Best Broadband without a phone line!

gamingboy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I checked out: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

I'm just a bit muddled.

I'm hoping someone can help from their own experiences.

We have BT broadband downstairs but with home use of the PC's in the house I sometimes can't get a game online as it'll lag. I was thinking about getting a connection just in the bedroom for gaming where the 360 is. Any suggestions ?

We have Sky but their broadband seems a bit flaky.

Hi

Unless you are in a cable area, you would have no alternative other than to have a second BT line installed if you wanted a second DSL line.

An alternative would be to change your router to one which has QoS (Quality of Service) functionality. This could be used to ensure your gaming has priority over the traffic from the downstairs PC. Not sure how this works in practice - it's more a theoretical suggestion.

It may be possible to install some bandwidth limiting software on the downstairs PC.

Steve

Cheers for the reply. We only have 2meg downstairs. The PC has to take priority as it's used for my brothers work. If he's working, gaming is a no, no.:(

Living in a cable area I use Telewest 4mb connection. Via a router and a switch this connection supports 2 XBLive connections and 3 PCs (all often used at the same time) with the minimum of fuss....

Do you use a router or a USB modem, we have many PC's connected to a router on a 1 Mb BTbroadband setup and the PC's running games (2) have NO problem connecting and no lag.

It's only if the PC downstairs requires all the bandwidth.

Which it sometimes does. It's not all the time but if it is the case, it's frustrating as it might be when I fancy going online.

Living in a cable area I use Telewest 4mb connection. Via a router and a switch this connection supports 2 XBLive connections and 3 PCs (all often used at the same time) with the minimum of fuss....

I'm in a telewest area. I was thinking of getting the 2mb deal, as it's half price for the first three months.

http://www.home.ntl.com/websales/service.do?id=2

I have NTL cable at home and can't fault it. Never had a problem in four years and it is lightning fast.

Your experience may vary though!

Just out of interest, what exactly is the downstairs computer being used for? I can't think of anything that should be causing you these problems.

Steve

Remote control of the computer at his workplace, so if he's pulling stuff back and forth I guess or whatever. Only fair I get my own, as i'm just sharing.

I'm in a telewest area. I was thinking of getting the 2mb deal, as it's half price for the first three months.

I've never had any problems with Telewest Broadband - I purchased in 2001 and they have done nothing but increased my speed for no extra cost (started off as 512kps and now up to 4mb). I think you get extra upload speed on the 4mb - around 384 if I'm not mistaken - which is why I think it is able to support all the internet connections - especially the 2 XBL connections. I think the 2mb connection has 256 upload speed but that would be fine for 1 XBL connection.

And for 3 months half-price I would consider it....

I was looking around the net and I just wanted some real life experiences of the providers, which I got thanks to you guys. Unless there is anything better I will go with NTL telewest . Don't need any massive broadband, 10mb seems tempting though, but i'd never use it. Just sounds better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom