Best Bang for Buck way of DVD & Sky+ to Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by D J Fryer, Apr 21, 2004.

1. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thinking that I may take the plunge for a Panasonic PWD6 soon cos of the prices and have been trying to work out how to connect DVD & Sky+ to Plasma getting the 'best value' high quality picture.

I had thought that I could put RGB from DVD through my Sky+ and then put this through a JS RGB to VGA converter then with a single VGA lead to the display. The way I see this is that I don't then need any additional terminal boards for the display and I have one leads to the plasma (easier to channel into wall!).

But my DVD player is apparently PAL & NTSC prog scan capable so would I be losing out by not using this method of connection direct to a component board on the display - the additional cost would be the board and a set of component cables.

Does anyone have any experience of the differing methods of connection?

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    You could use the single input but you may want to consider that with a single input:

1. You cannot have different picture settings for Sky and DVD (they normally need different settings IMO)

2. You cannot use PIP/PAP with a single input.

I would use the RGB2VGA for Sky and connect the DVD direct to the screen. You can either go for the RCA Component Video Terminal Board (TY-42TM6Z) or the Composite / Component Video Terminal Board (TY-42TM6Y) to connect the DVD player. Note that the 6Y video card is pretty much part of the standard bundles around for the PWD6 plasmas. Check out www.av-sales.co.uk or www.nexnix.co.uk as both are doing a screen+video card+mount for about £2250 inc VAT. They should be able to add in the RGB2VGA for a good price too ;)

Before I got my scaler, I used the RGB2VGA for NTL via the Panny VGA port and got great results. Then DVD straight to the screen using component to the 6Y video board - this will likely be best and you can then play around with progressive output, which is probs likely to give a better picture if it is a half decent DVD player...

Good luck! :smashin:

JJ

3. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for the input JJ - interesting points you raise about PIP/PAP - didn't know that was possible so that's a bonus. Got a Denon 2800 dvd player so I know that in its time it was decent - just depends on how much prog scan has moved on.

Do you AVIA or DVE each source used then? I suppose it makes sense to do this but had never thought about it before.

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    One option is to use the Master SCART Controller, a priority SCART switch, to be able to connect both DVD and Sky to the RGB to Plasma VGA and then to the Panasonic plasma.

Progressive output from the DVD player is good, but I've also got the option to use the Plasma VGA (I change my system round often) and VGA is sharper than component. It's still the best option, even if you've already got SCART input.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does your amp do any up conversion or switching?

maybe you could use that. with component out to vga imput on plasma

6. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I don't think the Pioneer 2011 up converts - what goes in comes out

symanski - that's heading toward too many extra boxes IMO - if I am going to use VGA for both sources then I think I will just loop the dvd through Sky+ - saves on the component cable cost then. If I am going to use prog scan from DVD to Plasma then I will have to buy a component cable.

I suppose that's why I asked the question - with my eqpt which method is going to give me 'best bang for my buck'.

The deals that are around at the moment are already stretching a non existent budget ;)

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    DJ Fryer

Another option for you - and one that works very well!!! (I am biased though as I sell all of this kit).

SKY+:
    Video - SCART Interlaced RGB converted to YUV*
    *using one of Johns converters.
    Audio - Digital Audio out to AV Receiver.

DVD:
    Video - Progressive YUV out
    Audio - Digital Audio out to AV Receiver.

Both YUV signals (plus two spare for future expansion) into a Zektor HDS4 YUV switch and the output of the HDS4 into your Display on a 3RCA to HD15 cable (see http://www.zektor.com)

The Zektor is taught the IR input commands of your Pioneer AV Receiver so when you select a new input you get seamless audio and video switching.

This works very well and though an extra box its one that doesn't get in the way of your video signal.

Jasonjo

Your display does have different memory buffers per signal 'type' so even though your sticking to one input it can be adjusted to suit each signal type.

Best regards

Joe

8. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The only benefit I can see there is the one cable from Zektor to display and video/audio switching that it does. The downside is extra cost and extra box (and cables) which would probably make me avoid it. What sort of cost does the Zektor come in at and would it allow PIP/PAP at all?

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Yeah good point, but if Sky and DVD both connect to the RGB2VGA surely the plasma will only see RGBHV signal and hence only one set of picture options???

JJ

P.S. Agree with John that RGB2VGA is the best way unless you want amp switching...

10. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I am about to order a PWD6 and JS RGB2VGA so we shall see what the results are like, thanks for opinions guys.