Best Blu-ray player up to £700

It really depends what features you are looking for and what you want to play on it. If you list those things and also what equipment you will be using it with, it'll be easier for people to advise you on something relevant to your needs.

I would look at the Sony BDP-S760 for just picture, of even a used BDP-S5000ES if you also want analogue CD\multichannel and tank liek construction.

Both are just awesome in picture quality.

decide what you want from a player, if it i to play Blu ray films at 1080p and bitstreaming audio all on HDMI then your budget is ott. It is really all down to what you expect a player to do. If you want a better Blu ray picture than a PS3 then this is going to lead to dissappointment.

Thanks for the replays,

It is to play films at 1080p via HDMI to a Denon 1910amp and Kef Q500 fronts and Q200 centre. Im looking for the best sound then picture but it does need to be better than the PS3 to make it worthwhile changing.

Im looking for the best sound then picture but it does need to be better than the PS3 to make it worthwhile changing.

Can you clarify what you mean by better ?

It's possible to create differences but these may not be technically "better" just different to differentiate a product. The other components in your setup and the playback environment itself also make a difference.

Avi

If you want a better Blu ray picture than a PS3 then this is going to lead to dissappointment.

Not neccessarily. The PS3 does not offer picture adjustement controls that some dedicated players have. The BDP-S760 and 5000ES even has gamma adjustment that overcomes shortfalls in displays. All in all, including the picture 'processing' options of the Sony's, the picture obtainable from these players is way better than a PS3 could muster on the same display.

Keep the PS3 and put the £700 towards upgrading the amp/speakers?

Im looking for a Blu-ray player to replace the PS3 whats the best player about? i have a budget of about £700.00

The 760 and 5000ES have been mentioned, try to demo these and see if you need to spend £700 just to upgrade in this one area?

The Cambridge Audio 650 has good reviews and is especially good with music too if that is a requirement...

Keep the PS3 and put the £700 towards upgrading the amp/speakers?
I'd go with that. Changing the Denon 1910 for a Denon 2310/2311 or even a Denon 3310/3311, if the budget allows, should give more of an improvement to the sound than spending so much on a player.

Not neccessarily. The PS3 does not offer picture adjustement controls that some dedicated players have. The BDP-S760 and 5000ES even has gamma adjustment that overcomes shortfalls in displays. All in all, including the picture 'processing' options of the Sony's, the picture obtainable from these players is way better than a PS3 could muster on the same display.

I disagree but this is from my testing of the PS3 and the 760 next to each other again atm. Sure 760 has processing but I don't think that makes it better, it just makes it different which is why I was very careful in exactly what I wrote earlier for very good reason.

I disagree but this is from my testing of the PS3 and the 760 next to each other again atm. Sure 760 has processing but I don't think that makes it better, it just makes it different which is why I was very careful in exactly what I wrote earlier for very good reason.

The point wasn't the processing (although it does have an effect). The point was the picture adjustments. I have had all three players. The PS3 has no adjustmenty for colour, brightness, contrast, and especially gamma. These things, especially the latter help you achieve a more accurate picture depending on your display. Sometimes displays have these options, but are not adjustable in the same increments.

If all you want is a video output device then sure, the PS3 will do you. If you want the option of adjusting the image to suit your display, and\or you want super bit mapping, smoothing or other processing that has an effect, then a PS3 gets left in the dust.

But aren't we talking about players ability here rather than trying to counteract mythical issues with unknown displays we know nothing about here? I calibrate my display for the whole chain not the other way around. The only reason I can see it worthwhile for controls in the player is for 'preference' reasons rather than reference ones. Probably why so few player have these controls at any level, which is why I say it is different and not necessarily better.

These things, especially the latter help you achieve a more accurate picture depending on your display. Sometimes displays have these options, but are not adjustable in the same increments.

How goes the gamma setting on these player operate ?

Avi

But aren't we talking about players ability here rather than trying to counteract mythical issues with unknown displays we know nothing about here? I calibrate my display for the whole chain not the other way around. The only reason I can see it worthwhile for controls in the player is for 'preference' reasons rather than reference ones. Probably why so few player have these controls at any level, which is why I say it is different and not necessarily better.

The OP requested info on 'which' players within a price bracket. The second post spoke of 'features', and the 'needs' of the OP. Thus my comments in my second post mentioned 'features' that may relate to a potential 'need'.

As for most players not having these controls, note that it's usually the higher end ones (higher priced?) that give you such control. They are extra features, for people who may need them. They may need them if they want to calibrate the picture output. Why?, because the display may be fed only one input (say from a av reciever), in which case adjusting the image at source allows you to have multiple sources all calibrated.

I have my Virgin HD, and Blu ray. In the days I had a receiver doing the switching I was able to set the projector to it best using a pattern generator. Then I found I could further tweak the blu-ray to get even better calibration because the projector controls were not detailed enough. I set Gamma to 2.2, and got better contrast by adjusting the source. Without this control I had no option but to use the basic a,b,c gamma setting in the projector which does not take into account lamp age.

So Like I said. if all you need is a video output the the PS3 may be adequate. But for extra features that effect the picture, or for more control on the calibration so that it looks how it should on YOUR setup, a good dedicated player is the way to go. the 760 and 5000 are such players.

Why suggest Sony?, because Denon and many others can't even get a £4k player to play all blu-ray discs. What hope do they have with models lower down.

How goes the gamma setting on these player operate ?

Avi

If I recall correctly, on the Sony there is a 5 step slider control that adjusts (lighten or darkens) specific parts of the video range.

Thus for example, you can set you display to produce good black, then adjust the slider to make shadow detail more clear.

If you are really handy and have a colourimeter you can use HCFR and get it bang on for all ranges.

If I recall correctly, on the Sony there is a 5 step slider control that adjusts (lighten or darkens) specific parts of the video range.

Thus for example, you can set you display to produce good black, then adjust the slider to make shadow detail more clear.

If you are really handy and have a colourimeter you can use HCFR and get it bang on for all ranges.

Sometimes there can be interaction between luminance and grayscale i.e. changing one affects the other. I guess a potential downside is unless you have access to grayscale and luminance controls to balance both this may be an issue.

What do you mean by "bang on for all the ranges" ?

Avi

Sometimes there can be interaction between luminance and grayscale i.e. changing one affects the other. I guess a potential downside is unless you have access to grayscale and luminance controls to balance both this may be an issue.

What do you mean by "bang on for all the ranges" ?

Avi

Yeah I agree. I wanted even more control and so bought a Lumagen and no longer use the player. But whilst I did, it was able to help me have a more accurate picture. The Lumagen helps me go even further.

By "bang on" I meant for all the IRE's when measuring greyscale. I suppose I was exaggerating a little;). My Lumagen makes things bang on it terms of colour temp, and gamma etc. The players controls however are still very useful to help bring things like Gamma under control for mere mortals. :smashin:

Yeah I agree. I wanted even more control and so bought a Lumagen and no longer use the player. But whilst I did, it was able to help me have a more accurate picture. The Lumagen helps me go even further.

By "bang on" I meant for all the IRE's when measuring greyscale. I suppose I was exaggerating a little;). My Lumagen makes things bang on it terms of colour temp, and gamma etc. The players controls however are still very useful to help bring things like Gamma under control for mere mortals. :smashin:

I'd suggest something like the Lumagen provides a better solution if you need to add greater calibration control rather than more limited player based options.

The old Lumagen HDx range can be picked up for peanuts these days but are still useful tool. I guess a mere mortals that wanted to correct gamma would also probably want accurate grayscale. :smashin:

Avi

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom