Best buy HD AV amps up to £300?

S

stonemonkey

I'm looking to upgrade my old pioneer amp to one that has support for HDMI inputs.

My tv has an internal HD freeview tuner (Samsung LE40C654) so an amp with return audio would be beneficial though I do have optical cables.

Audiolag is an issue currently so an amp with the ability to adjust audio delay is a must.

Connected to it will be a Sony BRS370 player, Xbox 360s, and potentially some sort of media system like Apple TV or WDTV Live. All connected via HDMI into the amp with a HDMI out to the TV.

I also have an Audiolab 8000a amp which I would prefer to use for stereo and connecting my turntable and highly modified Marantz CD player to. Possibly bi-amp capabilities? I have front speaker pre-outs on the pioneer av amp but there was always too much interference in the sound and couldn't find a fix. Is the Audiolab too old for connecting to a modern day amplifier? Would I be better off with getting an AV amp with a 'decent' stereo performance and getting a phono pre-amp for connecting the turntable?

I have Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 floorstanders, a KEF centre speaker and Mission rears, plus a crappy sub that is going to be replaced.

Maximum budget spend: £300

Currently looking at:

Sony STR-DH810
Sony STR-DA2400ESB

Can anyone suggest/recommend any of the above or another amp.

I have no interest in 3D TV so it doesn't require that feature.

Thanks.

I would look at the Yamaha 667, which is currently on promotion for existing stocks, discounted from £450 to £350, but people on the 667 owners thread have got it for around £300.

It has preouts and a phono input.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx-v667__g/?mode=model

You can try the amp for music and also tey the pre-outs to your stereo amp. You could also get a speaker switch to switch the front L&R between stereo and AV amp.

Last edited:
The Sony 2400 is the better reciever from the 2 you mention. You could also look at the Onkyo 607 which is being sold off very cheaply at the moment in some Richer Sounds stores. Onkyo and Sony recievers will have the same bright type of sound you could be used to with your current Pioneer.

Cheers dicklodge - looks nice, and whilst a bit over budget, I could sell the Audiolab if I was happy with the stereo performance and great that it has a phono input too.

PSM1 - would a speaker switch not degrade the sound quality? Floorstanders are currently bi-wired with decent cable and would look to get properly terminated cables soon.

Cheers dicklodge - looks nice, and whilst a bit over budget, I could sell the Audiolab if I was happy with the stereo performance and great that it has a phono input too.

PSM1 - would a speaker switch not degrade the sound quality? Floorstanders are currently bi-wired with decent cable and would look to get properly terminated cables soon.

It was me who suggested the speaker switch.

This one is used by a current forum member with a Yamaha Z7 and he's pleased with it and no problems.

Beresford Media & Electronincs Ltd

Ooops, Sorry Dicklodge.

Excellent suggestion and thanks for the link to Dazzors thread - looks like an ideal way to retain the stereo quality of my system.

That Yamaha looks real nice - I have read some of your comments on other threads regards the amp.....is it on offer at the £349 price at present?

I'm not too keen on the bright sound of the pioneer so with this having a warmer sound, it would be an improvement in sound too.

Ooops, Sorry Dicklodge.

Excellent suggestion and thanks for the link to Dazzors thread - looks like an ideal way to retain the stereo quality of my system.

That Yamaha looks real nice - I have read some of your comments on other threads regards the amp.....is it on offer at the £349 price at present?

I'm not too keen on the bright sound of the pioneer so with this having a warmer sound, it would be an improvement in sound too.

This was posted yesterday on the 667 owners thread. I believe the deal is for current stocks and Yamaha only have the dual black/titanium model. According to this post HIFIX have the dual colour model only and it's just under £300 (with forum member discount) and weymouth HIFI have the black for a little over £300.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/13524101-post388.html

Cheers, they've just offered me the same deal at £314 but the deal ends today as the cable promotion is ending.

Got to make a quick decision!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom