Best Buy AV Receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Steve Withers, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,182
    2. nolia

nolia

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +61
      I got the Marantz SR7010 a few days ago after reading your review, boy am I pleased. Had a demo with B&W 683s2 and Tannoy Precision 6.2s and tried the KEF r700s but opted for the B&Ws they gave me the sound I like. I will put it to the test later with the dark knight....
      I am also impressed with the 2 channel stereo, very good quality. Happy owner :)

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,116
      No Pioneer models made the cut?

I've always had Denon flagship amps so I'm on the fence between the 7200WA and the Marantz 7010... Quality of stereo being paramount.

Part of me wonders if Pioneer's digital amps in the LX89 might drive my Kef R500's with better control and sparkle, plus Pioneer have kept the optical output while D&M have dropped it.

Nice summary, I just need someone to bring round all 3 models for me to try.

4. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,182
      No Pioneer models made the cut because none were sent for review. The same applies to Onkyo, who haven't sent us samples for years. They're both part of the same group now, so read into that what you like.

5. Diagnosticz

Diagnosticz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +857
      2015 had the pioneer SC-LX88 which I owned and was amazing. As steve mentions not reviewed so cant make the list

6. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      I had a home demo of the lx88 with the KEF R series. Coming from the Cambridge 751r, the pioneer sounded like a budget AVR.

7. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      Currently contemplating either the new Cambridge CXR and Arcam. I'm also interested in the Denon x7200W. All paired with KEF ls50

8. Diagnosticz

Diagnosticz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +857
      No idea how you come to that conclusion i owned the Onkyo 5010 before the pioneer and the lx88 was as good or superior to the Onkyo. Completely different sound to the previous bright Pioneers much more warmer and plenty of power A big sound. So I am little surprised by your comment saying it sounds like a budget amp no way, it sounded every bit a flagship and i am very critical

9. Vime

Vime
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Jules, in the first months of 2015 i got myself the Denon 7200W, the WA wasn't available at that time so when the time will come, I'll upgrade it with a brand new HDMI board for HDCP 2.2 support.
      Anyway: I was as well looking for an AVR which had the best quality possible in stereo and I couldn't be happier with my choice.
      It was either the Denon or the NAD M17 pre-amp with the NAD M27 power-amp.
      I had the budget to go for the NAD pair, but I went for the Denon mainly because of the features: wi-fi, bluetooth, Spotify ready... and can do bi-amp.
      The NAD's missing all these unless for wi-fi (for example) or other stuff you buy an extra upgrade.
      The only thing I wasn't aware of is that these new AVRs are not compatible with MC tonearm cartridges: so I had to buy a step up transformer.
      I went for the Cambridge Audio 651P (which is really good and can be used for both MC and MM cartridges) but soon I'm gonna get an Ortofon ST-80SE.
      My set up for music is as follows:
      -A modified Technics SL1200MKII (brand new KAB tonearm, TD-1200 tonearm damping system, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Ortofon LW800S headshell wires, Ortofon TSW-6000 RCA cables) into the Cambridge Audio 651P step up transformer connected to the Denon with Ortofon Refrence 905 Silver interconnect cables;
      - The Denon then is driving in bi-amp the speakers, connected thru the QED Genesis Silver Spiral bi-wire cables (which actually have 4 plugs on either side of the cable end, so they're actually bi-amp cables, don't know why QED calls them "bi-wire"...)
      - Speakers are a pair of pair of Infinity Kappa 8.1 Series II (the front ported ones, bought in US 21 years ago when I was working there... still going strong) which have got new feet as well: Track Audio isolation feet.
      - Digital music is my whole collection of CDs converted into Lossless files which are usually streamed into the Denon via wi-fi.
      I play the music in "Pure Direct" setting, which is the Denon way to deliver music as it was recorded on the media: no EQ is applied and the video part of the AVR is turned off to avoid interferences.
      I just love the quality of the sound I get now.
      I think Denon does deliver the expected "bang for the bucks": it's up there even with the more expensive solutions.
      As far as surround sound: can't go wrong there. I have "only" a 5.1 set up at home and the result is nevertheless astonishing.
      I bought the Auro 3D upgrade and the 7200 runs my 5.1 set up in Auro 2D with a really clear and broad sound and correctly placed effects throughout the whole system. It's wide and present in the front with clear voice from the center channel (with a really tiny help by the main speakers now, because of the Auro 2D effect) and it can simulate really good (to some extent, of course) the 3D effect like sounds from the overhead.
      Do I need a power amplifier with the 7200? No really.
      Would be nice to have? Yeah... maybe LOL
      Let's see, maybe, if Denon will come up with the "son" of the POA-A1HD power amp: that would be a nice add.

10. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548

The pioneer was very good at throwing effects around the room. The sound was big and wide but it just didn't sound real or convincing which is where the 751r trumps a lot of AVRs. Even my wife commented on the difference of the sound and how it wasn't as good.

This is obviously just my opinion and I'm not interested in starting a bickering match !

11. Quebee2006

Quebee2006

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +54
      I am awaiting the cxr200 to drop in price and I will jump on that band wagon as well!! Hoping for some January sales[emoji15]

I currently have an arcam avr400 which is pretty damn good as well but u haven't heard anything that competes with the CA 751r.

Like yours Rick, my wife also said the CA was the best and she often comments how they all sound the same

12. Diagnosticz

Diagnosticz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +857
      My comments are always friendly was just making my point was the pioneer brand new as it does need running in time as was with mine took bout week to really open up and again needs a few runs of MCACC to get the sound Right

13. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      It was an ex demo unit so it had plenty of hours in it. I did play with MCACC but the Pioneer just wasn't in the same league. Same goes for the Marantz kit, I don't think they're a patch on the Cambridge units but then we all like sound in our own unique way.

I had the Audiolab 8200ap at home a couple of months ago and that is one serious sounding processor.

14. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548

Just seen an Arcam 600 for sale so was contemplating that. Like you though I think I'll get one of the new Cambridge CXR units

15. Diagnosticz

Diagnosticz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +857
      Before I bought my current marantz and power amp combo I borrowed my friends Audiolab 8200ap and 8200 x7 power amp and I agree amazing sound so much detail was hearing things in films I never noticed before no room correction just simple spl meter. Thats what you get with separates. My current marantz setup has the edge over the Audiolab's with audessey etc

16. Makemebad1978

Makemebad1978

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +94
      I've started wishing amps wouldn't have so many audio modes (and the buttons to go with them) you can select yourself, i just want to plug in the source and have it auto detect what i want. I've never used most of the modes on any amp ie Dolby PL2 movie, neo6 cinema, theatre dimensional. Even the audio modes likes orchestra, unplugged, studio-mix all sound terrible over standard stereo.

17. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,690
      Agreed, all the "Advanced" modes such as "Sports" etc are gimmicks that never get used... by me at least.

Disappointed that no Pioneer receivers could be included, pretty much decided that the SCLX59 will be my next upgrade. The Marantz was tempting but put off by reports of build quality, plus I like my info displayed all the time, not hidden by a flap.

18. SD1978

SD1978
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +23
      I have Tannoy revolution xt6f + yamaha rx 1050. And I am very disappointed. Specially with a music. I am selling this reseiver now, and going to try demo between maranz 6010 and pioneer lx59,79.

19. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      Which marantz combo do you have??

Whilst I've not been massive fan of Marantz & Denon AV kit I'm still open to arranging demo's of the 7200W and maybe Marantz pre & PWR. Maybe the KEF ls50 will make the sound more exciting for me.

20. camelot1971

camelot1971

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +938
      The AVR600 is a cracking amp - it has a few quirks but mine has been rock solid and fab sound quality.

21. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      What kind of quirks? The 450 are around the same price.

22. RMR1der

RMR1der

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +110
      Well I can only say that I'm so glad that i replaced my Denon AVR x7200wa with the Arcam avr550. I had always Denon flagship Receivers before but i defenitely never go back again! the Arcam avr550 is by far the best Receiver i ever had.

cheers

23. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      Didn't realise they're out yet, just been in a couple of sites which say pre order.

24. RMR1der

RMR1der

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +110
      I have mine since the beginning of November. the Problem is that they are sold out in many stores. but in switzerland where i live they are available...

25. Diagnosticz

Diagnosticz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +857
      I have the marantz 7702mk2 and MM8003 this combo has the best sound I have heard in my room and i have had probably 6-7 different setups in last 2 years. I will not be changing this for while now maybe upgrade the power amp which is a great bonus having separates the Marantz pro is staying the whole soundstage and separation is outstanding, bass is something I always was messing with audessey has done a great job, and the bass is now perfect I will never go back to a one box receiver again. I have not heard the Marantz 7200 and if you look around and find a decent multi chan power amp for a good price between 400-700, then the 7702 is affordable and definitely worth thinking about. The 7200 will prob set you back the same amount

26. RMR1der

RMR1der

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +110
      something that is reslly a big step forward is the implementation of the Dirac room correction software in the ned Arcams. that is just amazing. you can adjust every frequence response curve of every speaker the way you want it. or you let the software calculation untouched and it does a great job! way better than the audyssey xt32 i had in the denon avr x7200wa i think.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    27. camelot1971

camelot1971

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +938
      Mainly HDMI quirks but if you get one with the 3d board installed most of those are banished. The 600 is a much better amp than the 450, mainly as it has the class G amplification, like the 750 and 850.

28. Diagnosticz

Diagnosticz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +857
      I would agree that dsp is a gimmick if you are just using the same speaker setup, but added channels like front heights/ wides or now atmos overhead using dolby surround it definitely is no gimmick and includes mixing in them channels and really enhances the overall sound. Once dts-x is available you will have neural-x again will be a beneficial dsp

29. Makemebad1978

Makemebad1978

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +94
      Not sure i was making sense in what i was saying.
      I am a complete novice but a purest that has no interest in fiddling with things even though i have had surround amps since i was at school and have always had 5.1 (no room for 7.1 and atmos is too new for me to consider yet)
      So then what i mean is that if a movie titles soundtrack is dts-ma or dolby true audio then that is what i want to appear on the front of the amp, if it doesn't i don't have any clue as whether i am hearing what the director intended me to hear, all these modes that seem to have no use to me just confuse the situation more, ie i've never seen for example a movie box say neo 6 so i see no need for that to be on the amp.
      I also will only play music as stereo as i consider all the fake modes of using all the speakers from the stereo source to sound just terrible.
      This may come across a bit rude but its not meant to be, its just late and i'm not thinking quite straight after a few bevvies ;)

30. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +548
      I think we all understood what your saying :-D and most probably agree with you, I definitely do.