1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Buy for an Ex Pace Twin Owner

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Bilboo, Jan 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bilboo

Bilboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Just returned my Pace Twin after nearly a year, finally got fed up with picture locking after using the EPG and failed recordings.

The result of this is I'm in the market for a new PVR and any recomendations would be appriciated.

Twin tuners are essential and would like a digital-out but it's not essential.

I've had a look at the current popular models and they all seem to have their pros and cons, thinking about waiting for the new Panny but I'm aware it's already been heavily delayed.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks in advice

Bilboo

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Noticed Argos have the new digifusion FVR150 for 179.99 with twin tuners AND a 80gb hard drive. Like you, I'm seriously tempted to offload my Pace. Haven't read a review of it as yet - probably too early to know whether it has reliability issues.

3. Bilboo

Bilboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Snick,

I was tempted with the FVR150, but I've heard it's quite loud even when switched off - that would seriously annoy me

4. Dave R

Dave R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just out of interest, did you get your money back on the Pace? I wouldn't have thought the retailer was obligated to offer a refund after nearly a year, but then maybe you can if the unit can't be repaired as it effectively the case with the Pace's bugs.
    I only ask as I'm in the same boat myself. My Argos guarantee has a few days left to run, and then I've got a Barclaycard extended warranty. If I can get the money back, I'll probably hang on for the Panasonic.

5. Bilboo

Bilboo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Dave,

I got my money back from Argos with about 2 weeks until the warrenty (1 year) was up which surprised me as well, I expected an offer to repair it.

I gave the Customer Services a run-down of the issues and they never offered to repair, they did try to sell me the FVR150 which I offered to take but would return if the fan noise was too loud. The guy checked with the manager as there's no 16 day money back guarantee on this, but he wouldn't let me take it on that basis, so it was a full refund.

Not too sure of the consumer laws around this area, but I'd imagine if they can't repair or replace they're pretty much forced to offer a refund. I suspect with the problems around the Pace is probably easier to offer the refund than the costs associated with repairing it.

Cheers

6. Teessider

Teessider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good evening,

I'm also after a PVR / DVR, but I would want to archive the disk to a PC. Which units either have have removable disks or can be connected to a PC?

The Humax 8000T apparently uses some obscure encoding which is not compatable with PC formats.