Question Best branch of John Lewis for OLED demos?

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by AlanX, Jul 13, 2018.

1. AlanX

AlanX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Any advice out there on the best branch of John Lewis to see OLEDs working on the floor? My nearest is John Lewis 'Home' at Chichester. Is it worth travelling further afield?

2. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,915
    Its a tough one to be frank. I am sure the Sony or the Panasonic OLEDs will immediately catch your attention based on my experience.

3. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    The shop mode that is generally used to demo TVs does not make for a good comparison. I really would recommend going to a proper AV store for a better comparison.

Also do your homework on what you are going to be watching. If Dolby Vision is important to you, that rules out Panasonic and Sony are somewhat hamstrung in their support. Also consider the OS, you are likely to be in and out of that a lot if using the smart TV functions. If you only intend to use the TV as a monitor, it's not such a concern.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,401
    Honestly this day and age you are better off buying blind online and getting whichever featureset and price looks the best on paper. They all have the same panels and perform very similar and you can't get a good comparison in a shop because of lighting/shop modes and lack of proper demo rooms.

As alluded to above the only chance you will have at a decent comparison is a dark room demo at a dedicated AV store and even then you probably can't make a side-by-side comparison.

If you buy online and aren't happy if you did buy from a reputable retailer you would have no issues requesting to return it, aside from the effort of arranging collection and possibly paying a restocking fee.

5. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,452
    Here’s my problem with John Lewis...

Birmingham: lots of OLED’s on display, but precious few staff members to ask questions. Plus, few TV’s are ‘plumbed in’ to the broadcast network. Only 4K loops available to watch. That is, you can’t judge the performance on real-world broadcast transmissions.

Solihull: the better choice. Lots of OLED’s on display. All of them are properly set up with broadcast transmission feeds. Plenty of staff to talk too. Plus, at weekends, several manufacturers’ reps are at hand.

So, beware that not all John Lewis branches are equal in their ability to properly sell/demonstrate their merchandise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,401
    Also beware of the sales reps who don't work for JL but for the respected TV manufacturer. I have heard some horrible stories and plain lies from people who have received advice in the store from one of those. So much for independent advice :(

7. Kend3591

Kend3591

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have had a good experience with JL in Southampton also helps that there is a richer sounds at the top end of town. RS have a demo room and will put an OLED in for you with prior notice.

8. P Adams

P Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Same here. Southampton West Quay John Lewis and Richer Sounds in Southampton have always been good for demos for me. Went in to John Lewis a couple of weeks ago and had a good half an hour with a Panasonic rep and the FZ65

9. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    As some have mentioned before not all JL are helpful or there can be sales reps on hand from each manufacturer telling you each of their brand tv's is better than the other..
    If you have a RS near you that is your best bet in my opinion.. they are not biased and are into tech themselves .. I rang up for demos for oleds and they let me try my own blurays in the demo room with the Panasonic ez952 and Sony A1 to try picture settings etc turn lights off/on.. nothing is too much trouble for these guys why always buy from them..

10. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Yeah had horrible experience in JL in Liverpool. 4 or 5 sales reps were gathered around one of the new Sony OLEDS cooing about it. I said it was nice but wasn’t worth the price tag in my opinion. The Reps started arguing with me and got quite rude in the end with 2 or 3 others continually chiming into the conversation. I walked out feeling quite angry. That JL won’t get my business again.

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,401
    Wow that is terrible! Arguing with a customer :confused:. John Lewis have a good reputation and I feel they are tarnishing it with the introduction of sales reps. Curry's are no different. Some of the bespoke AV stores deserve credit for not selling out to the sale sharks.

12. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    Depends what your looking for. Picture wise they are all very good and viewing in JL a waste of your time.

As others have said Richer Sounds is a better bet.

The Sony is said to look good and be great for sport, but the user interface is bad. Panasonic best picture setup out of the box. LG best user interface and bang for you buck.
    Good luck

13. AlanX

AlanX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Thanks for all your advice, guys. I appreciate the downsides of the big stores (showroom mode, no choice of content, you only see what they have on the floor, reps piling on the pressure). I have only ever bought blind from JL (after reading the AVF reviews of course), and have never had a problem. I also buy from RS in Brighton, and their support and service are exemplary. But they only have a small viewing room, so essentially one 65-inch TV at a time, which makes comparison difficult. A lot better than nothing, and certainly better than a dozen TVs in showroom mode under fluorescent lights!
    However, I think I shall limit my 'showrooming' to just looking at the build quality, stand stability, cabling options, VESA mounts, etc (also a chance to convince my wife that we need an upgrade!). For just that, a large branch of Currys is as good as any. Then buy on a deal, wherever, and rely on being able to return it if it's not right in my own environment.

14. AlanX

AlanX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I must admit my 'policy' is to buy from either RS or JL. I would seek out a deal, then invite either or both of them to match it. After-sales service is as important to me as the price, when I'm spending this sort of money.

15. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339

I bought from RS as they took the time to go through everything with me and let me mess about with the pic settings etc and customer service and after care is excellent .. so said to them I would buy from them for this reason also as I'm always in there..regardless even if they were a bit more.. as it happens they dropped price further so had to give the guy a drink who took the time to sort everything out for me... end if the day everyone was happy...

16. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,000
    Yes! I would ALWAYS Buy from a store if I'm spending that kind of money.. It's worth the little extra for the time that decent sales people put into looking after a customer.. I worked in retail for over 20 year's.... What I would find frustrating is when customers would drain you for information after you had spent over half an hour with them giving them the best possible experience for them to then ask if you "priced matched" or got the dreaded piece of paper out that was a print off from Amazon ect... The days of commission are long gone, sales staff don't get that anymore... Because of the lower margins and profit on higher ticket items... I used to get a percentage of sales that I achieved along with 10% on any accessories.. That all got taken aways from us in 2011...and most months my basic pay had to be topped up to meet the minimum wage! The end result? We were all made redundant in 2013! People can get so aggressive sometimes, they want the best, but don't think ahead of any problems or help that they might need in the future... All they see is a price!

17. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    dts.. couldn't agree more.. I think if someone has knowledge and are spending time on you its good to buy from them as they are giving you expert opinion etc.
    As said if I like the people in store I'll buy regardless if it's a bit more expensive rather than get from someone who just isn't interested in what I'm really after just cos I can have it cheap...I always try to do a good turn if someone helps you out not only do you feel happier but you're more likely to keep going back as have good relations with them.. but unfortunately alot of people dont care as long as they save a few quid but belly ache that places are closing down that happens when people keep wanting Rolls Royce for mini money..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  18. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Great that we all still support the bricks and mortar stores - as you say, always sad to see someone take advantage of instore expertise to then spend it online.

Even though they’re obviously biased, it’s always interesting talking to reps about what they’d buy with their money, also getting them to demo the product instead of sell them. Testament to the manufacturers and their reps how well trained and knowledgeable the normal staff are.

19. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339

I do prefer the stores such as RS Sevenoaks etc.. tbh though some reps are ok one Panasonic guy in particular was good as pointed out the strong points on the other sets which is good as how they should be to weigh things up.. but not all people know what they're talking about as yrs ago I was in the tv section and looking at a Sony led in a JL branch as I was waiting for the mrs and young guy pounced on me .. I said all I'm interested in is pq ..the guy didn't want to show any material but the usb playing and trying to tell me it was the best cos it's new blah blah then twisted his arm to put it into something other than dynamic.. he thought I was going to be interested until I said "I still have a kuro at home" at which point his collegue pulled him away and started shaking his head lol.. I find independent stores generally get a feel for what your after aren't biased and will go through what the tv can do and put your mind at rest by saying any problems just come back.. with my local RS over the yrs knowing what I like ..a cinematic picture ..told me to keep the pioneer until recently when the ez952 came in and said I need to look at that... it took a bit of time but ended up finally getting the money and buying it:clap:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  20. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,401
    Never trust a salesman and certainly don't trust them if they have a manufacturer badge on. Most advice given out by the more bespoke AV retailers such as sevenoaks and richer is good but they are also prone occasionally to give some "incorrect" advice simply trying to clear out certain stock over others.

A good example of this was richer trying to flog the abundance of mid range Sony TVs compared to better options available at the same price.

21. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339

Not long ago I stopped in Currys not far from a flat we were renovating in North London.
    There was a Samsung rep with a badge dragging some poor guy round the store telling him this screen for this room that screen that room look at the bezel and design bigger screen etc.. telling him to avoid any oled or other brand (All Samsung of course). he was reeled into it without even looking at the settings or pq... Hate to think how much got rinsed from his wallet..
    I almost said something as saw he was taken advantage of but the reps claws were firmly stuck in..

22. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yeah, and most people probably end up spending at least 50% more than they need to along with the customary £100 HDMI cable.

23. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    What the monster one..??:rolleyes:

24. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,401
    monster performance with a monster price. Named after the salesman who flog em.

25. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    My own experience is different and perhaps unique. 20 months ago I was in the market for an OLED TV and had looked at the LG B6 in JL as that was the only one available. Panasonic and Sony were yet to deliver OLED. The B6 looked great but as others have said the store is not the ideal place to judge a picture.

Back then we had a very clever chap on these pages - ******** - who had a Loewe Bild 7 OLED at his home and was working with Loewe UK as a beta tester. He is also a professional TV calibrator. He invited me to his humble abode in Nth Manchester to view the Loewe. I was initially hesitant because of the cost of the TV - around £4.5K.

But I gave it some thought and decided I had nothing to lose and the viewing conditions would be ideal as he had calibrated the TV and there would be plenty of content including a DVD I took myself to judge upscaling.

The demo took 2-3 hours and I will be eternally grateful to him for his generosity. I was blown away with the PQ and often mistook upscaled BD for UHD. My own DVD was also very watchable - tremendous when you consider how much processing is going on to turn a postage stamp image into one that will fill a 55" TV.

I bought from Loewe Manchester without even walking into the store. I did negotiate a deal that included a calibration by ******** and 20 months on I remain extremely impressed with my purchase.

I know it's a lot of money but it's guaranteed quality. Something that was a bit hit and miss with earlier LG models with many here swapping them for perceived picture problems.

******** has calibrated the Loewe TVs in Harrods, London so for anyone who can make it there you should enjoy the experience. I'm sure Harrods will be open to negotiation within reason.

26. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Remember seeing some older loewe tv's and very good build quality processing you're very lucky to have been able to have seen a tv under them conditions.. I haven't seen their oled though ... It use to be same when it was the pioneer kuro era.. I bought mine friends family said they never pay that as was 2-3 times price for similar sized screens.. then they saw the quality of the films tv anything... to this day 10 yrs later it still sits in my family room and still people comment.. However for movies I enjoy my panasonic oled in the den now as it has bettered the kuro.. to me the pioneer tv was worth it's cost and was also one of them cases you get what you pay for...I could only imagine how happy anyone would be seeing an oled tweaked by a pro.. think I'll get mine done now..

27. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    My old man had a saying that has stuck with me through several decades... Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

I appreciate not everyone can buy the best but if you buy the best you can afford you'll generally get good service from it.

I previously owned a Panasonic PH9 pro panel and the PQ was superb. But OLED give you blacks even the best plasmas would struggle to produce. Calibration will give you the best your TV is capable of.

28. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    That's a great saying... I do think my oled is great and went for it purely on pic quality as it was so plasma like but better.. my old krp500 from my den was close with the blacks albeit a bit of tweaking but the oled is so clean and sharp... yes I know screens can be alot and as my dad reminds me is all I do is work too hard ,pay bills, make sure house, family, ok so save up and buy for yourself once in a blue moon.. So I did ...but the whole cinema thing is costly and addictive... but I think if any branches could get their screens on display calibrated I'm sure they would fly off of the shelves.. but they wang to save and make money...they're purely on dynamic so bright and false.and alot of people want cheap too ( 1 of the reason I think plasma got killed off) and too many people out on shop floors in big stores that try sell to public even when not in their best interests..

29. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    It's important that people do some research before they walk into a shop ready to buy. I am a research-addict but I don't regret any of my purchases. I don't research kettles as much as OLED TVs but being a subscriber to Which? does help sort the wheat from the chaff. :)

If you work hard and have few vices (drink, gambling, smoking etc.) then spend the money on what you fancy. You seem to have the right priorities. :thumbsup:

I've come across Panasonic reps in JL and they did a good job trying to convince me their 59" LCD TV was the dog's whatsits but having done my research nothing would move me from OLED. So pleased I stuck to my guns.

30. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Eh..?? Trying to make sale but risk someone coming back very unhappy.. not a good move.. especially for movies... don't think I could go to led from oled ... it's only recently I left plasma and only the newest led can come close to my 10 yr old kuro.