Question Best Bang for your Buck

DannyB0Y

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello there everyone,

I have been doing some extensive research into buying a new 4K HDR TV. I am not entirely a "technical" guy although I do new a few bits about what to look for, and what not to look for. I have come here today, hoping I could get some great answers to my very simple question..

QUESTION: Out of the following TVs that are listed, could people help by listing these TVs from 1 (being the best overall) to 4 (being decent but the least good out of the 4)

LG 49UH770V £679
LG 49UH850V £699
Samsung UE43KU6000 £480
PANASONIC TX40DX700B £599
--------------------------------------------------
(Samsung KS7000 £899 - This would be the last resort due to the price and few reports of the frame coming apart.

Here is a little information for those who will attempt to answer my question. I know a lot of you would say the KS7000 but due to the price that would be my last ditch effort if none of the ones above would be sufficient.

The TV will be mostly used for watching normal satellite TV (very rarely though), Netflix, aswel as being primarily used for the 4K HDR GAMING on my Xbox One S.. I am NOT entirely worried that most of these may not meet the full HDR10 specification, though I know they will all make a difference to the 2 year old Samsung TV I have now, without HDR or 4K. The main thing I am requiring is the best picture quality out of the ones I have listed. As picture quality is of course the main point about buying any TV. So I am looking for someone to list in order the 3 best sets I have listed for Gaming/movie watching (1 being the best choice with minimal issues/problems and 3 being still good and wouldn't be unsatisfied with minimal issues/problems) that are the "BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK" Meaning the best for the prices they currently sell for. My budget is around £700 but could if I completely had to get enough for the KS7000.. although I would prefer to find the cheapest/yet best for their price 3 out of the ones listed.

Thank you to anyone who comments and helps me with this dilemma!

Last edited:
DannyBOY - thanks for this post.

I am in exactly the same position currently, same budget, similar model predicament and desire to use with Xbox One S (HDR).

I was initially led towards the Sony 49XD83 (which I liked) by Curry's rep at £799 but decided to sleep on it and do some reading on here last night. This has opened a can of worms as consensus seems to be the IPS panel (XD83) is inferior to the VA not currently available on the 49". However, I am wondering in real world (outwith specs) if this makes much of a difference, after all I'm still using an 07/08 Sony Bravia W LCD with a clouding issue, not even 24p and its served me well. I also have quite a wide viewing angle on one side of the room which apparently works with the IPS panels

I too like the look of the Samsung K7000 but price and the need to invest in an additonal 3rd party VESA stand because the end leg alignment doesn't work for my unit :( is putting me off.

I'd like a TV setup that can easily accommodate a sound bar neatly underneath the TV (not in front) as this has been a point of dispute in our house previously!

In all honesty if I'd just bought the XD83 & Sound Stage I'd likely be happy today with my new purchase - ignorance is bliss sometimes.

Will watch your thread with interest.

Blue

- UPDATE -

I have removed one of the TVs I had listed, so if people could help me and Blue here out regarding the final listed 4 and list them in order, 1 being best overall and 4 being still decent but least best out of the 4.

I'm in a very similar position too. I am considering some of those LG models. I know they aren't recommended by some but I wonder if for a non-expert like myself if I'd notice the difference in quality.

Incidentally how is it that the Samsung K7000 is said to have good viewing angles if it's a VA panel?

Last edited:
I am NOT entirely worried that most of these may not meet the full HDR10 specification, though I know they will all make a difference to the 2 year old Samsung TV I have now, without HDR or 4K. The main thing I am requiring is the best picture quality out of the ones I have listed.

If you're viewing HDR content then those closest to the full HDR implementation will look better.

The KU6000 has next to no HDR support. It can probably adjust the whole screen brightness within a normal range but it has neither local dimming nor a wider colour space.

The 770V, 850V and DX-700 all have increasing colour spaces (in that order) but only rudimentary local dimming that some reviewers have commented is better turned off and peak brightness isn't that high either. Sony's XD8 models are here, as are Samsung's KU6400+

The KS7000 has the wider colour space, a good local dimming system and double or triple the peak brightness. If you want good HDR performance than for an extra £200 it seems well worth the money. You can even get the similar KS7500 at 43" for £800.

If HDR isn't important then the ranking will differ based on what is important.

It's an odd selection of screens you have there, all different sizes and with no obvious feature in common (3D, Curved, same panel type etc.). Why those ones in particular?

thinking of buying one of these not a tv expert wich tv is best SONY BRAVIA KD49XD8305BU VS LG 49UH850V any help would be great

thinking of buying one of these not a tv expert wich tv is best SONY BRAVIA KD49XD8305BU VS LG 49UH850V any help would be great

The Sony XD83 has dropped by £100 since the w/e to £699 (Curry's BF deal). I'm thinking I might go for this. Reasons are, neither sofas is directly in front of the screen so wider angle IPS might work better for me. I like Sony, I'm replacing an 2007 W series which has been great for 8-9 years. This is a long time, a dinosaur in tech world so any current gen would prob look great ;) The Samsungs seem to have QC issues which puts me right off.

If you're viewing HDR content then those closest to the full HDR implementation will look better.

The KU6000 has next to no HDR support. It can probably adjust the whole screen brightness within a normal range but it has neither local dimming nor a wider colour space.

The 770V, 850V and DX-700 all have increasing colour spaces (in that order) but only rudimentary local dimming that some reviewers have commented is better turned off and peak brightness isn't that high either. Sony's XD8 models are here, as are Samsung's KU6400+

The KS7000 has the wider colour space, a good local dimming system and double or triple the peak brightness. If you want good HDR performance than for an extra £200 it seems well worth the money. You can even get the similar KS7500 at 43" for £800.

If HDR isn't important then the ranking will differ based on what is important.

It's an odd selection of screens you have there, all different sizes and with no obvious feature in common (3D, Curved, same panel type etc.). Why those ones in particular?

I see, so in your opinion out of the 4 (not including the KS7000) which would you say is the best all rounder?

Regarding the Samsung's KU6400 there has been a big issue regarding judder that is putting me off that set.. if it didn't have the judder issue then it would have been in the list.

Really, the reasons for the ones I have listed are because most of them are in the sales, and will be dropping while we enter into a new year and out of all the TVs I've seen in the sale the ones listed were all the best/highest rating out of the ones in my price range. I looked at many sites at the reviews comparing how many people reviewed them and the total amount out of either 5/10 that they received. These all had amazing reviews, so I ended up with these.

What's important is mostly picture quality and how well they are playing games on a console such as the Xbox One S (game mode etc). The picture quality is my main focus, then the HDR. Sound/stand isn't a focus as I use both a surround sound & table mount, so those two are not cared for.

Is the Samsung KU6470 any good? I know it has the judder issues, that's all I'm worried about with that.. I don't want to choose that if it has judder issues! Do you have any other TVs in mind around the same price range or?

The issue stopping me from just going straight to the KS7000 is also due to the many reports of the back panel coming away from the screen.. for a TV that's the price it is, it should not be doing that at all..

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom