Best Buy closing down sale

stevo_gti

Novice Member
Just received an email from Best Buy stating their closing down sale starts Monday with 20% off everything instore and online

It's a shame for the workers who are loosing their jobs there but could be a few bargains for us AVF user

dashfield

I thought the email said that it started online now and then in stores on Monday.

But I just tried to buy an iMac online and took it through to the last stage, but no discount was added.

So I guess it starts online on Monday too.

stevo_gti

Novice Member
Just checked the email again and it does say online now :-s

From experience though the best buys website isn't the best lol

stevo_gti

Novice Member
Just had another email apologising for the mix up and the sale starts in store and online Monday. Reductions range from 10-30%

SNICK

I've heard that a lot of the premium stuff (Apple / Monster) etc will be excluded - as the suppliers want this back - rather than BB price trash it.

dashfield

That's annoying, i was going to pop in on the way to work tomorrow morning in the hope of getting a reduced ipod touch.

Looks like they won't have them though.

Still might try and see what they've got.

D

Deleted member 92943

I think what's on their site, is what will be going on sale. There's still a fe nice gems on there.

I wonder if the sale will start at midnight?

stevo_gti

Novice Member
By the time I get there Saturday there will only be the carpet left lol.

Just hope if I order anything online it works this time instead of taking my money and saying failed

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
just tried to make a purchase and the discount is not being applied, i went right through to confirm payment!!!

hardly any games or blus left..checked for a vt30 nothing!

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Code works Ok for me on Sony KDL-52HX903 52" LED 3D TV £1999.99.
Using the BBY code it's £1799.99

Seems a good deal for last year's Sony flagship model. Cheapest elsewhere in a quick google is Comet at £2499.

BBY code also gave a 50% discount on Blu-rays in the few minutes before the last of them sold.

Last edited:

the.godfather

Novice Member
Will be checking it out tonight but I doubt there will be much left after all of today! To be honest when I went in there last week the place was like a ghost town then. Sad really as I used to like it in there.

MrJolly

Standard Member
I bought a PS3 controller last week from BB for £30.99. Today it's £34.99 (but you can get 10% off which makes it £31.49!). Maybe it's an isolated incident but thought it worth mentioning.

stevo_gti

Novice Member
Are the Logitech harmony one remotes any good? Will be controlling my TV,blu ray,sky HD and amp with it?

Was thinking of getting it hopefully make things easier for the other half instead of different remotes, she's not thick or anything just useless lol

stevo_gti

Novice Member
MrJolly said:
I bought a PS3 controller last week from BB for £30.99. Today it's £34.99 (but you can get 10% off which makes it £31.49!). Maybe it's an isolated incident but thought it worth mentioning.

Funny you should say that I'm sure when I looked a few week back the Logitech harmony one remote was £89 it's now £99 :-s but it's £75 with the code so no big issue

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
in terms of blu's and games ..it pretty dire ...

sattapaal

is this promotion available in store?

might send my missus there.....she wants the pixar collection...

dashfield

is this promotion available in store?

might send my missus there.....she wants the pixar collection...

Yes, but the half price DVDs etc has been going for a few weeks, so most of the good ones have gone. The ones that are left can usually be got cheaper elsewhere. Might be worth a try though - you never know.

I went into the Bristol store this morning when it opened and wasn't very impressed. I was after an iPod touch, but they only had display ones left that had scratch back. They were offering 10% off, but i asked if they would increase that because they are damaged display models, but they refused and said 10% was the max.

I then looked at some iPod docks, in particular the Pure Contour. At the moment it's around £150 on Amazon (£99 on Black Friday for 30 seconds before they sold out :mad:). In BB this morning it was £199, minus 10%, making it £180!

There was loads of TVs, but again they only had 10% off. I'm sure there will be some bargains for some, but for most you can buy the products just as cheap online.

sattapaal

sounds a bit rubbish then eh...i might send her to the hayes, middlesex one....her parents live round the corner....

....nothing beats good ole Amazon eh.

the.godfather

Novice Member
10% off display stuff is terrible! Surely they need & want to get rid of all this stuff don't they? They aren't going to get rid of much at that kind of discount for grotty display items.

Mo Better Blues

Distinguished Member
I am certainly not a retail expert but the difference between Best Buy and the rest was the level of customer service. They offered the same items at the same price which is not how they sold themselves a year or so ago.

Customer service was not a big enough reason to purchase from them when auntie internet was and continues to be the death knell to the high street.

But back to today, well they certainly know how not to offer bargains. The reductions for display items was a bad joke, TV’s with no remote, unknown hours, scratches, no packaging etc at a 10% discount, blimey how many do I want? Prices that have gone up since last week just so the discount looks bigger than it should.

I do feel very sorry for the staff, they deserved better.

I shall only miss the store because it is one less place to browse and not purchase from and that is the issue all retails outlets have to address before www lays waste to what’s left on our high streets.

harry_houdini

I went into the Croydon store this morning, they had loads of blu rays still left and DVD box sets etc which weren't too bad. It looks like they have front loaded all their stock out on the floor so I imagine once its gone, there won't be any replenishment.

Actually popped in to buy the Jamo 5.1 surround sound package but they had none in stock so just popped onto the website and got them for £160 saving £40..plus £4 quidco, which I doubt will get paid ;)

Anyway, saw an ex dem Arcam AVR 500 for £750 which I thought was a bargain, but the discounts will increase nearer to xmas so keep an eye out

EDIT: It looks like Carphone Warehouse will look to take on the majority of employees.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco update adds Roon 1.8 readiness
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung ranked No.1 TV brand for 15th year running
  • By Andy Bassett