Best backup programme?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by redmax, Mar 15, 2006.

1. redmax

redmax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    So....once you've got your lovley HTCP working perfectly:rolleyes: tweeked to within a whisker of perfection:confused: and generally works the way you want it to :suicide:......

What's the best programme to back up the whole drive, with drivers, programmes& settings etc thus enabling one to reinstall quickly and without too much fuss?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. 99Flake

99Flake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maxtor make an external drive with a one touch backup button. You simply plug in the drive via USB 2.0 and press the button on it. Then it does a Ghost of your computer onto it. All you do to restore is the opposite if all goes wrong. Haven't used one but it looks good. Only problem is that the capacities on them aren't high and you may not be able to backup everything but you would at least be able to get your OS and all the related settings as well as most of your music and films. All that would be left to do is re-install any apps. Other than that use norton ghost for your OS and keep the image safe on a CD and then copy all your data to an external drive and keep it safe.

The only thing truely big enough to do most hard drives on an HTPC (I assume you will have an awful lot of storage) is a tape system. One big enough however (400GB) would be £2900. Not really an option!

3. redmax

redmax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    99flake

I only want to back up my OS and rest of C drive. I have a 300gb in the HTCP but I have partioned with 40Gb for C with Os and apps etc.
    I have kept the OS install really light and do not intend to keep adding bloatware.
    I dont want a Maxtor cos i already own 3 more 300Gb drives in external caddies on the network which is where i store my media sources.
    This is why I just wanted to know which decent image drive backup software is worth using and reliable. I could then back up to one of the external drives for safekeeping.

I tried Norton Ghost but it didn't seem to like Windows MCE and refused to backup in prompt/dos mode.

I suppose I could just use windows explorer and make a 1:1 copy but seems it abit wasteful on space.

I tried Nero image drive but that didn't seem to complete properly either.

Maybe its me ;)

4. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140

i'd be very suprised if that worked! Some files need to be in an exact place on the disk, some are hidden(can be worked around though) and some will be locked meaning you won't be able to copy them.

I would suggest that you try and investigate why the other (Nero & Norton) didn't work, these are used by lots of people for the very task you describe.

What errors did you get? Maybe someone here can help?

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Norton Ghost and Acronis TrueImage are the best. Acronis also comes in a fully functioning trial.

6. boez

boez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    My recommendation would be Acronis True Image.

Works from windows even with the MCE services running. Can do full or incremental backups and can restore the whole image from a bootable CD that you prepare when you install the application.

But the best bit for me is that you can 'mount' the images you have taken previously which then appear as 'virtual drives' in windows explorer and you can access them at file level, i.e. if you just want to copy an individual file or folder from the image.

HTH
    Boez

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,009
    Another vote for Acronis True Image, its just the job.

8. redmax

redmax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Looks like Acronis for me then:smashin:
    Thanks Boez et el

Montyburns
    I can't remenber the exact error i got with Norton but I tried installing as soon as I installed MCE. I think it is beacuse I use SATA and the drive couldn't be recognised. Is this the case do you think?

As for Nero image it starts backing up then tells me it can't find a certain file which I search the whole Pc for and i could'nt find it either. So I gave up.
    I'll try this Acronis and see if that works.

Thanks

9. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Although a bit late,

I use Acronis.

It is fast, easy and reliable.

It saved me from catastrophy at least 5-6 times over the past 18months!

My OS partition is 7Gb and it compresses it down to around 2.7Gb.

I have scheduled it to take a full image of C every morning at 4am.
    I keep each day's image for a week so I have backups a week back.

The restore does not need the CD, it can be done by just selecting the restore and the Acronis Reboots into its own interface. In 5 minutes all is fixed.

The CD is usefull when the PC fails to boot altogether.