1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 'Budget' speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by House, Feb 3, 2003.

1. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After some advice (I am clueless on speakers) for some 'budget' (No more than £100) speakers for the children's day room. It has a DVD player (also used to play MP3s) standard CRT tv. DVD player has outputs for connecting a 5.1 setup.
    To be honest probably only want a front pair to just give it some more volume rather than using the TV or should I go 5.1 ?

Any advice/suggestions ?

Thanks.

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi house
    The 5.1 outputs you have on the dvd are for connecting up the internal decoders ie dts or dolby digital they are not speaker connections. you can use the on board decoders on some of the old prologic receivers to give you 5.1 sound.
    gonzo:)

3. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    You really want to get something along the lines of the Acoustic Solution Packages...

They start at £100 and have everything you need, A Subwoofer and 5 satellites... with built in dolby digital and DTS decoder.. and 75W RMS amp....

it has all the amplifier and dolby digital decoder built into the subwoofer so this would just take 1 lead from the DVD player(Digital Out) (ignoring the 5 normal audio outputs), plug it into the decoder part of the Subwoofer, then the 5 satellite speakers are also plugged into the Subwoofer/amplifier, and thats it...

goto www.currys.co.uk and search for "ACOUSTIC".. its the DIX333 package...

My mate bought one for his X Box, and its pretty good considering the cost...

4. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Richer sounds are doing a Goodmans 5.1 amp/speaker package for £79.00 (I think). It is in their latest pamphlet, I have not seen it on the web, but it might be there somewhere. Failing that, have a look at 5.1 speaker systems for computers, which all have built in amps. You could have a look in PCWorld, they have some good offers sometimes and you can always check the web for better prices. Maplin also has some good budget systems. If you use computer speakers, you will have to make sure that you have sufficient control of volume/balance. I used the Packard Bell Theatre 5800 speaker system connected to my DVD 5.1 output. It costed £59 from PCWorld (half price offer) and sounded excellent. A couple of times I tried upgrading to a more expensive package (relatively speaking) but had to return them because they didn't sound as good.

5. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks very much. I shall check it out.