Best budget DVD player

blue_harvester

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have about £70 - £80 to spend on a DVD player to go with my new Toshiba 42PW33 rear projection tv and up until today I was going to purchase the Toshiba SD-340E (multi-region) dvd player as it got brilliant reviews in What Hi-Fi. However after reading a bunch of threads on here I think I'll not bother.

I'll just be using the player to play movie discs only (R1 and R2) and not DVD-R etc. Should I go for the SD-340 or what other budget player do you guys recommend?

Thanks

You can get a multi region Pioneer 575 from Richer Sounds for £100.. Superb machine for a stunning price.

Why not audition both the Pioneer 575 and the Tosh 340e? Richer Sounds will happily sell you both on the proviso that you can take one back.

danvitale said:
You can get a multi region Pioneer 575 from Richer Sounds for £100.. Superb machine for a stunning price.
I'll 2nd that, prog scan through component is the dog's nuts... considering the price. The SACD/DVD-A capability is similarly impressive...PJ

The Yamaha S550 is a fine machine, judging from the S540. That the Toshiba 340 and Pioneer must be main contenders.

Also a 42 inch screen isn`t really big enough to show how good or bad a DVD player is!

PJTX100 said:
I'll 2nd that, prog scan through component is the dog's nuts... considering the price. The SACD/DVD-A capability is similarly impressive...PJ
I will second that, unbelievable for the price. I got one from Richer Sounds 2 weeks ago and it knocks the socks off my previous player.

From play.co.uk £100 inc postage,cyrus tuned heavy alloy front great sound als does dvd audio , i changed my pioneer575 for the limit better sound and no jaggies that i got with the pioneer 575 through my ctv.all imho though. :)

I'd second what Abnett is saying, great bargain from Play.

abnett26247 said:
From play.co.uk £100 inc postage,cyrus tuned heavy alloy front great sound als does dvd audio , i changed my pioneer575 for the limit better sound and no jaggies that i got with the pioneer 575 through my ctv.all imho though. :)

Hello abnett26247 do you have a link to this player on the play site looked cant find it must get new glasses :)

Much thanks Mugged :thumbsup:

jookster said:
The Yamaha S550 is a fine machine, judging from the S540. That the Toshiba 340 and Pioneer must be main contenders.

Also a 42 inch screen isn`t really big enough to show how good or bad a DVD player is!
A 32" screen is big enough to tell if it is good or not the errors are just more pronounced on a larger screen.........

Pio 575 gets my vote cracking machine for £99.99 or whatever RS are banging them out at MR!!! have you seen RAZE's Mega DVD player test?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179119

hornydragon said:
A 32" screen is big enough to tell if it is good or not the errors are just more pronounced on a larger screen.........

Pio 575 gets my vote cracking machine for £99.99 or whatever RS are banging them out at MR!!! have you seen RAZE's Mega DVD player test?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179119
My hitachi 36ins showed the pioneer 575 up too much, unstable picture ,others have found same problem but mostly toshiba sony and panasonic tvs ,as well as my hitachi ,reading round the forums , seems the pioneer is ok with (non ctv screens )though/ funny that !, but the limit 900se is fine superb stable picture , and as good as the pioneer picture but much better audio , but only my opinion of course. :thumbsup:

Mugged said:
Hello abnett26247 do you have a link to this player on the play site looked cant find it must get new glasses :)

Much thanks Mugged :thumbsup:

Thanyou

Mugged :thumbsup:

Mugged said:
Thanyou

Mugged :thumbsup:
type in (play.com )then look for dvd players on there site. rgrds abnett,BY THE WAY imho, the limit is one hell of a cd player that happens to be the best dvd player imho under £400. tuned by cyrus and see all the threads its superb for £100 i would pay £300 for it , tried so many this is the bargain you allways wanted trust me, but only in my opinion of course. abnett. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

"Limit" makes the Limit DVD player surprisingly enough. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom