Best Budget DVD player at the moment?.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by one_jedi, Jun 14, 2003.

1. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I think it's time for me to get a new DVD player! I've had my proline 1000 since 2000 and althougth it was a craking budget player it's starting to play up. So basically I need a new player, a cheap player!

It need to be multi-region (RCE as well!) and put out a good NTSC picture. My main concern is a realy good picture. Being able to play lot's of CD and DVD formats is good and having decoders ect is nice but to be honest I will be mainly using just to watch Region 1 and 2 movies so how good it plays movies is the most important!.

I have a 24 inch Phillips widescreen TV and it's only for a small room and I don't have a home cinema or surround sound speakers or anything.

Progressive scan would have been nice but seeing as I don't think my TV can accept progressive scan then it doesn't matter unless there is a cheap player with it on? someone said you could get a compacks dvd 5000 from safeway that haf NTSC and Pal progressive, this true?.

I'd say my budget it is £50 (players in safeway) up to £100 (new Toshiba player). So a couple of recomendation at the beginging and end of that price rnge would be great! Thanks!

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Just buy the Toshiba, everything else is falce economy. Saw 220 for <£80 and you 'might' be able to download the muti tregion hack from the net. You never know.....

3. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else know about any good players? especially at the cheaper end?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't waste your money getting a Matsui, Scan, Apex and really really cheap DVD players. Buying these el cheapo ones are just false economy.

Also checkout Pioneer DV-360

Regarding progressive, since your TV doesn't accept progressive then there's no point in getting a progressive player. It'll still be interlaced.

And as for good picture quality, cheap ones have awful MPEG decoders. I've seen a cheap DVD player via SCART RGB playing back Goldeneye and SVCD looks better!!

5. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do people mean when they say it's false economy?

If I could afford a more expensive player than I would get one but my budget might not allow it. so a cheap one might be my only option.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a £80 player and it might last 13 months. You then have to buy another one, at £80, again that might last 13 months.

Or just buy a £160 and it'll last longer that, probably 5 years or more.

Course all the above is hypoythetical and what-if's. I've seen a Apex DVD player burst into flames. And when they do work the picture quality is terrible, compatability is non-existant. Don't waste your money.

7. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, well my old budget player is nearly 3 years old and is only now starting to show a few problems reading discs. I've seen some other budget DVD player last a while as well.

What about a cheap toshiba (like the new 330) for £100 or other brand model for that price, they should be good right?

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, low-end Tosh's are fine and very good picture... I'm just talking about some really really cheap DVD players which IMO aren't worth considering, unless for the kids room. Although I would still get someone to do a safety check on the unknown brand ones. CE approval, yeah right.

oh yeah where my brother works they get low quality electrical goods from China with terrible sub standard safety regulations. They stick CE stickers on and they suddenly become good enough & safe for UK consumers. hmmm.

9. Chris Tr

Chris Tr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the Tosh 330, I've just got one (last week ) multi-region £97 including next day postage from digital-point.co.uk.

Its a great picture and sound, plus it does just about everything. I can not fault it.

Don't buy a cheaper make, its not worth it. I really do not see any
    need to buy anything more expensive than the Tosh 330 for that matter. Read the right ups it gets!

You will not be disappointed.

Cheers

Chris Tr

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Chris, this is what many of us have argued for years, either spend £100 or you jump to >£1000 for something that shows 'small' improvements. Cheap DVD players can be REALLY good.