1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best budget DVD recorder suitable for camcorder editing?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pacha, May 31, 2005.

1. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in the market for a cheapish (circa £200-£300) dvd recorder for archiving the occasional TV programme/film but an important feature must be the ability to record camcorder footage then be able to edit it.
    Could anyone suggest any suitable machine's please?
    I have a Denon 2900 for playback so playback only isn't a critical issue.
    What format is suitable for my purpose? :confused:

Thanks in advance

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    If your camcorder is a DV one, recommend you get a recorder with a DV (Firewire/Ilink) input. And if you want to edit and create a generally compatible DVD, you need a DVD/HDD recorder.

You can get the Toshiba XS34 for £297 at http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/referrer.asp?SKUNumber=103244&ReferrerCode=4

It has DV in, and 160 GB HDD. It supports DVD-RAM, -RW, and -R. For DVDs which are compatible on most players you'll want to create -R or -RW.

Mark

3. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply!
    Do i need the HDD or does one of the DVD disc formats allow you to move content around before you finalise the disc? i.e. Can you edit on a disc? Do i need to look for any specific DVD format?

Thanks for your help

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    With a DVD-RAM recorder, or one that supports -RW discs in VR mode, yes you can edit the content, but you can't then convert this to a DVD-Video (e.g. DVD-R).
    This article explains it well.
    http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/whichdvd.HTML#4
    So if you want to edit and then create a disc which can play on most players, you need the HDD.

Mark

5. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Toshiba sounds good and would do all i need however i AM interested in the 4hrs full res capability of the Panasonic 50 model. Does this have a DV in? If not, what connections would i use for my camcorder? S-video, composite?

thanks for your help. The link was most helpful.

Pacha :thumbsup:

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    No, the Panasonic EH50 does not have DV in. The EH60 will when it is released. If you go for the EH50 you would use S-video (could also use composite, but S-video is better).

Mark

7. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So what benefit would there be in using DV in instead of S-video?

Isn't the Panasonic going to be the better model given the 4hr full res mode? (I'm thinking this way 'cos i have a lot of footage from our holidays which i would like to keep on the fewest number of discs with best attainable PQ)

Thanks

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    DV will mean your camcorder footage will be transmitted digitally to the recorder with no loss. This should result in a better picture than using a analogue connection such as S-video. (In either case there is some loss when encoding to DVD of course).

DVDs are cheap. Even with the Panasonic, material recorded in 4 hour mode will be noticably lower quality than if you stick to 2 hours or less. The Panasonic is full resolution, but the lower bit rate will mean more "artifacts". You really don't want to use these longer play modes unless you really have to.

Mark

9. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As well as better quality over S-video and composite, with DV you will also get a dedicated menu screen with options, interactivity between the devices and exchange of information which will allow automated chaptering according to your criteria. I've been bowled over at how much faster and easy the process has been compared to PC editing. If you're considering using it with a DV camcorder, I think you'd kick yourself if you didn't go for a recorder with DV in. If the current offerings don't appeal the upcoming EH60 with DV in sounds like it's going to be worth waiting for.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Panasonic E95 has DV in and it can be picked up quite cheap because there is a new model due out.