1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Buy Digital camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by conington, Feb 3, 2003.

1. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've finally decided to hang up my old SLR and go digital, any advice on what would best fit my needs would be appreciated:

Needs to be reasonably small (fit comfortable into a jacket pocket or handbag)

Needs to be capable of 3 MPix

Needs to have the facility to add a memory card (probably up to 128mb)

Needs to come with rechargeable batter, software and connectors (not that worried about a docking station)

Will be used as a basic family holiday camera and as such I would like to keep the cost of the camera and memory card to a total no higher than £350

Your recommendations would be appreciated.

2. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The Kodak LS443 is a cracking camera, getting great reviews and can be had for as little as £300.
    Its 4mp with a decent zoom and is small enough to take out and about. It's also pretty idiot proof and takes the latest type of memory card (Secure Digital), as well as 16mb internal.

http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk/kodak-ls443-deals.htm

I've got an "old" canon A20 and had a good play with my old mans new LS443. They bought it for exaclty the same reasons you mentioned.

Oh, and he found a 128mb SD card on the net for £47 including delivery.

All the kit arrived next day delivery and cost less than £350.

Hope this helps, i appreciate that there are numerous superb cameras out there and the best thing to do is go to a shop like jessops etc; try it, then buy it online ;)

Regards

Sam

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you had an SLR then you may be interested in keeping slr functions like Manual/Shutter priority/Aperture priority/manual zoom etc.

This narrows down the options somewhat. For £320 (look on www.pricerunner.co.uk) you could get the Canon S30 (3Mp) and has the creative flexibility you would expect from an SLR. 128M compact flash can be got for £30. If you are cheeky you should be able to get jessops to price match and do a deal on compact flash.

I have the S45 and my poor old EOS50e SLR is now gathering dust looking like a museum piece. Since using the S45 I have had a 100% hit rate with creative shots as the effects of exposure manipulation, exposure metering settings, shutter/aperture settings are all seen immediately on the LCD screen. No trial and error exposure bracketing (which you can do on the S30). The S30 is the 3Mp of the S45 with an older menu interface but im pretty sure the functions are the same.

Im sure Nikon/Olympus/Pentax/Minolta all have an equivelent but cant remember what they are. Just found the Canon easier to use as thats what my SLR was and the controls are the similarly laid out

4. mjr600

mjr600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a year and 2000 photos with a Fuji ix100 1.3mp (no lcd screen) I decided only a few days ago it was time to upgrade.

Seems I set almost identical requirements to you so I'll tell you where I ended up and what should be dropping through the mail any day now.

3.1mp
    3 times optical zoom
    3.3 times digital zoom
    16mb built in memory
    MMC/SD card slots
    3volt DC in jack
    1.8"lcd

Kodak DX4330 £199 inc p&p at Amazon

Frankly I believe its an excellent price and is reviewed as one of the top 3+mp cameras of 2002 at www.steves-digicams.com which is a site I have a great deal of respect for.

Fuji 204 and Nikon 2000, both 2mp, had been my choices up until then in the sub £200 bracket.

I've just bought some 2000mah nimh re-chargeable batteries to run it and ordered a couple of 64meg mmc cards at £18 each from www.7dayshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=multimedia+card

All in all the whole lot for less than £250.

Photography is not my hobby so I dont need too many settings just great family snaps, this Kodak sounds like it should do the trick.

Hope this helps, let me know if the information was any use to you.

I used this link to find the best deal by the way.

www.shop4digitalcameras.co.uk/cap.php

Mick

5. evildonut

evildonut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was recently in the market for a digital camera myself, my criteria were: 3MP, 3x optical zoom, ease of use.

In the end it boiled down to those 3:
    1. Minolta DiMAGE Xi
    2. Canon S30
    3. Kodak DX4330

In the end I decided for the Xi, due to its compactness (you can take it anywhere without thinking about what you need) and a good quality picture. After shopping around I paid £340 for the camera + 128Mb MMC.
    Its weakness is possibly the battery life, so I'm ordering a second one to be on the safe side of things.

If you want more control over your pictures, then I second the recommendation for the Canon S30.

The Kodak is fine, and the docking station idea is really good, but it just didn't "feel" right when I held it in my hands.

Remember that few brands throw in a bag in the package, so you'll have to cater for that as well.

HTH!

6. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thnaks for all the feedback, I have now searched many reciews and found, after using a procechecker a reasonable deal on the Casio QVR 4 at £328 from Internet Cameras Direct (couldn't see it in stock for less than this although there were a couple of other sites without stock at just over £300).

OK here's my issue, finding an SD card is causing me problems - one site has 256MB cards at £90 (although none in stock) yet Jesspos are quoting £171 !! Any suggestions on a decent shop or site for cards + the sort of price I should expect to pay, I am looking for a minimum of 128MB?

Should get the camera tomorrow, can't wait !!!

Thanks for all the help

7. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While i wouldn't normally recommend it for most things, Ebay is probably a good place to get Camera memory, i have seen some good deals using Buy It Now. Be careful of inflated postage costs though.

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
  9. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Crucial for the Camera Memory. I use them for the memory for our servers/pc's at work and spotted they do camera memory now.

The memory we get for the coomputers is top-notch and Crucial are part of Micron, one of the worlds largest memory manufacturers, so you shouldn't have to worry about quality.

10. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I agree with everything that you say but for some strange reason, they don't do SD cards :(