Best Buy Headphones of 2016 & Comments

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Ed Selley, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,748
    2. Duncan1977

Duncan1977

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +45
      As a moderator over at Head-Fi, this is most definitely my arena :)

Currently using LG G5 with B&O DAC (also have Chord Mojo and Hugo, but like the tiny form factor of my phone) and JH Audio Layla IEMs for out on the road, and Pioneer SE-Master 1 headphones, balanced cable and U-05 amp for anything else...

Will happily chip in as this develops.

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      Is there any retailer in the south west that has a wide range of such headphones for audition. I don't think I've heard any of these but remember trying some high end headphones a few years ago and they were inferior in sound quality to my Grado SR-60's.

Looks like the review criteria is reviewed this year so its possible there are better models that haven't changed and were reviewed in earlier years. You scored my Grado's 10/10 for sound quality but only 8/10 for the Bose headphones in this article and actually state inferior sound to normal headphones yet they cost up to £300. I suspect igrado's would sound a lot better than the Bose headphones for a fraction of the price.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    4. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +216
      The issue that you have is that the amount of products actually reviewed here is going to be the ones they have received to review which wont include a lot of other products. So its essentially the best of what they have received not what is available on the market.

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      Totally understand it just felt on initial reading it was a recommendation of these products.

6. freesat99

freesat99
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10
      I happened to be in Maplins. The store in Cambridge has had a makeover. There was a wall of headphones near the entrance, which interested me as I want to try a cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones. I guess I was surprised just how expensive headphones can be, as Maplins had B&O for several hundred pounds. If you can afford to throw 2 or 3 hundred quid (or more) on headphones then you must be seriously well off. I just wonder how big the market is at that price point? In the end I bought the cheapest pair (not BT) at £10. For that price they seem quite well made. So just what are you paying for when you pay hundreds of quid? Perhaps I'm just being cynical thinking that at the higher price point it is big profit. Some time ago someone had posted that the only difference between two high end models of headphones (from a certain well known maker) was the foam inside the speakers, as the speaker parts had identical part numbers in the repair catalogue.

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +220
      I think my Grado SR-60's are worth the money. Unsure what they retail at now maybe £80-90 and I haven't actually come across any headphones I prefer over them. So for me that probably is the point where paying more has diminishing returns. I suspect even for Grado they are enjoying a huge profit margin. I got the offer for £9 a few years ago of a free pair of igrado's for subscribing to what hifi. I cancelled so only paid for 3 months and believe the drive units are the same between igrado's and SR-60s. The SR-60s certainly sound better to me though but not a world apart.

I'm not a Bose fan though. Used to sell them many years ago and was not impressed. The service engineer showed me the build quality inside and it was poor. There has been enough time that Bose may have completely changed but those memories of a premium product that was made very badly has put me permanently off the brand. We weren't impressed with the sound quality either. Nowadays I try to remove what's trendy and fashionable from consideration and just concentrate on actual quality.

8. Duncan1977

Duncan1977

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +45
      i will say that I have spent criminally high prices for headphones and earphones - and to know the prices keep going ever upward - its getting all a bit crazy now :(

9. deantown

deantown

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,990
      There always seems to be a lot of Bose "knockers" on these forums. At nigh on £300 the QC's are not cheap but they still seem to sell by the bucket load. I have them and they are very good. As reviewers say " go on a long-haul flight" and you will see the majority of headphone wearers have Bose.

10. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +489
      There are a lot of people who love Beats too ;-)

I fly regularly and much prefer my IEMs. Very comfortable (you can sleep and rest your ear on a pillow), sound isolation is fantastic and the SQ is excellent.

HB

11. Thug

Thug
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,274
      I see that the main photo is of the Beyerdynamic T70 cans.
      I have the T90 which are open back and can testify that they sound amazing where every little detail can be picked up and pin pointed to where it is in the room at the time of recording.
      You can even hear pages turning when listening to classical music.