1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Budget Projector £900'ish

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Beaumont, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Beaumont

Beaumont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to embark into the would of ‘Home Cinema’… I have recently converted my caller that has minimal daylight and great soundproofing. (Room detail = Height is 2m, Room size 6m x 4m and the viewing space is 3.5 wide). I would like to run the following through the projector PC, SKY, DVD and an XBOX. I have installed the surround sound, which sounds great and I have a budget of £900. Considered/Recommended: - A friend advised me of the Panasonic PTAE 300 or 500, which are hard to find, and I have seen an Infocus 4805 in my local Sevenoaks HiFi. Please help… Any one?

2. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The infocus 4805 is an excellent projector. It is colour calibrated at the factory and so gives a picture very close to what you see at the cinema. It has 2000:1 contrast (high contrast is important so that detail doesn't get lost in dark scenes and the picture dosen't look "washed out"). The onboard scaler chip deals well with off air signals. The only problems with it is that the fan noise is louder than some other models (get to view it at sevenoaks to see it it annoys you or not) and it doesn't have a high definition chip meaning when sky start broadcasting in high-def (probably next year) you won't be able to take advantage of the extra picture resolution, though the image it gives with standard definition content is so good this may not matter to you. I've got one and am very happy with it.

Other projectors in the same price range to consider are the Sanyo PLV-Z3, the Panasonic PT-AE700 and the Hitachi PJ-TX100. These are all high definition projectors but the LCD technology they use means they have a lower contrast range (between 700 and 900:1 when calibrated for cinema colour). My main advice is to get viewings of any projectors you are interested in.

3. Beaumont

Beaumont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank's Drbob.... I have not seen a PTAE700 for £900 as yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I'll keep my options open for the moment and trial a few units as suggested! Thank's again!

4. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    You could alway try the second hand market, there is usually a few 500's and Z2 being sold here.

I have a 500 and I'm very happy with the picture.

5. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just be a little careful when buying a second hand projector. Replacement lamps cost £300 to £400 and can quickly turn a bargain into an expensive mistake if it blows just after you've bought it.

6. Beaumont

Beaumont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be visiting a local store to look at the Infocus 4805 tomorrow, Re: listen to the noise and image as suggested. Looking around I have managed to find several Panasonic PT-AE700 for around £1144.00. (Down £500.00 from when I looked last!) I think I should also view this unit as well, although only good reports from what I have read... Not sure if secondhand market is best for me, lamp's etc as mentioned.. Thank's though! :)

7. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    One thing to bear in mind is to be on the lookout for rainbows with DLP. You don't get them with LCD (you do get certain other issues of course :) ). Only reason I mention it is that I find DLP looks great, but I brought my wife along to a demo once (she doesn't know what a rainbow is :cool: ), and she quite literally couldn't watch the screen at all.

8. Beaumont

Beaumont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your help! Sorry for the delay in my response... (Hard disk has gone Bang - Just what I need!) I'll go see the recomended list projectors etc.. However several shops in Tottenham Court road have told me that the Panasonic PTAE700 @ £1140 will be an import and have no UK warranty/cover! any views...

9. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Be sure to think about the setting you will be watching films in. Can you make the room at home totally dark or will there be some ambient light? Most people can't afford to set aside a room to create the ideal conditions you will get in an av dealer screening room. Certain projectors offer a stunning picture in total darkness but can't cope with even low levels of ambient light due to their lumen output.

10. Beaumont

Beaumont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am lucky as the current location for the projector is in a cellar, great for the surround sound and a little light from one window, which will be obscured... I will ask to see the projector with no sound to concentrate on the image and also listen to the running noise of the unit, I'll also open any curtains etc as suggested... I'll move at some point and the so unit must work in normal room, good point. Thx.