1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best battery charger and rechargables

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by hoggch, Jan 23, 2005.

1. hoggch

hoggch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone recommend a good, value for money ;) battery charger? and some rechargable batteries?

need aaa specifically but a charger that did aa as well would be good. and not too bothered about "fully charging up in 15 minutes". overnight is good for me.

and where is the best place to buy? pricerunner wasnt very helpful for these items.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've used Ansmann for my recharger & batteries for use with my digital camera for a few years now. My charger is multi voltage with interchangeable plugs for use anywhere in the world.

Mark.

3. Mark Pitchford

Mark Pitchford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    7dayshop normally have a deal with some batteries

4. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    I've used picstop a number of times, very fast delivery.

5. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I've just done a week of research on exactly this topic - concluding with a purchase on Saturday. This is what I learnt (with the help of a more knowledgeable friend).

1. You want to be buying some NiMh rechargeable batteries.

2. You pay more for higher capacity AA (or AAA) batteries. AA top out at 2500mAh, and unsurprisingly these are the most expensive. Lower capacity batteries are cheaper.

3. You pay more for a charger that will charge the batteries more quickly. The fastest will do it in about 30mins; the cheapest in about 9 hours.

4. The cheapest chargers charge for a fixed period (or switchable between two periods) whereas the more expensive ones will autodetect when the battereis are fully charged. The fixed period ones could in theory overcharge the batteries and damage them - if you're not careful.

5. Even the cheapest chargers will charge AA and AAAs (you don't need seperate chargers). The more expensive ones will charge bigger batteries too - and all that.

6. By the time you have added postage, you might as well buy (for the cheapest batteries and charger sets) from Homebase or Focus. The web discounts are typically less than the postage rates.

All this concluded in me buying from Homebase on Saturday a Uniross charger (which will charge AA, AAA, and something else) complete with four AA 2000mAh rechargeable batteries (Uniross also obviously) for the sum of £14.99. I left the batteries to charge overnight (2000mAh ones take nine hours - it's a fixed period charger). I put two of them in my Samsung camera on Sunday and took 150 photographs in succession with the flash on, red-eye preflash on, and the LCD screen on. After these 150 photos (300 flashes) I gave up because the battery indicator was now showing half ! And I was fearing for the life of my camera.

£15 and four seemingly *very* long life batteries - which charge overnight. I'm very happy indeed.

Our digital camera at work has - it turns out - similar Uniross rechargeable batteries, and everyone tells me they have performed and lasted flawlessly.

HTH