Best budget new/used projector for under £1000

Metigue

Novice Member
Hey folks,

So I've done some research and the projector I would need for my setup would need horizontal lens shift although I'm not sure by how many degrees.

I need more lumens because I'm in a room with off-white walls and blackout curtains on the side near the projection but there is some light leakage. Having said that, I want good image quality which means DLP is out - I want to find a used laser/LCoS for the best image quality. As I need low input lag for gamings JVC's D-iLA is out and I must turn to Sony's SXRD I also like the look of the Epson projectors for this. Ideally I'm looking for a 4k/60hz(24hz for movies) but picture quality is the ultimate decider.

So the contenders I have found are:
  • Epson eh-tw9200W(5030UB) (2400 lumens + Color lumens) (1080p)- Refurb for £699 (Seems to be a great deal but Ideally I'd want 4k 60hz) - 1 year warranty
  • Epson eh-tw7000(3200HC) (2900 Lumens + Color lumens) (Faux 4k) - new for £959 - At first I was worried about the lesser pixels to DLPs but image comparisons often had them winning! 4k/60hz is great - 4 year warranty 3 year lamp warranty
  • SONY-VPL-HW55ES - Used for £550 (1080p) 1800 Lumens + color lumens. Seems amazing for the price?! 280/1500 hours on the bulb. The picture just looks great with these units and very low input lag. The only issue is it's 170 miles away - I've contacted the seller to see if he can deliver but if he can't then I'll have to look at some other options. I'm also slightly worried about the low lumens with the amount of ambient light I have coming through but from reviews online it seemed to fight ambient light well.
  • Epson EH-TW7300 - Used - (Faux 4k) - £1250 - Customer trade-in. Doesn't say how many hours on the lamp. A bit overbudget if I'm honest but I'd be willing to stretch for a noticable return - Not sure if this unit is worth it over the newer 7000 especially with it only supporting 4k/30hz due to the lesser HDMI.
  • Optoma UHD30 - 3400 lumens ??? (800-1200? I'd guess from looking at picture reviews) Color lumens- New for £893.88 with jp-uk - 1 year warranty - Worst picture quality of the lot thanks to DLP but true 4k. I could price match with richer sounds to get £££ off and a 6 year warranty. It's the only projector without horizontal lens shift though which I really need for a desk mount in my setup. I have a ceiling mount ready to go but my light fittings might get in the way. I've tested it with my current amazon knock off and there might be a sweet spot if I extend the mount to it's maximum length.
  • ViewSonic x100-4k (2900 LED lumens? W/e that means) ??? color lumens - I understand this isn't out yet even overseas so I'm not sure when it would release here and if it would be overbudget). It seems like the LED + DLP combo is great from reviews of the much weaker X10 - From the way ViewSonic is marketing it they really feel like they're on to a winner. The only lens shifting DLP remotely close to price range.
My main use will be with the PC, PS4 and later the PS5 - I'm a sci-fi fanatic and watch a lot of movies and tv series. I'm sure they will look fantastic in 1080p with some of these projectors or better yet 4k. I'm eventually going to upgrade to full blackout curtains and invest in some projector paint for the wall. There is a perfect 100" square above my bed where I already project from my Dr Q "4500" fake lumen projector it looks pretty good already so I'm really excited to see the final product. I'm also interested in a great 3d experience - (I think the 9200W comes with 2 pairs of glasses actually) I think I read somewhere high brightness DLPs and Epsons are the best at this? Ideally I would like to do all of this before father's day so that I can give my dad a really cool 3d experience (He loves special effects and really enjoyed avatar). Then I can also give him my old Dr. Q projector.

What do you guys think? Which of these projectors should I go for?

noob0101

Hey folks,

So I've done some research and the projector I would need for my setup would need horizontal lens shift although I'm not sure by how many degrees.

I need more lumens because I'm in a room with off-white walls and blackout curtains on the side near the projection but there is some light leakage. Having said that, I want good image quality which means DLP is out - I want to find a used laser/LCoS for the best image quality. As I need low input lag for gamings JVC's D-iLA is out and I must turn to Sony's SXRD I also like the look of the Epson projectors for this. Ideally I'm looking for a 4k/60hz(24hz for movies) but picture quality is the ultimate decider.

• Epson eh-tw9200W(5030UB) (2400 lumens + Color lumens) (1080p)- Refurb for £699 (Seems to be a great deal but Ideally I'd want 4k 60hz) - 1 year warranty
  • Epson eh-tw7000(3200HC) (2900 Lumens + Color lumens) (Faux 4k) - new for £959 - At first I was worried about the lesser pixels to DLPs but image comparisons often had them winning! 4k/60hz is great - 4 year warranty 3 year lamp warranty
  • SONY-VPL-HW55ES - Used for £550 (1080p) 1800 Lumens + color lumens. Seems amazing for the price?! 280/1500 hours on the bulb. The picture just looks great with these units and very low input lag. The only issue is it's 170 miles away - I've contacted the seller to see if he can deliver but if he can't then I'll have to look at some other options. I'm also slightly worried about the low lumens with the amount of ambient light I have coming through but from reviews online it seemed to fight ambient light well.
  • Epson EH-TW7300 - Used - (Faux 4k) - £1250 - Customer trade-in. Doesn't say how many hours on the lamp. A bit overbudget if I'm honest but I'd be willing to stretch for a noticable return - Not sure if this unit is worth it over the newer 7000 especially with it only supporting 4k/30hz due to the lesser HDMI.
  • Optoma UHD30 - 3400 lumens ??? (800-1200? I'd guess from looking at picture reviews) Color lumens- New for £893.88 with jp-uk - 1 year warranty - Worst picture quality of the lot thanks to DLP but true 4k. I could price match with richer sounds to get £££ off and a 6 year warranty. It's the only projector without horizontal lens shift though which I really need for a desk mount in my setup. I have a ceiling mount ready to go but my light fittings might get in the way. I've tested it with my current amazon knock off and there might be a sweet spot if I extend the mount to it's maximum length.
  • ViewSonic x100-4k (2900 LED lumens? W/e that means) ??? color lumens - I understand this isn't out yet even overseas so I'm not sure when it would release here and if it would be overbudget). It seems like the LED + DLP combo is great from reviews of the much weaker X10 - From the way ViewSonic is marketing it they really feel like they're on to a winner. The only lens shifting DLP remotely close to price range.
My main use will be with the PC, PS4 and later the PS5 - I'm a sci-fi fanatic and watch a lot of movies and tv series. I'm sure they will look fantastic in 1080p with some of these projectors or better yet 4k. I'm eventually going to upgrade to full blackout curtains and invest in some projector paint for the wall. There is a perfect 100" square above my bed where I already project from my Dr Q "4500" fake lumen projector it looks pretty good already so I'm really excited to see the final product. I'm also interested in a great 3d experience - (I think the 9200W comes with 2 pairs of glasses actually) I think I read somewhere high brightness DLPs and Epsons are the best at this? Ideally I would like to do all of this before father's day so that I can give my dad a really cool 3d experience (He loves special effects and really enjoyed avatar). Then I can also give him my old Dr. Q projector.

Hey folks,

You have a lot of requirements and I assume not a high budget. So you'll have to compromise.

If you watch Sci Fi you need to have good blacks, IMO. So no DLPs, including the Viewsonic.

But before you get any projector, the room must be treated since reflections will affect contrast and especially black level:

The way to find out what lumens a projector actually have is to measure it or get it from a review that has.

4K is primarily not about resolution. First it's the grading of the 4K version, higher bandwidth, expanded color gamug, and then resolution.
Sharpness perception is affected by many factors, including source.

Not clear what the screen wall dimensions are.

Before deciding on a diagonal, the projector must be used on a wall for a while. The general ratio is 10-12" for every foot in distance.

JVC have the best blacks, but are not that bright, lamps are expensive, and some older models lamps dim quicker. Not sure about 3D and lag.
3D requires brightness, so not ideal.

3LCD (Epson) are suspectible to ghosting with different results from users. TW6000, 7000, have poor contrast (black level), epsecially the TW7000. The active iris helps out, but native contrast is more relevant.

I don't know where you read that laser has good contrast. Maybe some older (expensive) model.

You could get a DLP projector just for 3D for a dual projector setup.

The assumption that you need a brighter projector because the room has light walls is wrong. You actually need less so there will be less reflections.

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Sony will tick most of your boxes.

What is your budget?

You should budget for:
Room treatment
Screen
Projector
3D glasses

It all addd up. JVC is out if you want to game. If you want a decent contrast you need either an ALR screen or ideally room treatment or if you are feeling experimental projector paint.

Good 3D glasses can be a bit costly too.

Have you got sound sorted?

I have a Sony hw40es u can give you a good deal on.it will likely better all of your options given the value proposition,

Proper room treatment, ALR screen or projector paint will improve your pq more than anything else so need to be budgeted for.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom