Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best Budget Buy?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by toolman, Dec 30, 2001.

1. toolman

toolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was considering buying the Toshiba 28Z13B @ £500, but the "What Video & TV" review wasn't brilliant. Any other suggestions? How about the JVC 28WFT1 @ £460

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Home Entertainment mag voted the JVC AV32WFT1 their Nicam set of the year saying that the picture was as good as 100Hz sets but without the associated problems. I have one and am very pleased with it.

The set you mentioned is the same bar the smaller screen

3. cjtrevor

cjtrevor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where have you seen the JVC for £460 please?

4. toolman

toolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C J Trevor,

I am not sure if my reply reached you, if not then here are the details again.

The JVC is on offer @ £389.99 + VAT from Costco - Manchester store (but you have to be a member).

www.costco.co.uk (web site under construction)

I did see it slightly cheaper on another web site but the delivery charge made it too expensive.

The big bonus with Costco is a THREE YEAR money back warranty on all televisions. Its a shame that they don't offer this on VHS or DVD players. Their range of these is very poor, but might improve later in Jan.

Regards
    Colin

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Toolman!

I brought the 28n03 Tosh 28inch for about £300 pounds a year a ago.

It took me along time to choose because in the shop is was the least glamorous looking 28inch set (style wise), also other makes were doing 29inch for the same price.

In the end it came down to compatibility, the Tosh excepts all kinds of signals no problem, which is important if you gonna use 60hz.

The other set I was considering was a 29inch samsung - until I saw the teletex - the white text clearly showed convergence probs.

So what do I think of the tosh? I love it. Excellent picture and it dont look so bad now its home. The only quibbly would be its power regulation. The TV can show very strong contrast between the black and white areas, and this can cause qiute noticable blooming problems (where for instance something that is static on the screen (eg logo) will jump by 1/2 inch when a large bright area appears somewhere else on screen).

The model you are considering is higher spec and probably suffers from this problem less I would guess
    El

6. cjtrevor

cjtrevor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As my local Costco have stopped selling the JVC FT1, I am now chosing between the following at roughly similar prices:

JVC AV28FT1 (£499 from currys, tesco etc.)

Panasonic TX28PK3 (£465 from QED)

Panasonic TX28PL1 (£496 from Empire direct + £20 delivery)

As the PL1 is I think a new model and looks good I am tempted to pay the little bit extra and go for that one.

Any comments or know of anywhere I can get these cheaper?

I did see that electronics-plc.com have the JVC for £425 + delivery but it looks as if it doesn't include the stand. I have emailed them for clarification. If it does include stand I will go for that due to the price difference.

7. toolman

toolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i'm sold on the JVC from Costco. Its the 3 year warranty and low price!

Try:
    www.storeplus.co.uk

JVC AV28WFT1 @ £489.99 inc stand, VAT & Delivery

I haven't seen a review on the Panasonics

Good luck