Question Best budget floor speakers

Munim00

Novice Member
Tannoy eclipse 3 or wharfedale diamond 230? Very best budget audiophile speakers?? Which would be better sounding with punchier bass and clarity???

Orobas

Tannoy eclipse 3 or wharfedale diamond 230? Very best budget audiophile speakers?? Which would be better sounding with punchier bass and clarity???
What amp and source will be driving them please. alot will depend on this as on paper alone.. the Tannoy's edge the Whafedales by a considerable margin

Munim00

Novice Member
Thanks a lot for replying. . Will buy Denon AVR 3600h / 4500h, haven't decided yet. At the moment running Yamaha AX 570 (it's a very very old amp). Have a very good price on tannoy eclipse 3. So need to decide quickly.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Do you need surround sound? If not you are better going for a stereo amp over the denon quoted.

If you need surround then worth checking you can get a centre channel in the same speaker series, rears are less of an issue with matching.

Orobas

Do you need surround sound? If not you are better going for a stereo amp over the denon quoted.

If you need surround then worth checking you can get a centre channel in the same speaker series, rears are less of an issue with matching.
The Eclipse Centre can be had for a bargain £49 atm at Richer sounds.. if the OP is going surround that is...

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Audiophile or "Punchy Bass"?? Which do you want?

An audiophile speaker would be accurate and would not have a pronounced bass peak to increase the low end response. Budget speakers often have this as it suits modern tastes on the whole.

At the end of the day, it's down to your listening tastes, the ability of the amp to control and drive the speakers and your listening environment. A speaker that sounds great in a heavily carpeted and draped room might sound far too bright or boomy in a room without so many soft furnishings.

Munim00

Novice Member

Thanks for the openion. Actually I have a HKTS 16 for home theatre purpose. And I have had my bose acoustimas 5 for long 20 yrs. But I need 2 good speakers for my music only, I can run them with my previous yamaha amp using Denon 3600h's pre amp option.

nylonsyorks

I can't comment on the tannoys, I didn't actually have them on my list, they look cheap and nasty to me, I've heard other cheaper end Tannoys and they offer a sound that doesn't work for me, however, just after christmas I had £600 burning a hole in my pocket for a new pair of floorstanders to replace my old and failing RTL TDL 3s.

Listened to several models by Monitor Audio, Q Acoustics, I hoped to get a listen to a pair of Tannoy XT8Fs, but seems Tannoy have discontinued them, no idea why, seemed a popular speaker.

Chanced a listen to a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 230s, at £250.00, which is over half the price I was looking to pay for something that I really liked. Totally blown away by them, faultless, everything about them is just how I like . I then found out they were originally a £500.00 speaker when released and received lots of praise via reviews and hifi journals. The only let down is the necessity to remove six speaker covers and replace them when doing some serious listening.

I can't say which are the better, it would be impossible, I would recommend to try and have a listen, see which sound appeals the most.

Last edited:

Orobas

With that Yamaha, given its age and specs... i am very reluctant to point to either the tannoy or the wharfedale as the better... you would need to demo the amp on both to choose..

The amp has some pretty good spec for its age and a half decent damping factor plus it does have the natural sound facility.

Munim00

Novice Member
I can't comment on the tannoys, I didn't actually have them on my list, they look cheap and nasty to me, I've heard other cheaper end Tannoys and they offer a sound that doesn't work for me, however, just after christmas I had £600 burning a hole in my pocket for a new pair of floorstanders to replace my old and failing RTL TDL 3s.

Listened to several models by Monitor Audio, Q Acoustics, I hoped to get a listen to a pair of Tannoy XT8Fs, but seems Tannoy have discontinued them, no idea why, seemed a popular speaker.

Chanced a listen to a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 230s, at £250.00, which is over half the price I was looking to pay for something that I really liked. Totally blown away by them, faultless, everything about them is just how I like . I then found out they were originally a £500.00 speaker when released and received lots of praise via reviews and hifi journals. The only let down is the necessity to remove six speaker covers and replace them when doing some serious listening.

I can't say which are the better, it would be impossible, I would recommend to try and have a listen, see which sound appeals the most.
Thank u so much for in depth reviews. I know the best way to choose is to listen since every body has got their own choices. The problem is.. Where I live (out of UK, actually Bangladesh is in Asia)... There r no options to listen and choose. That's why I had asked such silly question... Just to have an expert openion so that I can buy a good one through my relative in uk

Munim00

Novice Member
With that Yamaha, given its age and specs... i am very reluctant to point to either the tannoy or the wharfedale as the better... you would need to demo the amp on both to choose..

The amp has some pretty good spec for its age and a half decent damping factor plus it does have the natural sound facility.
Thanks. I know that my old amp is not a good choice to run decent speakers. That's why I am in search of buying Denon 3600H. But as the yamaha is fully functional still... May be I can drive the sterio 2 channel speakers powered by it. Can have a try... If doesn't work... Will be in need to buy a sterio amp as well