Best budget dvd ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by swayzak, Nov 18, 2001.

1. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi

I'm new to dvd and want to get a cheap(ish) player. I don't want to blow a load of cash cause dvd-r is just around the corner !

Looking to spend around £150-200 (uk based).

Searched the net (including this forum) for reviews - a few stick out e.g. Toshiba 210e, Wharfdale M5.

I'm now thinking seriously about the modified Toshiba 210e from DVD Magic (who are based in my home city).

Any further thoughts on this player (or better alternatives) ?

...and a few other questions (I'm a dvd virgin):

1. The Toshiba doesn't have Dolby 5.1 - is this important ?

2. Several people have complained about "noisy mechanism" - is this a significant drawback ?

3. How will the impending dvd-r explosion affect the future compatibility of current dvd players ?

4. My current Panasonic tv has the normal coax aerial socket plus a Scart socket (nothing else) and the video has 2 SCART sockets. Is this setup enough to get me going ?

cheers

swayzak

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that most complaints about noisy mechanisms on the Tosh 210 relate to those modified by Techtronics and not DVD Magic.

It is a highly rated unit but so is the new Panasonic 444 which is available multi region at around the same price.

The "lack of 5.1" refers to the lack of a Dolby Digital decoder on the player. To listen to surround you will need either a separate amp / receiver or a Dolby Digital TV.

As you will be listening through your television you will be limited to stereo only.

The single scart socket could be a problem as the DVD player outputs a video signal in RGB, S-Video and composite in descending order of quality and there is a possibility that if your TV is a few years old it may only accept a composite signal which is much poorer quality than the others.

If so, daisychain the DVD player through the VCR and into the TV scart.

Ian

3. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks

I'm gonna call DVD Magic tomorrow and get that Toshiba !

4. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Another question...........:eek:

How important is "progressive scan" in a dvd - I see the new Pioneer 444 has it (but not a very good version according to a review on epinions) ?

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Hi

Unless you have a Projector or TV capable of receiving a progressive scan signal its not going to be of much use to you.

Maybe if you want to futureproof yourself to some extent if your planning on changing your tv etc etc

cheers

6. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :confused: aaaaarrrrghhhh !

I was all set to get either a Toshiba sd210e or Panasonic 444 - but now I see the Cyberhome 528 has received pretty postive comments.

The thing is - because dvd-r is presumably going to replace dvd (eventually), I think getting a good "budget" player is the best compromise (until dvd-r becomes established).

However, the Tosh and Pion are at least £100 more expensive than the Cyberhome !

Will I really notice the difference (e.g £100 worth of difference) - or should I just get a Cyberhome ?

swayzak

7. bigH007

bigH007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Aiwa DV-370. It is about 199 pounds and you can it it from Comet. It is multi region via a hackable code on the remote with good all round features.

Anyway that's my input.