Best Boxing Match ever?

MedMick

Established Member
Reaction score
Showing my age now, but i have enjoyed so many fights over the years
Mcguigan vs Pedroza
Honeygan vs Curry
Benn vs McClelland(cant vote for this due sad ending, but still a great fight)
Tysons early years!
Duran/Leonard/Hearns/Hagler
Corrales vs Castillo (first fight)

But for me, Barrera vs Morrales (first fight) had everything. Especially as i only watched it as i think it was on Nasim Hammed's undercard!! on his first fight in the US. Lloyd Honeygan gets my second vote, due to the fact that Don Curry was "best pound for pound fighter" at the time, and it was in the US, one of the best boxing displays i have seen at championship level. Please add your favourite fights, it might even jog some of my grey matter.

Hagler v Hearns - 2 blokes going for it from the very 1st bell. Still gutted to this day that Hagler didn't knock Leonard's cocky little head off in one of their fights.

Much like Benn V McLellan, it wouldn't really be on to vote for the 2nd Eubank v Watson fight, given the tragic outcome, but it was a classic fight, with Eubank getting up off the floor to win.

Hagler v Hearns - 2 blokes going for it from the very 1st bell. Still gutted to this day that Hagler didn't knock Leonard's cocky little head off in one of their fights.

Much like Benn V McLellan, it wouldn't really be on to vote for the 2nd Eubank v Watson fight, given the tragic outcome, but it was a classic fight, with Eubank getting up off the floor to win.
Two for me. Ali vs Foreman, the rumble in the jungle. Yes, it's been hyped to death, but no-one was giving Ali a prayer that day, and yet he out-boxed Foreman in the end.

The other is Hagler - Hearns. What a fight! Hearns was killing Hagler in the early rounds, and then, that mistake that others also made - to their cost. He taunts Hagler at the bell for the end of the round, and from then on there's only going to be one winner! What a contest, what a show, what a finish!

Hagler v Hearns :cool:

As per Overkill's post, WHAT a turnaround! :thumbsup:

Has to be Benn v McClelland for me,yes the ending was upsetting but the fight alone was a display of passion brutality and unbelievable heart displayed by both fighters to the end.I have been trying to find this on DVD for some time with no joy.

I remember watching a Glenn McCrory fight(not sure who against) some years back where he was getting battered but the guy just kept coming forward,he never accepted defeat and again shown a massive heart.I really felt for him and he went a few notches in my estimation despite being beaten.

barerra vs morales
barerra vs marquez
ward vs gatti

Benn vs McClelland.for me.

Favourite Hagler vs Minter after the infamous 'Black man wont take my title' remark.

Minter needed plastic surgery after the fight!. And the fans disgraced themselves but it sent Hagler on the path to greatness

Best ever Ali vs Foreman rumble in the jungle

Favourite Hagler vs Minter after the infamous 'Black man wont take my title' remark.

Minter needed plastic surgery after the fight!. And the fans disgraced themselves but it sent Hagler on the path to greatness

Best ever Ali vs Foreman rumble in the jungle

I remember the Hagler v Minter fight and the ensuring chaos of chairs coming on to the ring. I didn't know until now that there was a 'black man wont take my title' remark.

Anyway, I do remember Minter taking an awful pounding that night!!

I don't watch boxing any more - cos it is only a patch on what it used to be. Too many great fights involving Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, Hagler, Roberto Duran, Nelson (someone's in trouble!!), Benn, Eubank, Tyson to watch the cr@p now.

Hagler Hearns was a superb fight. If I remember rightly, didnt Hagler get cut in the first? He then came out like a man on a mission. Was it stopped in the 3rd?
Hagler Leonard, I still argue imo that Hagler won!

Pryor V Argello
Bowe V Holyfield, I& II
Ali V Frazier (III)
Duran V Leonard I
Leonard V Hagler
Hagler V Hearns
Honeygan V Curry
Chavez V De La Hoya

Barrera V Marquez
Barrera V Morales I & II
Morales V Paquio I & II

I have to add some old British tear ups that we see far few off nowadys as fighters from Britain seem to rather get a cereal packet world title then the Lonsdale belt (WBU title for Amir Khan anyone?).

Sibson V Minter
Mason V Lewis
Bruno V Lewis
Bruno V Bugnor
Marsh V MacKenzie
Laing V Jones
Benn V Eubank
Benn V Watson
Kaylor V Errol Christie.

Jamie Moore has had a couple of good tear ups recently against Matthew Macklin and his second fight against Michael Jones and won the Lonsdale Belt!

MedMick said:
Jamie Moore has had a couple of good tear ups recently against Matthew Macklin and his second fight against Michael Jones and won the Lonsdale Belt!

Agreed he's really shown his class in his last few fights.He lives round the corner from me,seems a decent fella too.

Of course, there are some decent boxers like Moore who value the British title, rather than some throw away 'world title'.

I've seen most of them since early seventies....
Duran/Leonard/Hearns/Hagler matches were the best for me. Leonard-Hagler if I have to choose one!

rocky balboa vs ivan drago lolz only messing

Oscar delahoya vs Chavez
Castillo vs Corrales 1
Benn vs Mclellen for sure one of the best
Calzaghe vs Jeff Lacy *For ppl who thought calzaghe couldnt fight*
Cotto vs Kelson Pinto
Oscar de la hoya vs vargas

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom