Best "budget" AV Receiver for LG C1, 3.2 speaker setup, and PS5 (and apple tv... and...)

Pedros

Standard Member
Hello to all,

so time for some updates on my home cinema setup.

I've been running an LG 910v 55" Oled with a Sony STR-DN1070 connected to Wharfedale's 240s floor speakers, 220c center channel, and 2 10" subs.

I'm using ARC and connecting a PS5 to the 1070.

Since I'm going to replace the TV with an LG C1, the issue is that the 1070 is falling short on specs ... plus I'm having some issues with the 1070 where the front display sometimes turns on, and sometimes it doesn't, depending on how dry the ambient is.

So, I was kind of fixed on the Yamaha RX-V4A, since I won't change from the 3.2 setup. But after reading lots of troublesome posts about this receiver, now I'm confused and need some help.

I don't really seek the top of the line. I just want a solid, easy-to-use, trouble-free AV Receiver where I can connect the TV to the receiver via eARC, and the PS5, Apple TV, and my cable box ...

What is your advice on this? I don't have a specific brand in mind, so I'm open to suggestions. I'm in Europe (Portugal) so that can be an issue getting some specific models.

To be honest, if I see this is starting to be a hassle, I already thought going with a soundbar setup, but that is a major downgrade :( me not want ...

Thank you all for the attention and help!

Xstyle

Depends what's your budget?
To me, £500 to £650 is a 'budget' amp.
I'm in the same sort of position as you and saw this guide, if I can post here...

The Denon AVR-X2700H is £679 in-stock online at various outlets...
(only slightly above budget)
Has the essential HDMI 2.1 for eARC etc...

Jay53

If you are content to stay with 3.2 then you don't need a 7.2/5.1.2 capable avr.

Alternative to v4a would be the Denon avr-s660 at £499 but this will not output dolby Atmos should you ever wish to expand your speaker setup.

If you are also content to plug your devices into the LG C1 and use eARC then you don't actually need a hdmi 2.1 capable avr as eARC has been present for a while now on hdmi 2.0 devices. The limitation is that whilst eARC can pass DTS not many TVs actually passthrough DTS over eARC.

Zarf2007

I would go for this over the 2700 as more hdmi2.1 inputs for future proofing:

Jay53

I believe the LG C1 has 4 hdmi 2.1 ports. So would cover their current requirements of one hdmi 2.1 device plus eARC. Even with another 2 hdmi 2.1 devices an older non hdmi 2.1 would still suffice as they could attach the hdmi 2.0 or earlier devices to the avr freeing up TV hdmi ports.

The problem is 2nd hand prices are sky high so it might be worth just buying a new avr anyway and the x1700 is the one I have :)

Xstyle

The 1700H is cheaper too, and a year newer.
Both 1700H and 2700H have 6 HDMI inputs. 1700H has 3x for 8K / 2.1.
The 2700H has 1x for 8K / 2.1.

But 2700H has 2x HDMI out, I guess if you wanted to output to another screen, say TV and Projector.
(not being considered here, but I think its useful (for me and others) in future proofing).

Any receivers out there that have 2x HDMI out and multiple HDMI inputs for 2.1? (at a decent lower price?)

Last edited:

Pedros

Standard Member
First of all, thank you so much for all your feedback!!! :)

Depends what's your budget?
To me, £500 to £650 is a 'budget' amp.

Totally in that price range for sure :)
In Portugal, I'm having a hard time finding the Denon at "normal" prices ...

Another thing is that after reading/seeing some reviews, the reviewers don't seem very "wow'ed" with the sound quality of the Denon ... :x

On that price range, I only find the Marantz NR1711 and the Denon 1700H and 2700H ... I know Onkyo has some offers, but for some reason, I can't find them here in PT.

It's a shame Yamaha RX-V4A and V6A are so buggy :(

I believe the LG C1 has 4 hdmi 2.1 ports. So would cover their current requirements of one hdmi 2.1 device plus eARC. Even with another 2 hdmi 2.1 devices an older non hdmi 2.1 would still suffice as they could attach the hdmi 2.0 or earlier devices to the avr freeing up TV hdmi ports.

The problem is 2nd hand prices are sky high so it might be worth just buying a new avr anyway and the x1700 is the one I have :)

Jay, you are totally correct here... by being pretty objective i don't REALLY need a new AV ... i can just run everything from TV and use the HDMIs on the AV for the normal 4K 60Hz equipment. Thank you for your input ... and must admit was also on top of the table just ditching buying a new AV and using the1070.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Any receivers out there that have 2x HDMI out and multiple HDMI inputs for 2.1? (at a decent lower price?)

The only options would be the higher end Yamaha Aventage AV receivers. The A4, A6 and the A8 all have 7 inputs plus 2 mirrored outputs and a third second HDMI zone output. All their HDMI inputs and outputs are HDMI version 2.1 compliant with 40Gbps bandwidth.

These models are not cheap though and the cheapest will cost you £1,300.

It should also be noted that their advertised 4K 120Hz and 8K 60Hz HDMI version 2.1 capabilities are still not as yet activated. They are still awaiting a firmware revision to turn these features on.

The bandwidth associated with the HDMI version 2.1 inputs and the output on Yamaha's lower tier models below the A4 are all capped at 24Gbps. These models have received their update that does give them the advertised 4K 120Hz and 8K 60Hz passthrough capabilities. There's no more issue associated with using these new receivers than there is with using one of Denon's new models. They all suck as far as their software implementations are concerned. You'll experience multiple handshake issues and software bugs with both Denon and Yamaha HDMI 2.1 equipped receivers.

If relying upon eARC on an LG C1 then you should be made aware that LG no longer provide any support for DTS. This means that you cannot pass through DTS encoded audio even if using eARC.

Last edited:

Pedros

Standard Member
Weird times for AV Receivers must admit ...

I just wished that there was a way to just have a DSP and AMP, in the simplest way possible, without all this hassle...

AVs packs a lot of functionality ...

dante01

Distinguished Member
Why not just use a stereo integrated amp with an integral DAC?

If only wanting a 3.1 setup then I'd ditch the centre speaker altogether. You do not need it, not if you correctly locate and position the left and right speakers. All you'd then need to do is connect the TV's optical audio output to the S/PDIF input on such a stereo integrated amp and set the TV's digital audio output to PCM.

Why do you need DSP relative to just a 3.1 setup?

Jay53

The bandwidth associated with the HDMI version 2.1 inputs and the output on Yamaha's lower tier models below the A4 are all capped at 24Gbps. These models have received their update that does give them the advertised 4K 120Hz and 8K 60Hz passthrough capabilities. There's no more issue associated with using these new receivers than there is with using one of Denon's new models. They all suck as far as their software implementations are concerned. You'll experience multiple handshake issues and software bugs with both Denon and Yamaha HDMI 2.1 equipped receivers.

I would disagree. Given the only real incentive to need hdmi 2.1 is PC/consoles then without DSC, 24Gbs is limited to 4k/120yuv4:2:0. When directly connected Xbox/PC will give RGB and PS5 yuv4:2:2. The latter is proving more problematic as PS5 only outputs the required 4k/120yuv4:2:0 when connected to a limited range of TVs. E.g. fine for C1 but LG B9/C9 don't give any option on Ps5 when routed through these AVRs and confusingly it's down to Sony to address (like they did for some Samsung TVs) as I gather the Xbox works fine at 4k/120yuv4:2:0 routed through these avr to these TVs :(

dante01

Distinguished Member
I would disagree. Given the only real incentive to need hdmi 2.1 is PC/consoles then without DSC, 24Gbs is limited to 4k/120yuv4:2:0. When directly connected Xbox/PC will give RGB and PS5 yuv4:2:2. The latter is proving more problematic as PS5 only outputs the required 4k/120yuv4:2:0 when connected to a limited range of TVs. E.g. fine for C1 but LG B9/C9 don't give any option on Ps5 when routed through these AVRs and confusingly it's down to Sony to address (like they did for some Samsung TVs) as I gather the Xbox works fine at 4k/120yuv4:2:0 routed through these avr to these TVs :(

You'd disagree with what exactly? I've not posted anything within my post that contradicts anything you appear to think it does?

Baffled :confused:

Jay53

You'd disagree with what exactly? I've not posted anything within my post that contradicts anything you appear to think it does?

Baffled :confused:

The x1700/s660/s760 aka Denon's latest models don't have the issues I mentioned that the Yamaha v4a/v6a/a2a introduce with 24Gbs ports and allow both consoles to display content the same as if they were directly connected.

Does that clarify :)

dante01

Distinguished Member
The x1700/s660/s760 aka Denon's latest models don't have the issues I mentioned that the yahama v4a/v6a/a2a introduce and allow both consoles to display content the same as if they were directly connected.

Does that clarify :)

Again, I've not even ventured into what you are suggesting I've commented on. Does that clarify?

SilverLake

Novice Member
Hello to all,

so time for some updates on my home cinema setup.

I've been running an LG 910v 55" Oled with a Sony STR-DN1070 connected to Wharfedale's 240s floor speakers, 220c center channel, and 2 10" subs.

I'm using ARC and connecting a PS5 to the 1070.

Since I'm going to replace the TV with an LG C1, the issue is that the 1070 is falling short on specs ... plus I'm having some issues with the 1070 where the front display sometimes turns on, and sometimes it doesn't, depending on how dry the ambient is.

So, I was kind of fixed on the Yamaha RX-V4A, since I won't change from the 3.2 setup. But after reading lots of troublesome posts about this receiver, now I'm confused and need some help.

I don't really seek the top of the line. I just want a solid, easy-to-use, trouble-free AV Receiver where I can connect the TV to the receiver via eARC, and the PS5, Apple TV, and my cable box ...

What is your advice on this? I don't have a specific brand in mind, so I'm open to suggestions. I'm in Europe (Portugal) so that can be an issue getting some specific models.

To be honest, if I see this is starting to be a hassle, I already thought going with a soundbar setup, but that is a major downgrade :( me not want ...

Thank you all for the attention and help!
Funny, I'm addressing the same issue: just got an LG OLED 65C1, and now I'm looking at my Onkyo TX-SR876 and thinking maybe its time for an update (esp eARC and good CEC) - and in a couple hours I was leaning towards the Denon AVR-X1700H. Unfortunately, its unavailable (US) due to "supply chain/covid".

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom