Best Blu-Ray player for apps and network streaming

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by geojay, Feb 26, 2013.

1. geojay

geojay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a Blu-Ray player but am also interested in being able to stream video from a NAS and the availability of on-demand TV / film apps.

For the on-demand apps I get the impression that Samsung is my best bet currently (iPlayer / Netflix / Lovefilm) and for the future (4OD / Curzon). Is that a fair statement?

For video streaming, I'd like to be able to use Ethernet to stream video in a variety of formats from a NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS Duo).

A fast start up time would also be nice. I have no interest in 3D.

Based on this, can anyone suggest a Blu-Ray player that I can get currently in the UK?

Thanks in anticipation

2. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    What about a PS3 ? :)

3. geojay

geojay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A PS3 would seem overkill, I'm looking to spend about the minimum required to meet my requirements. Anyone?

Can anyone suggest where I might be able to compare the features of current players?

Thanks!

4. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
  5. JinDavid

JinDavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about a Blu-ray Player Software? As far as I know, Mac Blu-ray Player released by Macgo is a very strong-function player for both Mac and PC to play Blu-ray directly.:thumbsup: Also it is the first success in this field. There is no doubt about its high quality.:smashin:

6. geojay

geojay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've actually just got rid of a HTPC, I found it too complex for my requirements. It always started up update Windows, Java, Flash or its anti-virus software ten minutes into a film. I want something that is as simple as my DVD player that will handle the majority of on-demand and network streaming tasks. For anything it can't do I have a laptop and an hdmi cable as a last resort back up. I really do want simple and relatively cheap.

Many thanks!

7. JinDavid

JinDavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I mentioned above Macgo Mac blu-ray Player is capable of any kind of Blu-ray playing with easy enough operation I thought.At the same time, its quality isn't reduced because of this. As to the price, is also acceptable. Or get its free trail version first.

8. p3eps

p3eps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm looking for something similar, so am looking forward to some sensible suggestions.
    I've just returned a Samsung BD-ES6000 to John Lewis as it played my MKV / AVI files with stuttering video - both off a USB memory stick and off my Synology NAS. The files played stutter free directly on the TV - so it wasn't the files.
    I swapped it for a Panasonic BDT220 today, but unknown to me the Panasonic unit won't play AVI or MKV over DLNA - only off USB... so is useless!

Now I need to find something else that will play large MKV / AVI files over DLNA, and doesn't stutter. Perhaps the Samsung BD-ES6100... although I fear it may suffer from the same stuttering as the 6000?

9. p3eps

p3eps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After reading a few other posts on similar topics, I think I might go with the LG BP620. All the players I've been looking at are around the £100-150 mark. The LG is the cheaper than the rest (£100). Some reviews say the menu system is slow at navigating through media files - but currently it may be the only option that does what I require?

10. steve23094

steve23094
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What did you end up getting, and how is it?

I'm looking for good streaming and media support too.

I have a Panasonic BDT-500 but I'm about to return it for a refund because it's my second one that has blown up in exactly the same way. They can't be very reliable and I have lost faith in it.