1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Broadband connection & Modem

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by videonasty, Nov 2, 2004.

1. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I don't know if I'm posting in the right section but, I'm looking for a good Broadband provider & I've come across Virgin for £17.99 a month. The Modem costs £19.99, but looks a little shabby, what I want to know is what is a good quality modem to buy, so I can use it with Virgin on a Mac?

2. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want a better quality, more reliable broadband connection - ditch the modem and use a router. The router is a little box that maintains the bb connection and is not dependent on the computer unlike a modem. Costs a bit more than a modem and a little more complex to set up, but not difficult. Also with a router, especially a wireless router, it is easy to network several machines together and share the internet connection. Typically you can get a decent router for anywhere between £50-£100 although I think good wireless routers are a bit more expensive.

Cheers,
    Mat

3. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for broadband providers, be wary of using the large broadband suppliers like AOL, BT, Virgin, etc. Some provide good broadband services, however as they're so big their customer support tends to be really bad and if you have a problem with your connection you could find yourself wishing you'd used someone else.

Look on ADSLguide.org which is an independent website evaluating the performance of all the major broadband ISP's. medium-sized ISPs such as Nildram, Pipex, Zen Internet etc. tend to perform extremely well, although they do tend to cost slightly more.

Cheers,
    Mat.

4. booyaka

booyaka
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,023
    On the above note - has anyone used or using Tesco Broadband - £19.97 a month with no connection fee or contract?

Would be interested in know how reliable and fast it is? :)

5. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    A friend has recently ordered the new Demon Broadband home 500 package. £19.99 a month. It was switched on ahead of its activation date, they posted an excellent and comprehensive starter pack, it's not capped and a free modem too.
    http://www.demon.net/adsl/expresspackages/home500-home.html

No I don't work for Demon but this is fine deal for ADSL. I've got Eclipse meself, have had for over two years and it's been faultless