Best Blu Ray player for SD DVDs?

Skip67

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently ordered a Samsung LE55B651T 55" LCD that was on clearance in Currys (£1,198 :clap: ) and am now in the market for a decent Blu Ray player.

Cost isn't too much of an issue within reason, but I WAS thinking 500 quid should get me a half decent one? Having said that if there is a truly great player for 6 or 700 then I don't mind stepping up a bit. Equally if there are machines that are lesser in price but produce great results then bonus! :D

To give you an idea of what I'm used to, I currently have an ARCAM DV79 DVD player which has been brilliant in it's own right and an ARCAM AVR300 amp. (I know I'm going to have to change the amp as well but first things first)

I also obviously a bunch of (multi regional) DVDs that I don't want to just ditch, hence the reason I'm looking for a good all rounder.

So any suggestions/advice would be most helpful. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
After some research I've noticed the Oppo BDP-83 keeps popping up on here and looks pretty damn impressive - I'd be very interested to hear comments from any of you who have one.

It seems to tick all the boxes for me and from what I gather the company are very good in general. The only stumbling block seems to be that I may struggle to see one in action before purchase, so your comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
:) Yes, the Oppo 83 is a great player, however you may well get what you want from a cheaper player. Do you require Multiregion BR or SCAD playback etc??

I guess you mean SACD mate? No, I don't need that but I do want multi region BR & DVD yes.

One of the (many) things that attract me to the Oppo is that it's said to be THE best DVD upscaler?

The reason for that is I'd like to keep the majority of my DVD collection and just replace my favourite titles with Blu Ray.

I guess you mean SACD mate? No, I don't need that but I do want multi region BR & DVD yes.

One of the (many) things that attract me to the Oppo is that it's said to be THE best DVD upscaler?

The reason for that is I'd like to keep the majority of my DVD collection and just replace my favourite titles with Blu Ray.

Yep SACD :D

It's pretty good, hard to say if it's 'The Best' but it's no slouch :smashin:

I don't think you'll be disapointed with the SD-DVD playback although I believe there are some minor issues with PAL. It being a Region 1 / A player.

However it does have a source direct feature ideal with SD-DVD if you are using an external scaler/processor or if your display has particularly good deinterlacing/scaling.

Because I'm a bit of a dunce I'm not sure about the tech details you used in your last sentence...... :blush:

My display will be the Samsung ^^ but I have no idea what you mean when you say "source direct". And I'm pretty sure my Arcam receiver doesn't scale or process? I wouldn't really know though.

However most of my DVDs are PAL Region 2 so what you've said does concern me a bit...... the Oppo I was looking at was from CRT Projectors (I think) that has been modded to play region free everything - do you know if that would overcome the problems you're suggesting?

If not do you have any alternative player recommendations that are on a par with the Oppo? :smashin:

Last edited:
The 'issues' I am talking about are very minor in the great scheme of things.. Most probably woulnd't notice.

Source direct allows you to send the video stored on the disc out of the player almost 'untouched' so that you can use whatever equipment you have that you feel would be best at upscaling and delinterlacing SD material. You say your receiver doesn't do any delinterlacing or scaling etc so it's probably a choice between the Oppo and your TV. I don't know much about your screen but suspect the oppo might be the better choice.

Basically like every other player out there, if you have specific requirements it's worth checking the Oppo83 does everything you require, if so then I suspect it will do it well. But then so would a cheaper £150 player, but then they wouldn't be MR. Or if you required analogue output then there might be other alternatives depending on budget and tastes etc..

What Audio connections has the Arcam got? I presume it's not got HDMI for audio?? In which case you are limited to using the optical output with standard DD and DTS audio or if it have multi-Ch inputs you can use the analgoue outputs from the Oppo and send decoded HD audio. But if it's Optical only then you might be better with a BR player that can re-encode HD audio and send via Optical.

Skip read up on the LG BD390, stunning upscaler of SD to my eyes.

I see. I would think/hope that something that minor wouldn't be too noticeable to me then. Is it a problem you notice with yours at all?

Again I'm not sure of the exact audio connections for the Arcam, but I believe it has multi channel inputs but no HDMi audio input. However, I DO intend changing the receiver at some stage in the near future as well to make the most of the HD audio but figured that I could live with decoded HD audio for the time being.

The Oppo does appear to tick all my boxes, but performance wise I was wondering if there are other players that perform similarly well. From the reviews I've seen/read so far it seems the Oppo is right up there, and it is within my budget, but equally if I can get an equally good performer (with BR and DVD) for say £200 then all the better as I can throw the savings at a new receiver :D

How do you find your Oppo in general and are there any issues minor or otherwise, that you think may be relevant?

:thumbsup:

Will do - cheers mate :smashin:

Do you own one yourself?

Yep best £220 I have spent on a digital source, sort of blown away with what this player does with SD DVD. Biggest surprise for me since buying it. Anyway a search of the threads on it will yield more info.

I have just read the forum review of it and it wasn't flawless on first reading, mentioning that when viewing a 1080P source the player messes with the picture by sharpening edges etc? Is this something you've noticed/addressed or is it not really an issue at all?

In any case I appreciate your tip and also that you will obviously give it high praise yourself so I'll seek out a few alternative user opinions as well. Thanks again. It's appreciated. :smashin:

How do you find your Oppo in general and are there any issues minor or otherwise, that you think may be relevant?

I like it :D

I've not had any problems with it, and CRT where I got mine from were great to deal with, which is an important factor in my buying decisions.

I think as you suggest the Oppo is one of the best all round players and it's certainly not the most expenisve so if you can afford it and it does all you require then it's probably a good purchase.

OPPO BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player - Benchmark

I have just read the forum review of it and it wasn't flawless on first reading, mentioning that when viewing a 1080P source the player messes with the picture by sharpening edges etc? Is this something you've noticed/addressed or is it not really an issue at all?

Nope, all I can say is that using 1080P BD discs and my 1080P Sony W series, I am blown away with the image I see, 40" mind you. Anyway more reading for you re. SD perforance:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-players/1258245-bluray-player-replace-hd-xe1-ps3-phat.html

Thanks guys. All good food for thought. :thumbsup:

I have read that Benchmark review already BM and it was one of the things that drew me to the Oppo. :smashin:

Long shot I know but I don't suppose any of you have seen both on similar displays in order to be able to offer a personal comparison?

Or in fact any other similarly priced/featured player vs the Oppo?

Thanks guys. All good food for thought. :thumbsup:

I have read that Benchmark review already BM and it was one of the things that drew me to the Oppo. :smashin:

Long shot I know but I don't suppose any of you have seen both on similar displays in order to be able to offer a personal comparison?

Or in fact any other similarly priced/featured player vs the Oppo?

I've seen both, both are able players and would pick the Oppo from what you have said you want. I would however say both are well ahead of the rest of the kit and neither will be the limiting bit of your set up on video. Oppo also does DTS reencode and if you decide on using analogue outs there is also an upgrade for the Oppo board. I would use DTS reencode however and upgrade to HDMI when the new receiver comes.

Last edited:
Do you mean other items in my kit will restrict the performances Nic? Specifically what mate?

Edit: I'm guessing you must mean the Samsung display? :(

Do you mean other items in my kit will restrict the performances Nic? Specifically what mate?

I would put it another way and say that these players will allow you to upgrade to large projectors, if you so wish, which are ruthless at showing faults and still be great.

Haha nicely done :laugh:

I actually liked the Samsung as the image I saw on it blew me away on a number of levels, and that was 'only' through component and from a Samsung £150 player. (not sure of the model now) I'm sure either of the two players discussed here will please me but having minimal technical knowledge, as I do, it can be a tad daunting at times. :blush:

It's good to know I'm looking in the right direction though.

Simple question if you'd indulge me: In your personal opinion, is the Oppo worth an extra 400 quid given what you know my requirements are and given my current set up? (with the 55" Samsung)

Simple question if you'd indulge me: In your personal opinion, is the Oppo worth an extra 400 quid given what you know my requirements are and given my current set up? (with the 55" Samsung)

no, but people like me prefer the best :smashin: however I have always been of the view that most people are spending waaay too much on Blu ray players, and then use none of the 'added bits' :blush: I like cheap players like the Sony 370 however in your case I would recommend a DTS re-encoder. If you are after mkv type stuff or DVD then things may change...:eek: worth the extra and what you asked for originally might be different however ;) you are however used to quality kit so treat yourself :)

Last edited:
Haha, I did indeed ask for the 'best' player. :blush:

So yeah butnotbutyeahbutno? Got ya ;)

Seriously though thanks for your input man. :smashin: I am in a quandry at the moment and my comments are probably reflecting that - I do want the best possible player (for the money) but equally I've been surprised at the apparent quality available for circa £200. I guess I should have said "pound for pound"...

But without seeing both (or more) in action myself (which isn't going to happen with the Oppo) I'm doubtless never going to satisfy my curiosity........

Cheers again for your help. It's appreciated. :thumbsup:

Anyway I'm away to Sevenoaks to demo some players on Saturday and no doubt confuse myself even more :eek:

Many, even the experienced die hards, are surprized by how much you get for so little, the ones that don't like it are the sellers like Sevenoaks and all the others....just be aware on saturday. :devil: More money is not always better technically...

If it was my money I would consider DTS reencode the important feature to add to what every player delivers as normal and would not worry too much about analogue outs if you are changing your AVR in the future.

Last edited:
Of course.

Sadly 'my guy' has left there now so I'm not sure I'd trust them 100% in any case. :confused: Need to see some players in action though and down here there ain't a lot of choice for good demo rooms.

Note that Sevenoaks don't sell players which do multi-region for Blu-Ray. If you ask if they do, they will "assume" ;) you are referring to multi-region for DVD and they will say yes, so if multi-region for Blu-Ray (which the Oppo does) is important to you, make that clear to the sales staff.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom