endov2

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a Panasonic ZT60 Plasma and a Pioneer Elite SC-79 Avr, both made in 2013, and have been wondering these days as to which blu ray player would offer the HD best picture to the plasma.

Would a UHD blu ray player be any better/worse or equal to an HD player? Like comparing a Oppo 203 to a 103/93? I was able to snag a panasonic ub420 for $150 recently but I wasn’t sure if that would get me the best 1080p picture as it’s a 4K player plus the build quality isn’t that great. The Oppo use the same Marvel video processor (unless it’s Darbee) that’s already in my AVR so I wasn’t sure if I would see benefit in the picture unless it’s different version?

My other area of concern is audio quality. Since I will only be using digital HDMI out, will the build quality of an Oppo or say the bigger brother of my panny, the ub9000, offer better noise reduction due to its better build and dedicated power supply?

Am I overthinking this or could guys offer any recommendations? I’m a big plasma fan, so until I upgrade to OLED, I just would like to know how to get the best audio/video blu-rays (and streaming) to my setup. Thanks in advance.

Playing a HD Blu-ray on a Blu-ray player and on a UHD player should result in the same output. The source is the same so you will get the same full HD output signal.

The player you use has no relevance to the display you use really.

If audio is going via HDMI then it should be the same whatever player you use as the player doesn't do anything to it. It just passes the audio data from the disc to the HDMI interface. The only time the player could make a difference is if you use an analogue audio output on the player (if it has one).

Get a 4K disc player. It is more future proofed. If you get a 4K TV in the future you can use it for 4K discs without buying new kit. I did this when my Blu-ray player died. I am still using a HD TV but at some point will get a 4K one so buying a 4K player made sense for future use cases and it will play my existing Blu-rays on my HD TV just the same as a HD only Blu-ray player.

Playing a HD Blu-ray on a Blu-ray player and on a UHD player should result in the same output. The source is the same so you will get the same full HD output signal.

The player you use has no relevance to the display you use really.

If audio is going via HDMI then it should be the same whatever player you use as the player doesn't do anything to it. It just passes the audio data from the disc to the HDMI interface. The only time the player could make a difference is if you use an analogue audio output on the player (if it has one).

Get a 4K disc player. It is more future proofed. If you get a 4K TV in the future you can use it for 4K discs without buying new kit. I did this when my Blu-ray player died. I am still using a HD TV but at some point will get a 4K one so buying a 4K player made sense for future use cases and it will play my existing Blu-rays on my HD TV just the same as a HD only Blu-ray player.
Ok cool, thanks for confirming that. I just thought maybe something like the Oppo 103D would look better on a 1080p display than a 4K player like the ub420.

Yes, I think you're overthinking it :) The UB420 should provide a great 1080p picture for your plasma and, as mentioned above, you won't need to upgrade your Blu-ray player when you get a 4K screen.

Build quality might affect how long a player lasts or perhaps how noisy it is, but I can't see how it would affect the picture or sound quality.

Perhaps a used UB900.

Yes, I think you're overthinking it :) The UB420 should provide a great 1080p picture for your plasma and, as mentioned above, you won't need to upgrade your Blu-ray player when you get a 4K screen.

Build quality might affect how long a player lasts or perhaps how noisy it is, but I can't see how it would affect the picture or sound quality.
Well I was thinking that the build quality of say the ub9000 could offer better audio since it has dedicated power supplies for both digital and analog, but maybe it would only apply if I were using analog out instead of HDMI. But cool thanks :)

Perhaps a used UB900.
How come a ub900? That looks to have the same build quality as the current ub820, excerpt for the legs in sits on which look like they are built better. It also doesn’t support DV, but nice it’s THX certified.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom