1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best burner / media for HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Marco491, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Marco491

Marco491

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help with two related questions?

1. I need to buy a DVD burner for my PC to back up my home movies. Would any old burner do to view the resultant DVDs on my HS2 or are there compatibility problems?

2. I haven't been able to share the DVD-Rs I have made on my HS2 with anyone else, i.e. they don't want to play on other DVD players, but they all work fine on my HS2, and of course I can view all commercial DVDs.

Presumably this is a media problem. I have tried several friends' players so I don't think it's their hardware that is the cause of it.

This choice of the best media is perhaps also relevant for the first question relating to a PC burner.

Thanks for any input or advice,
    Mark

2. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you need to close the disk before it will play on normal DVD players?

3. Marco491

Marco491

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I don't know what "closing the disk" means. Is this some kind of option on the "dubbing" screen?

Thanks,
    M.

4. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Marco491
    Hopefully I can answer.
    You need to 'finalize' the DVD-R in the HS2 before it can be played on other DVD players. Using the remote press the 'dvd' button and then the 'function' button. This should show that you've got the DVD as the active device (as opposed to the HDD).
    Select the properties of the DVD-R. This will allow you to put a title on the DVD-R as well as a menu. You should have an option for 'finalize' (I'm not in front of my HS2 at the moment).

Regarding your first question (and this relates to the 2nd question also) : you might have some problems with different types of media. I backed up a movie onto a DVD-R which wouldn't play at all on one player but plays on most other players I've tried it in. This could affect discs recorded on your HS2. Unfortunately it can be a bit hit & miss until you settle on a brand/type that works 100% for all of the players you're targeting. Some people never have a problem though - you might be lucky.

5. Marco491

Marco491

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot, I'll give that a try. Presumably I can still do it on disks I burned months ago that were never finalised.

Kind regards,
    M.

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you don't finalise them eventually they wont play at all.

Some media will fail if you don't finalise before removing from the machine, such as datawrite reds.

My hs2 will not play any +r that I have tried, therefore I suggest you stick to -r recorders, one that can take -ram would be useful such as the panasonic or lg.

Why don't you back up your home movies with the hs2, that is one of the reasons for getting it surely? Easy record to the hard drive, easy editing and burning to -r.

7. Marco491

Marco491

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I finalised an old one last night and was then able to view it on my PC. I have given it to a friend for checking...

WRT home movie editing on the HS2, I can't believe it could be easier or more accurate than using a mouse-driven app on the PC, especially given the amount of footage I accidentally take of my feet or the inside of the lens cap...

But I'll give it a try (haven't yet looked into what leads etc. I would need).

Thanks,
    M.

8. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Dump the whole home movie onto the hs2 hard drive, then compile what you want using playlists, and then burn to -r, must be easier than any computer program I have tried, just can't add any of the fancy effects.