best build dvd recorder Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by maralv, Sep 5, 2004.

1. maralv

maralv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at the following dvd players RDXS32 DVD520H DMR-E85HS which one do you think would be most reliable. Please recomende best choice

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    They are all going to be reliable and there are happy owners of all three machines on these boards. The build quality on all three is acceptable and much of a muchness - although at this price point I don't think anyone would expect anything particularly special.

You should ask yourself what features you want:

The RDXS32 offers excellent authoring options but has so many features it is arguably quite complex. It has iLink, multi-format support (DVD-RW/-R/-RAM) as well as component out and progressive scan. Arguably the best all-round DVD recorder at present.

The Panasonic E85 has no iLink but offers the best all-round recording quality (including 3hrs full resolution as opposed to 2hrs 20mins on the Toshiba/Pioneer). It also offers DVD-Audio support. However it has less authoring options which makes it easier to use but gives less choice as to final menu design. The E85 records to DVD-RAM and DVD-R - the latter is the most compatible DVD format but is a write-once format. Therefore if you intend to record programmes to watch on an upstairs DVD player then you should look at the Pioneer or Toshiba models. You will probably end up using DVD-R more often than not though whatever recorder you get.

The 520 has no progressive scan or component. It has less authoring options than the Toshiba but more than the Panasonic. Records to DVD-RW and DVD-R and does have an iLink socket.

Bottom line: I would suggest going for the Toshiba RDXS32 unless the recorder is going to be used by a technophobe or if you intend to 'author' the disks on your PC in which case I would recommend the Panasonic E85.

3. BlueScreen

BlueScreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Well, someone always forget to tell something when they talk about the Pioneer.
    The Pioneer can highspeed copy to 8x dvd-r (8mins/dvd), highspeed copy to 4x dvd-rw (15mins/dvd), record in PAL,SECAM,NTSC and PAL-60. It has iLink in and out. It also has a "disc backup" feature (make duplicates of finalized video-mode discs). It has a much better timer than the panasonic (I don't know about the tosh). And it is VERY reliable.

4. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does using dvd-ram on the panasonic force you to work with .VRO files on the pc?
    Also does the Panasonic use Hybrid VBR recording on DVD-RAM only or DVD-R too?

Looks like the panasonic encoding technology is a generation ahead of the competition, but VRO format files could be a disadvantage on the PC and for playing video over home networks?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Yes, it uses Hybrid VBR on both. It's part of the encoding process and is totally independant from disk type.

Yes, but that is no disadvantage at all. VRO files ("Video Recording") are used by both DVD-RAM and DVD-RW (VR Mode). It's non-linear structure allows editting, playlists, timeslip etc on your set-top DVD recorder. Now if your going to author on your PC it doesn't really matter what format the original file is in as most applications now fully support VR mode. Certainly all the mainstream authoring applications do as well as DVD playback software such as WinDVD and Cyberlink software DVD players.

BlueScreen,

The PAL60 recording is a useful feature if you have NTSC videos you want to archive. But how many such titles aren't available on DVD? And if your really intent on archiving irreplaceable material then you would get a Super Copymate that would make this entirely a non-issue anyway. Panasonic models, as your are probably aware, have full NTSC recording ability.

iLink In and Out isn't of much benefit on a HDD/DVDR combo. The whole purpose of such a connection is allow dubbing from a camcorder to the DVD recorder in VR mode for editting, then back to the camcorder and then back to the DVD recorder in Video mode. Clearly that isn't required on a HDD/DVDR combo but is a benefit on standalones such as the 5100 or 320.

The 'disk backup' feature is handy if you don't have access to a PC. But given that you should ideally keep backups on as many different makes and types and media as is reasonable you can achieve a similar effect by keeping a master DVD-RAM on a Panasonic/Toshiba.

Bottom line is whilst the Pioneer does have a few nice features it is the poor relation of the Toshiba and Panasonic range. Pioneer's new 920 model looks like it might well take the crown as best DVD recorder - but at £1300 we can quite reasonably expect it to be far removed from its much cheaper poor relations.

6. BlueScreen

BlueScreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Tell me where I can buy the homemade movies sent to me from my family in US on DVD ! And I don't need any copymate. My Pioneer does it very well.
    I want the iLink out because I want to save my edited recordings back to tape for later use.
    So you say the 5100 will benefit from it, but not the 520 ? That tells us how much you know about these recorders. They both have HDD !

You can't do the "disc backup" on RAM. The "disc backup" makes identical dupes, with menus, disc name and everything ! A complete clone. It's very handy when a friend asks for a copy and you don't want to go upstairs and startup the pc. Just put in the source disc, wait a few minutes while you continue to speek with your friends, and finally put in the blanc disc when it ask for it.
    I think the oposite. You can't know the Pioneers very well.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Typo - I meant the 3100 - as most people who know about these recorders would have guessed ;)

Go back and read what I wrote. When you have calmed down then come back and I will explain what you don't understand. BlueScreen, why don't you read through a few posts on the forum, learn a bit more then come back. Nobody really has much time for a newbie who shouts before he talks. And given the advice and assistance I provide on this forum I don't think you'll get very far by suggesting I don't know what I'm talking about. I know the Pioneer models very well - and they are good machines - but I'm not going to lie and say they are the best just because you have brought one. Bronze not Gold.

An indicator of the standards you expect to the standards everyone has I suspect.

8. BlueScreen

BlueScreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Am I shouting ?

So I'm a newbie now. Only because I havn't posted much in this forum ? And you are right because you have posted so much ? he,he. I know a lot about recorders. My pioneer is not the only recorder i have. I have tried almost every recorder, except the tosh. And the pioneer is the best so far.
    Well, you can relax. I will not post much in here. I don't feel very welcome. And I don't have time for arogant people like you.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Is that surprising? It is an extremely arrogant person, and somewhat foolish person, who joins a forum as a newbie and immediately has a go at one of the senior members. A generally accepted rule of ANY internet forum is that newbies at least do some research before they jump in.

Frankly I don't see what your getting so upset about - it's not as if you brought a lemon - you just decided to sacrifice recording quality and features for PAL60 and in/out iLink.

:rotfl: of course you have... As I said in my previous post: doing a bit more reading of forum posts and then we can discuss the situation further.

10. BlueScreen

BlueScreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    :smashin: He,he. This is just funny. :clown:

11. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like DV-OUT and as far as I know, Pioneer and JVC are the only manufacturers with models that do this. I sometimes have need to transfer to and from DV-TAPE and being able to go in both directions is useful.

Calm down - don't overreact - It seems to me that Rasczak tried to be his usual helpful self, made a typo and did not give every detailed spec. Bluescreen replied with some more info and a punch up ensued! Calm Down Dear - It only a commercial!!!!

12. BlueScreen

BlueScreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    And back to the question in the first post: "which one do you think would be most reliable ?" How can anyone tell without more information ? You can't say that this man should pick unit 1 insted of unit 2 because it has better recording quallity (which seems to be very subjective) or that the unit is better/more reliable because it has prog.scan. My point was that many of the units does offer much more features and options. And maybe some of the not mentioned features does matter for other people, even if it doesn't matter for you or me.

13. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm also a newbie, but I've been here reading threads and pots for at least 6 months. I read almost all of them !

I think I read all the posts made by Rasczak !
    I must confess I've learned a lot with him. My personal thanks to Rasczak ! You are an added value to this forum, for sure.

But I think that BlueScreen is right in pointing out some issues:

First Issue - Recording PQ (very complex issue):

Question: “Why is always considered that recording PQ is not so good in the Pioneer models and is better in Panasonic or Toshiba models ?”

Yes, why ?

What recording PQ are we talking about ? Just the 3hrs full resolution as opposed to 2hrs 20mins on the Toshiba/Pioneer issue ? 3 hrs a what bitrate ? Is that good PQ ?

Or are we comparing recording PQ in FINE / XP mode ? Or in SP mode ? Or others ?

Using what video input ? Composite ? Svideo ? RGB ? DV ? In-built tunner ?

Which combination of Input source / recording mode is better in each model ?

Who can answer all these questions ?

I can't !

I say this because there are other forums (namely AVSFORUM) where you can read threads/posts of users that have tested all these 3 models (pioneer, panasonic, toshiba) and clearly say that recording PQ of the pioneer is the best. Others will say panasonic is the best. Others that toshiba is the best.

So who is right ?

Honestly, I think everyone is.

I'm pretty happy with my Pioneer 5100. I do recordings from the in-built tuner of my pioneer 5100 and at SP they are equal to the original broadcast. Excellent recording PQ. I can say this for my self.
    I also do recordings from the DV-In. FINE mode. Absolutely excellent recording PQ. No doubt about that.

And I guess that other people with panasonic or toshiba models can also say the same thing about theirs. Probably they all are satisfied with the recording PQ they get with their machines.

After all, we are talking about panasonic, toshiba and pioneer. All of them get my respect.

But until someone can state that has made some A/B comparison tests, and explain how they were done, I think no one can say which one is better.

Second issue - Features

Well, here I must say that BlueScreen has a point. Because everyone has his own needs, and I think we can not average on that.

---- My own example -----

Here are the main complaints (generally speaking) about pioneer 5100: no component out, no progressive scan, no RGB in.

But, I have a pioneer 5100. That’s what I need. Why ?

Because my TV set doesn't have component in nor accepts progressive scan. I will not change my TV set in the next 3 years. But when I do, I'll probably have a nice and big Plasma or a DLP Projector or whatever, with HDMI / DVI, component / progressive scan, or whatever the new technologies will be in these timeframe. And then I will have a nice DVD Player (Blu-ray or HD-DVD, or whatever) that will also play my DVD-R disks and will have exactly the same output interfaces as the plasma / prj / whatever. So I will never need these features on my DVD-R recorder. That one is just for recording !

And because I cannot record anything from a RGB source ! But then, well, there will be (I hope), in a not-so-far future, Hi-def TV in my country and that will not use RGB for sure ! So ... really no need for that also !

So, the extra-features of Pioneer 5100 (namely disc-backup, I don't have a PC, and I don't want to have) are very welcome to me. In fact I need that feature !

So, in my particular case, the pioneer is the best recorder for my own needs.

But yes, I would also like to have some of excellent authoring options of toshiba recorder. But ... it is not even sold in my country ! And even if it was, I really would need that disk-backup option of pioneer !

And I think that's how everyone that wants to buy a DVD recorder should go on: define
    exactly what you need and buy the recorder that does all of that (or at least all the major important things).

Because what is best for Person A, may NOT be the best for you !

And above all, always take any post with a little bit of salt ... no one will ever be 100% objective ... we are not machines ... we are always subjective in everything we do !

Best regards,

14. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373

lol listen to the Pioneer fanboy :thumbsdow

15. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Less semiotics and more techno babble please! The message seems to be the Panasonic PQ is better at lower bit rates. What about SQ - which brand gives the most 'open' sound A/D/A...?