Best Buy Blu-ray Players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mark Hodgkinson, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,357
    2. Blues Rock

Blues Rock

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +113
      Do people actually need Bluray disc players anymore, it is so much easier for convenience and space saving to just copy the disc to MKV on to an External Hard Drive then Plug and Play into a Media Player, mine is Mede8er 600X3D. It even plays PGS Subtitles in Sink, Picture and Sound are Great

3. Devil On Your S

Devil On Your S

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +153
      No its not easier or more convenient at all, that would be to put the disc into a player and play it.

4. Blues Rock

Blues Rock

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +113
      Its better for space saving, copy discs put them in storage, saves having scratched discs about the place. Playing discs now a days is so old school, A lot of people copy their Blurays and Cds onto Hard Drives play from NAS.

5. KingBaka

KingBaka

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +53
      My bluray player may be coming to an end (Panasonic bdt300),so I am looking for an alternative. Can i stream my backed up blurays from a Nas, even 3d ones? Not looking to play converted rips but the full bluray?

6. Makemebad1978

Makemebad1978

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +93
      Try doing that when you have over 1000 discs, how exactly are you scratching your discs? i've dvds from over 15 years ago with no scratches on them.
      I wouldn't be able to afford the storage space needed to have a full raid backup of my discs.

7. andy1249

andy1249
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,208
      Anybody tech savvy would think that, but also anyone tech savvy also knows, that while we do actually live in a society totally reliant on technology, the amount of people that know nothing about it is staggering.

Most would have trouble understanding that post, and if you were to try and explain it to them , this " TLDR" generation would say " just give me the discs and the cheapest player".

8. andy1249

andy1249
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,208
      If you mean ISO,s then no.
      The blu ray association stepped on that feature back in 2012 when they made cinavia mandatory.
      This is why pre 2012 players are holding higher second hand values than they should, as a lot of them could play " disc backups".

If you want to play BD ISO,s with full menu support, there are other boxes that can do this, but not BD players.

Most will play MKV,s, however unless your ripping at full bitrate, something which takes a considerable amount of time per disc, then the best way to watch blu ray content is with a disc and a player.

Blu ray is still the best quality format you can have in the home, nothing matches it or even gets close in terms of picture quality.

Note: backing up your discs still requires you to have a blu ray player, albeit one that goes into your PC.
      You are still spinning discs no matter which way you go!

Also , the drive and the software needed to get by the protection and make the ISO and or mkv file, will most likely cost as much as if not more than the players listed above.

Just to add, there is no legal content available to buy in mkv format, there wouldnt be BD mkv rips without BD players, if BD players were gone tomorrow, mkv rips would disappear also, then we all take a massive step backwards in quality and the best Quality would be streams and itunes purchases, now that would be sad!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    9. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,143
      My old Sony S760 is very good for some dark scenes e.g. Sherlock Holmes, better than even a VXP based media player.

10. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,111
      I welcome threads like this, thanks Mark :smashin:

I'm looking for two players so this may help me in deciding :D

11. HugoFJH

HugoFJH

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +121
      Not quite true software is now free to do this and majority of people still buy a pc with an optical drive of some kind (whether for installation of media /playback or data backup) and internal BR players can be had for less than £50 now as an add on and usually a lot less as an upgrade before you buy.

Although it is very time consuming (especially when doing a direct copy)

Not sure of any value of getting a 4k upscaler in a br player when most 4k TV's would already have one built in and in theory should do better with that particular screen.

Well that's either the fault of the ripping process (ie not doing a direct copy) or the media player itself, but an ISO /MKV can be (and imo should be) completely identical to the source disc

12. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,143
      Always a direct copy.
      This is with a few media players as well, the enhancements are subtle but noticeable.

13. Makemebad1978

Makemebad1978

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +93
      Another question is that if your going to compress the source disc anyway then you may as well just buy your films from itunes, it would be less hassle, non time consuming and no need to payout for the storage hdd's (I would currently require about 54 terabytes of hdd space). If i wasn't concerned about quality i would def go that route

14. xar

xar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +764
      Do any of these allow 4K streaming on Netflix or Amazon prime? I.e. As an alternative to the amazon fire tv unit?

15. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,726
      No. We have only just seen the Amazon Fire TV add that functionality recently. It may appear in new players announced at CES in January.

16. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +608
      Do LG players have Cinavia built in now as my two LG players doesn't?
      Also My Xbox One doesn't but that's another kettle of fish.

17. babator

babator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +224
      I don't see a case for buying a high-end player now with the first real 4k players and discs coming in a few months. The cheap players habe their place since it will be several years before the UHD players will be affordable but the high end Panasonic will get obsoleted almost instantly.

BTW i don't mind the disk loading, what's killing the format for me are the interminable copyright warnings and unskippable ads. Basically the same reason I nowadays only go to the movie theater once a year max.

18. Eltee

Eltee

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +455
      Being a bit long in the tooth, I like to own my media. And by that I mean pay for something tangible not a hyperlink. My Panasonic Blu-ray player will tide me over until the 4k format settles down a bit.

19. obi

obi

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +69
      By no means am I an expert at ripping Blu-Rays but I tend to find that my rips look nowhere near as good as the disc it self, granted it maybe something that I am doing wrong but surely the disc will always give you better picture and sound results as apposed to a rip?

20. HugoFJH

HugoFJH

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +121
      Get a decent quality media player then - they are out there, and you shouldn't have to update it when you become interested in 4k.

There will be no difference (if it is a direct copy) between the disc itself and the file being ripped

When unskippable ads first came out on BR this is what forced me to rip all my media pretty instantly, I understand why the distributor does it but it still infuriates.
      I like going to the cinema for real event type movies (like The Force Awakens which I'm due to see this Thursday) but otherwise like you I always wait for the disc release , as discs now cost similar amount to a cinema ticket anyway.

21. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,143
      The Popcorn Hour A400/410 has the best commercially available video processing unless you want to do something to a Blu-ray rip to bypass Cinavia (without transcoding) and play it on an Oppo.
      The UI support isn't that great but I keep it around.

22. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +241
      Ultimately, steaming will take over from discs once people have faster broad band speeds etc. BRs did not take off like DVDs and now we have 4K discs - I am sick of replacing my collection on the "next big thing" disc. So I have stopped and will be considering NETFLIX et all and see how I go... Rant over!