Best Blu-Ray player for upscaling SD DVD & audio conversion?

kieran123

Standard Member
Reaction score
My first Blu-Ray player was the 60GB PS3, which I returned because of excessive heat. I found the PQ on newer upscaled DVD’S (test DVD Transformers) was amazing, and honestly, as good as some of the lesser Blu-Rays. I replaced the PS3 with the Samsung BDP-1400. I felt the BDP1400’s performance with upscaled DVD’s was noticeably worst than the PS3, which is why I then purchase the 40GB PS3.

The PS3 is very good at upscaling more recent DVD content, but not with some older films and TV shows. While I understand that an upscaler (no matter how good) will not make up for the faults in a poorly mastered disk, I do want to get the best possible image from my DVD collection. To this end I am looking at purchasing another Blu-Ray player.

I feel most reviews don’t focus on the PQ of upscaled DVD’s when reviewing a player, and so I’ve had to take a trial and error approach when buying, that sees my wallet taking a hit. I was hoping someone could recommend a BD Player that offers the best PQ for upscaled DVD’s on a budget of £500.00.

In another topic I read that the PQ FOR DVD’s on the LG BH 200 is pretty good, and is also converts True HD and PCM to a high bitrate DTS sound track over HDMI. Are there any other BD players offering a similar function with audio?

Last edited:
I feel most reviews don’t focus on the PQ of upscaled DVD’s when reviewing a player, and so I’ve had to take a trial and error approach when buying, that sees my wallet taking a hit. I was hoping someone could recommend a BD Player that offers the best PQ for upscaled DVD’s on a budget of £500.00.

In another topic I read that the PQ FOR DVD’s on the LG BH 200 is pretty good, and is also converts True HD and PCM to a high bitrate DTS sound track over HDMI. Are there any other BD players offering a similar function with audio?

Hi mate. :)
The Pioneer BDP-LX71 "should" have good scaling of DVD :smashin: price about £550.
Do you mean decodes TrueHD and sends over HDMI? :) as all BD players do this.
All the best.

Hi mate. :)
The Pioneer BDP-LX71 "should" have good scaling of DVD :smashin: price about £550.
Do you mean decodes TrueHD and sends over HDMI? :) as all BD players do this.
All the best.

No, sadly my amp will only accept 2 channel PCM, so I’m looking for a player that could convert a PCM or True HD track into a high bitrate Dolby or DTS 5.1 soundtrack for output over the HDMI.

Thanks.

No, sadly my amp will only accept 2 channel PCM, so I'm looking for a player that could convert a PCM or True HD track into a high bitrate Dolby or DTS 5.1 soundtrack for output over the HDMI.

Thanks.

Hi kieran123. :)
2ch PCM will be stereo :smashin: what make model amp do you have?
All BD players can send TrueHD @ max DD and DTS-MA (core track) @ max DTS :smashin: to an amp with just DD/DTS decoders.
The Samsung 1500 is the only BD player to re-encode "all" HD soundtracks to max DTS bitstream :cool: which can be sent over optical/HDMI.
HDMI 1.1 is all you need to enjoy all the HD soundtracks fully decoded and sent via HDMI,BD50 and the PS3 at the moment.
All the best.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom