best budget dvd players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by richie97, May 21, 2002.

1. richie97

richie97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Brand new to this forum and to the AV world. Been into hi-fi for a few years but due to a growing family haven't got into dvd thus far.
    Well I'm about to take my first step. Read up on a few items and wish to pick your knowledge on a dvd player. I am considering the following Marantz 4200- for£200 in my local shop --Pioneer 444 for £189 at same place --Tosh 210e--or the Sony that sell for about £250( the 700 i think). Anybody heard any of these and can make comparisons. Will be getting an amp. and speakers soon after. It will be used for musical live performances mainly but with some films as well.

Any help appreciated,

Rich in sunny Wolverhampton.:eek:

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´d go for the Toshiba 210, great for dvds also a pretty fine cd player for the money.

Available multiregion at Richer sounds or Le Concepts

www.leconcepts.com

Can vouch for leconcepts, excellent service. Ordered a Toshiba 900 at lunchtime and got it the next day afternoon.

Richer sounds are fine for price, providing they have stock, also bought from them in the past as well.

3. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Tosh 210 is great, but also consider the newer 220 now available.
    Go for multi-region, and go back a few days on posts to see discussions on cheapest retailers.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tosh 220 can be had for sub£180 from www.webelectricals.co.uk

For the money you're unlikely to do much better. Although at that price point most machines are going to do a good job for you.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
  7. richie97

richie97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply. Just got back from work so only picked it up a few mins. ago.

Rich

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Check the 444 thread below, started by tinkerbell, it explains almost everything on the player. Have you been to the new RS inside Courts in Wolves? whats it like? I love my 444, wouldn't look at another player unless you want prog scan or something special, might be worth looking for a 545 as it has RGB pass through if you are limited on scarts, a few other features as well. Looks gorgeous as well being so thin its so discrete.

9. richie97

richie97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't been to RS at Wolves yet. I will be going this weekend to see what it's like. Superfi in town have the 444 in stock at £189 in silver. Dealt with them before and no complaints. The Tosh 210 is still giving it a good run for my money. Also see that the Pioneer 646 is on offer at Superfi for £300 (online). That really tempts me but takes £100 off the budget I'd set aside for the amp/speekers.

Rich

10. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I can recommend the Sony DVPNS700 - great player. I bought mine a few months back and haven't had any problems with it. Very impressed with picture and sound reproduction and it supports SACD which is a bonus. If you're not bothered about the SACD and/or built in DD/DTS decoder then maybe consider the DVPNS300/DVPNS305 - both excellent players for under £200 and v. similar. There'll prob be some good deals on the 300 at the mo as the 305 is it's replacement :cool:

As for the others, the Pioneer is a nice looking little player and features are very similar - The only thing I don't really like about it is the fact that very few controls are on the actual player itself (though this may be a good thing!) and I thought the remote looked a little naff. Not got much experience of the Tosh or the Marantz but I'm sure the Marantz would be top notch if it's anything like their other kit :)

Hope this helps, Kelvin

11. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DVPNS300 and I find it to be excellent. It got great reviews in the press as well (e.g. see http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/DVDPlayers/Sony/SonyDVP-NS300.shtml). The 300 doesn't play MP3s or CD-Rs but this didn't bother me (I just wanted to play DVDs), but the 305 does. I think this player is fantastic value, especially considering how great it performs :)