• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best Broadband Provider?

TurnipFarmer

Established Member
Guys I am moving into a new flat soon and want to get broadband, any good deals out there at the moment?

I have bee looking at the orange one if you get a mobile phone contract worth £30 or more you get free broadband, anybody else used this one?
 

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
i use orange (wanadoo) with no problems, and i know quite a few people ho have it with the mobile phone again with no problems :)
 

barijohn

Established Member
Zen Internet is top provider in this months Which Magazine. It was top last time they did it as well.

However it is not the cheapest! :(
 

TurnipFarmer

Established Member
we would get sky but we will be living in a rented flat so hence thought the orange deal sounds quite good deal with the mobile phone + broadband + free weekend and evening phonecalls
 

dodgydaz

Established Member
:eek: I would have recomended talktalk until my broadband screwed up last week. I spent hours waiting on the phone, getting through to a department, only to be told I was through to the wrong team and I needed to redial a different number. So redialing again, I again had to wait nearly an hour, got through to the faults team, and then told again, I was through to the wrong team!!!! This time I was speaking to line faults and I needed broadband faults - doh!!! I finally managed to speak to someone in Bangalor, who went through the usual scripted questions - have you turned off your pc / modem, reseated cabling etc, checked firewall settings, installed new software recently etc.
After explaining that I had done all the above and much more, he then said I should turn off the modem for 24 hours and see if that cured it.:eek:
Now I am a network engineer and I had already deduced that the problem was not with any of my kit and was to do with the something at the BT exchange. I explained why I thought this the case - I used simple software to check the link which was basically "flapping". But he would not have it and again said I should turn off the modem for a day. This was last Saturday. On Sunday, I tried it again and surprise, surprise, it did not work. I then went through the same rigmorol again and finally spoke to yet another Indian adviser. I gave him my details and I said that my problem would have been on my records, but he said that there were no records of the problems I had or the previous phone call. So I had to explain everything again, and go through the same questions. After 10-15 minutes of this, his conclusion was that the modem was faulty! B****ks, I said, getting very irate now. I had already swapped the modem with a known working one...
I then explained that the connection was dropping every 45 seconds or so and that this was indicative of the connection, and had nothing whatsoever to do with my pc / router / modem / cabling or anything else in my house.
Finally after another 5 minutes, and the adviser putting me on hold, he came back and said "Can you turn your modem off for a few hours" - :eek: Ahhhhhhhhhh

Sorry to go on, but until I had to speak to a talk talk representative, I didnt have any problems with them. Now, I will warn everyone not to go to them at all.
My broadband connection was broken all week. I tried it this morning, and it worked!! BT probably got an engineer out to the exchange and fixed the fault.
I dread the next time I have a problem, and will be looking elsewhere as soon as the contract is up.
 

Eye2007

Banned
Talk Talk.

You have to wait in a line but once you are up and running, you get free broadband at 2.2 and you only pay something like 23 pounds or something to have unlimited calls including europe.

Talk Talk.

However Sky are doing Broadband and it is five pounds for unlimited calls.
 
D

Dr Diversity

Guest
Plus.net do it for me. £15 a month unlimited, speeds vary between 5.5 and 7.3. Never give me any problems either. Excellent helpdesk at local rate or by email
 

bluevortex

Established Member
dodgydaz said:
:eek: I would have recomended talktalk until my broadband screwed up last week. I spent hours waiting on the phone, getting through to a department, only to be told I was through to the wrong team and I needed to redial a different number. So redialing again, I again had to wait nearly an hour, got through to the faults team, and then told again, I was through to the wrong team!!!! This time I was speaking to line faults and I needed broadband faults - doh!!! I finally managed to speak to someone in Bangalor, who went through the usual scripted questions - have you turned off your pc / modem, reseated cabling etc, checked firewall settings, installed new software recently etc.
After explaining that I had done all the above and much more, he then said I should turn off the modem for 24 hours and see if that cured it.:eek:
Now I am a network engineer and I had already deduced that the problem was not with any of my kit and was to do with the something at the BT exchange. I explained why I thought this the case - I used simple software to check the link which was basically "flapping". But he would not have it and again said I should turn off the modem for a day. This was last Saturday. On Sunday, I tried it again and surprise, surprise, it did not work. I then went through the same rigmorol again and finally spoke to yet another Indian adviser. I gave him my details and I said that my problem would have been on my records, but he said that there were no records of the problems I had or the previous phone call. So I had to explain everything again, and go through the same questions. After 10-15 minutes of this, his conclusion was that the modem was faulty! B****ks, I said, getting very irate now. I had already swapped the modem with a known working one...
I then explained that the connection was dropping every 45 seconds or so and that this was indicative of the connection, and had nothing whatsoever to do with my pc / router / modem / cabling or anything else in my house.
Finally after another 5 minutes, and the adviser putting me on hold, he came back and said "Can you turn your modem off for a few hours" - :eek: Ahhhhhhhhhh

Sorry to go on, but until I had to speak to a talk talk representative, I didnt have any problems with them. Now, I will warn everyone not to go to them at all.
My broadband connection was broken all week. I tried it this morning, and it worked!! BT probably got an engineer out to the exchange and fixed the fault.
I dread the next time I have a problem, and will be looking elsewhere as soon as the contract is up.

In many ways im glad you have posted that here. I nearly got into an 18 month contract with them until i did a google on user comments (mainly adslguide.org) and it was enough to put me off. When i tried to call them to cancel the package in the 10 day period before it had been switched over i got nothing but hassle. Very similar to what you got. Extremely long waiting times, and getting through to wrong department. Very frustrating. When i did speak to cancellations he told me it was to late to cancel :mad: (3 days into the initial 10 day grace period) What followed was a rather brutal argument and he hung up on me. In the end they would not cancel. I rang BT and they filed some sort of complaint procedure and basically blocked the migration from going ahead. A lucky escape. There customer service is appauling. 3 weeks on from all this i got the Talk Talk welcome package. What a joke

Im now with Eclipse internet. Nothing but helpful so far and a monthly contract. I will be keeping my eye on this sky BB offer though.
 

OldAndSenile

Established Member
Dr Diversity said:
Plus.net do it for me. £15 a month unlimited, speeds vary between 5.5 and 7.3. Never give me any problems either. Excellent helpdesk at local rate or by email

I used to be with Metronet until Plusnnet took them over and completely destroyed my internet connection with traffic shaping and throttling. There are a very large number of people on the web very unhappy with plusnet at the moment..

I'm with Zen now, and I've not had a single problem.. But then again, you never really find out how good a service provider really is until you have a problem and need someone to fix it for you!
 

Mep

Prominent Member
I would have said that too, before I moved house......same phone number, same exchange, previous people had broadband.......3 1/2 weeks later BT still haven't got it working!! absolutely dreadful organisation when you get a problem.......all of their customer service numbers and web contact details are nothing but a web of obstructions to stop you talking to anybody that might actually be able to help.
 

Nick_UK

Banned
Pipex are wonderful, unless you have to phone them about anything.
 

Singh400

Distinguished Member
mep said:
I would have said that too, before I moved house......same phone number, same exchange, previous people had broadband.......3 1/2 weeks later BT still haven't got it working!! absolutely dreadful organisation when you get a problem.......all of their customer service numbers and web contact details are nothing but a web of obstructions to stop you talking to anybody that might actually be able to help.
Don't know which number you rang, but we've moved house twice this year and each time, it took less than a week to transfer everything over. And this is without prior notice.

The broadband will take slighty longer, because of all the wires they have to swap about.
 

Mep

Prominent Member
I phoned every number I can find, tech help, broadband support, billing, cancellations, all useless.............our phone is working but no broadband, which I know takes a bit longer.....but it's nearly 4 weeks now
 

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom