best big screen at the moment...?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by DamoM, Mar 24, 2006.

1. DamoM

DamoM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to replace my 3 year old Hitachi 42DPD3200 which has been a fantastic machine.

I have a big room and wanted to get something between 50" and 60" (HD ready) but there is not a great deal of choice at this size and there is a large discrepancie in quality too.

I quite like the look of the Hitachi 55DPD5200 but by the sound so of it, this is a 2 year old design so I guess ripe for replacement. However, my screen is wall mounted at the moment and so the scarts etc run into the seperate AV box with then just 2 cables running to the screen. The 55DPD5200 doesn't come with this AV box and has just one scart. Good for sky but not for DVD/VCR players etc. I believe the AV3000E box is available for the unit but I am not sure if you lose HD quality?

Does anyone have any ideas or experience of big screens such as these?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Depends what your budget is. You might get a corking deal on a Fujitsu 63 at the moment, or the Fuji 55, which is more up to date. All the Hitachi media box versions lose HD AFAIK. 50" screen is easy, I'm assuming you'd like a real big boy?

3. DamoM

DamoM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am open minded with budget but don't want to go mad. I wanted to go as big as possible!!!:clap:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Well what can we say! I get about 100 emails a day offering me bigger, er lets not go there on second thoughts! Panny 65 and Fuji 63 are best of the biggest, Fujitsu, maybe the Hitachi 55 next rank. Fujitsu's new models being imminent, the current 63 could be a good option. It's all HD ready and such, so evolution rather than revolution is what they are doing with the new one.

5. DamoM

DamoM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Do you know if any of them come with a seperate AV box like my Hitachi does? Mine is wall mounted and I just don't want all of those cables dangling from the bottom of the screen or have to go to the bother of creating a channel in the wall for them....?

6. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Sounds like you've got some cash to burn, get a scaler with a single video input to the screen.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Took the words from my mouth, well, not quite. As a retailer it's not very becoming to say someone's got cash to burn! A scaler or an AV amp with the right features does make an excellent AV hub. Connect 1 or at most 2 cables to the screen that way. I can't remember the last install I did which was not like that. There are some other threads on this subject, but I'm always happy to talk these kind of things through on the phone if that helps. It sounds complicated, actually not at all.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,516
    Hello DamoM

If your going for a 50" or above Display I'd definitely forget about a 'Media Box' model and instead include a programmable Video Processor in your shopping list.

All of your sources go to the Video Processor and then a single cable from the Processor to the Display.

If your looking for the 'Big Screen' experience and have a large room have you considered a Display + a Projector.

For similar money to a 55" or 60" Display you could have a 50" Display + Projector and 2m Wide 16:9 Screen - this time you'd split the Output of the Video Processor and your dealer will programme the Processor to give you selectable Optimised Outputs at 50Hz and 60Hz for both the Display and the Projector.

Best regards

Joe