a hard time dealing with an irrational auto-off feature which didn't quite work as advertised and the constant humming issues drove me crazy. No other subwoofer in my system (same power outlets, cables, electronics) have had similar issues. The EQ-function didn't work for me at all, providing very inconsistent results. This subwoofer ended up as a rather bizarre experience in my home theater. Dual units of the Monitor Audio AW-12 subwoofer worked a whole lot better for me.

KK Design DXD 12012 all the way :) the Sunfire XTEQ 12 is too overpriced in my opinion.

I suppose everybody will want to know why their own favourite sub isn't on this list but....in terms of vfm the xtz 3x12 gives you three 12 inch drivers for less money than the Sunfire.:thumbsup:

yeah i wondered why the XTZ sub wasnt on the list..im changing all my speakers to XTZ cinema series i hope in the next year

This review reads like a What Hi-fi review, i.e. paid for by their best advertisers.

This review reads like a What Hi-fi review, i.e. paid for by their best advertisers.

Really? Well first of all it isn't a review, it is a 'best of' article. It rounds up the best products we have seen and reviewed this year. Secondly, I have no idea if any of them advertise, but even if they did, it would have no influence on the article or it's contents. And finally, please tell us why you think it is paid for? Because we haven't mentioned your favourite? You are making serious accusations of bias, so please provide your evidence that is the case. Or are you just trolling?

We can only feature what we have seen, reviewed and recommend. There are other choices available.

yeah i wondered why the XTZ sub wasnt on the list..im changing all my speakers to XTZ cinema series i hope in the next year
The XTZ is a great sub and really suits the full cinema series package. It gets my recommendation as a full system.

Before making a remark like that you might care to check how many of those are advertisers here.

As Phil has mentioned, the XTZ Cinema Series 5.1 speaker package review scores a Highly Recommended and includes the 1 x 12 subwoofer - XTZ Cinema Series Review

There's also the MK V12 which was was reviewed as part of the MK S150mkII 5.2 speaker package review and also scored a Highly Recommended - MK S150mkII 5.2 Speaker System Review

My favourite is BK, which I am sure is purely coincidentally advertised on my phone as I type.

I have quite a few of the Sunfire Subs which are similar to the sunfire in the review, i have the 10" and the 12" versions all i can say is the Sunfire subs are "excellent" if you can get hold of one cheap do so. The EQ Signature 12" version has had it problems along with the True subwoofer but produce a Wicked amount of bass that is not distorted.

With the Bk in there performing like a 600-800 sub and "Nothing at this price or within £200 of it can hold a candle to the all round competence of the BK ", why would one go for any of the more expensive subs in the best buy article (bar the £1800 one)? Genuine question

why would one go for any of the more expensive subs in the best buy article (bar the £1800 one)? Genuine question
Because they all offer something that's a little bit different from each other. Ultimately it is up to you which one suits what you want.

Don't get me wrong £1800 pounds is a lot to spend, but it's only now that some of the manufactures are incorporating some of the new technology into the current subwoofer i.e. room correction. Sunfire did this with the TS-10EQ/ TS-12EQ version in 2009 and around that time most high end subwoofer or speaker manufactures did so.

Sorry if i sound a bit of a nut but with regards to AV i have had a number of subs or been in the environment to have a good play with them.

I would still love a proper sound off comparison between the P12-300SB and XLS400 given there's barely a £40 price difference. I recall reading someone BK supposedly saying the P12 sits firmly between the XLS200 and XLS400 but the price doesn't reflect this so I really cant work out which should be getting my focus.

Really? Well first of all it isn't a review, it is a 'best of' article. It rounds up the best products we have seen and reviewed this year. Secondly, I have no idea if any of them advertise, but even if they did, it would have no influence on the article or it's contents. And finally, please tell us why you think it is paid for? Because we haven't mentioned your favourite? You are making serious accusations of bias, so please provide your evidence that is the case. Or are you just trolling?

We can only feature what we have seen, reviewed and recommend. There are other choices available.
I can't recall A DXD 12012 ever being reviewed on here ;)

I can't recall A DXD 12012 ever being reviewed on here ;)
That is correct, it was reviewed by Russell back in 2012 on this site. But they are no longer available for sale from the distributor (Lsound.eu) and that's why there isn't one mentioned in the 2015 best buy article. We tried hard to get KK speakers in for review this past year but they were all discontinued, so no point reviewing something people can't buy, new.

Are you looking for the best shallow mount subwoofers? Do you want to add some spice to your road rides? If yes! This article is a complete guide for your understanding that will turn your purchase into a very happy and delightful shopping decision.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom