BEST BIAS LIGHTING OPTIONS

It doesn't look as blue as this in reality but I'm not helped by the fact the curtains absorb light whilst the wall reflects.
But it's my only option for positioning so I will have to live with it.
20180328_134925.jpg

I did a little reading around 'ideal' brightness of the bias light and the consensus is 10% of the TVs peak light level, measured from the reflected surface.
I have my display peaking at around 140 nits from memory so will try and adjust, using the meter, to get in that ball park.
The only issue I see is that the TV is at an angle to the wall so I'll need to set it with measurements from the closest point and see how it looks.

Paul

I find the HUE light at 6500k and 1-5% brightness is pretty good for dark room viewing films etc.

Folks - after this reading this thread I bought some led bias lighting. Works pretty well. But do you need to do the whole TV as I’ve done about 3/4 of the TV.

Folks - after this reading this thread I bought some led bias lighting. Works pretty well. But do you need to do the whole TV as I’ve done about 3/4 of the TV.
Personal preference but I've only got mine down the sides and top.

Given that "6500K with a CRI of 90 or more" is the recommended bias light... Why is it so difficult to find a 5v USB powered LED strip light?

Does everyone just use white or can u do colours? That match what's on screen? Like phillipP

Afaik only Philips ambilight (unsure about hue) produce stuff that change colour in conjunction with what's going on on screen,I personally prefer having a single colour light on the back of my tv.

I loved the ambilight function on my old philips TV. I believer there are some systems which can copy this too? But I always enjoy having bias lighting behind my TV. I'm thinking of going for Philips hue and a whole smart room next time so its all linked.

What do you recommend for a 65’’ oled guys

Been using bias lighting for over 3 years now and no way I could go without it but had to go through several strips till I found one close to 6500k as depending on the retailer it can be called Cool White or Day White but once I had the correct type :eek:

When I have had people round to watch a film there first reaction has always been ‘why do you have lights behind the TV’ but as the evening has gone on they have discovered for themselves the benefits and several of them now too have bias lighting.

If you have a wall mounted set then I recommend you have the strip run along the bottom/sides/top so that the illumination is equal, tried just the sides and top and the total darkness at the bottom was distracting.

Does everyone just use white or can u do colours? That match what's on screen? Like phillipP

Afaik only Philips ambilight (unsure about hue) produce stuff that change colour in conjunction with what's going on on screen,I personally prefer having a single colour light on the back of my tv.

I loved the ambilight function on my old philips TV. I believer there are some systems which can copy this too? But I always enjoy having bias lighting behind my TV. I'm thinking of going for Philips hue and a whole smart room next time so its all linked.
There are a few kits out there that emulate the Ambilight effect, like this. However, bias lighting and 'Ambilight' are two different things, that achieve two different effects and only the former will improve perceived picture quality.

Paul

Can bias lighting work of your TV isn't bang against a wall? I've got a TV but there's a large gap behind it, wondering if the bias lighting would have any effect?

Can bias lighting work of your TV isn't bang against a wall? I've got a TV but there's a large gap behind it, wondering if the bias lighting would have any effect?
My C7 is in a corner with plenty of room behind. Also, half the area behind the TV is wall and the other half, curtains. So not exactly ideal.

But I find bias lighting makes a big difference when compared to watching in a dark room.

My C7 is in a corner with plenty of room behind. Also, half the area behind the TV is wall and the other half, curtains. So not exactly ideal.

But I find bias lighting makes a big difference when compared to watching in a dark room.

Maybe I'll give it a try.

BC59C71A-E0DC-44C0-90D6-040CFA78E818.jpeg

Bought the vansky one from amazon and LOVE IT! Even the wife does and that never happens!!

Afaik only Philips ambilight (unsure about hue) produce stuff that change colour in conjunction with what's going on on screen
I have the DreamScreen HD and 4K versions as we loved ambilight on an ancient Philips LED we had. We really enjoy the effect it has and does seem to help pictures pop.

My set up is very similar to Lin3ar's, in a corner at an angle and as you can see from the pictures on the previous page, bias lighting is still very effective.

Paul

Our TV is around 8" from the wall and the lighting is fine,if anything the further from the wall the bigger the area covered by the light.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom