Best bang for buck 55" TV under £600

stu1873

My friend is moving into a new house shortly and is looking for a 55" TV pretty cheap.

Personally i would be looking to spend more on a TV as big as that but can anyone recommend a decent 55"TV that has good picture quality. The TV will be used for movies, general TV shows and some light ps4 gaming.

Dodgexander

Hard time to buy now since most 2016 models are sold out, whilst 2017 models are too expensive.

£500 is a very tight budget too, so right now it won't buy you much unless somehow you can find an open box/refurb or ex display somewhere.

So can't really think of one model to recommend new that fits that budget, but if you can find budget models like one of the Samsung 55KU6xxx series, Panasonic 58DX700, Hisense 55M5500..

But really hard to find now, 2017 models are all just as expensive if not more. Because the 2016 models are getting so thin on the ground now sometimes you see their prices shoot up too.

Do they have to buy now? If they can wait until black friday they might see a much better tv drop in to their budget.

Do they need wide viewing angles?

What about the second hand market? A 60" plasma can probably be bought for that much and it will beat any budget LCD by a lot in PQ.

stu1873

Thanks for the reply.

My mate obviously wants the new TV for when he moves into his house but i am in agreement with you that for £600 he isn't going to get a very good 55" panel.
For me the bigger you go in size you should really be looking at a decent panel to get the best viewing from it but he just wants a big TV and isn't bothered about all of the technical things that you need to calculate into getting one like distance from the TV, viewing angles and how it is for motion blur and back-light bleed.

Never really looked at Hisense before. do they have a good reputation?
This one is close to his budget HISENSE 55N5700 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview HD
I can't see him wanting to buy second hand tbh, i will see what he says about holding off until the sales to try and get closer to his budget.

Thanks again for the reply

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Argos have the M6600 for £600 which is the next model up from last year.

Hisense' higher end models are good for the money.

dmw3

Thanks for the reply.

My mate obviously wants the new TV for when he moves into his house but i am in agreement with you that for £600 he isn't going to get a very good 55" panel.
For me the bigger you go in size you should really be looking at a decent panel to get the best viewing from it but he just wants a big TV and isn't bothered about all of the technical things that you need to calculate into getting one like distance from the TV, viewing angles and how it is for motion blur and back-light bleed.

Never really looked at Hisense before. do they have a good reputation?
This one is close to his budget HISENSE 55N5700 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview HD
I can't see him wanting to buy second hand tbh, i will see what he says about holding off until the sales to try and get closer to his budget.

Thanks again for the reply
I agree with Dodge, on that budget a good second hand TV bought from the for sale section of this forum is a good bet(don't do ebay, see before you, or rather your mate buys. You don't want a dusty scratched plasma that been cleaned with windolene even if it's a Kuro).

You can get some very well looked after, low usage hours, calibrated plasmas for that money. These will be a massive improvement on anything one could get new on that budget.

Just a tip for your mate. Plasma's are what he or she should be looking for and if they do decide to go down that route, take a friend. Plasma's are beasts, my now departed plasma weighed 32Kg and was only 42". My son and his mate, who now has it, walked it 100 yards round the corner, and these two fit 20s somethings, struggled due to the weight.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom